Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 33 of 2024)

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

I always try to role-play my character when playing games. Like, in Watch Dogs 2, our protagonist Marcus was pissed at ctOS, but at the end of the day when he joined Dedsec he was only a hacker not a killer. So I always only carried stun weapons. Fast forward to today, in a main story mission (heavy spoiler ahead) his friend was killed by gang members and Marcus was absolutely raging. So before starting the next mission, I got the silenced rifle and committed massacre in the following revenge missions. Absolutely no survivor. I even poped those downed enemies from non-lethal traps. To me, role-playing makes games funnier and more immersive to the story. What do you think? Do you also role-play?

Last edited:

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Completed Hi fi rush 100% what a great game,

Some friends really want me to play the Wolfenstein trilogy, will probably buy it.

i want start outer wilds in vr, never played and tried a little bit the mod, works great.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I bought and started playing Voice of Cards: The Beasts of Burden just a few days ago, and finished it today.

I very much enjoyed it, more than I though I would. In terms of structure, it's basically just an old-school JRPG, but the narration, music and story make it stand out. The music is fantastic of course, but I also quite enjoyed the story and characters.

It starts out with what seems like a rather generic JPRG setting, where you have the main character living in a small community which is hit by a disaster turning her into an orphan. So far, so normal -- although actively showing a kid also getting killed is not quite standard. Then you meet a mysterious boy (also normal!) and set out together. But the further you move on in the story the more you note how it's really not standard JRPG fare. Even quite early on, when you are betrayed by the people sending you on your first real quest, you don't just sulk, you kill them.

Later on there's this segment with the town using some "tinderwater", and the whole chapter is really just a thinly veiled allegory for oil and global warming, but it's pretty well executed. Even when you prove to the people that it's killing them, they still refuse to stop using it each for their own reasons. It even uses some orphans as stand-ins for developing countries. Didn't have to go that hard but it did, and I appreciate it.

Towards the end, you realize that monsters are human, humans are monsters, and that you are (almost?) the same as those you've been killing in revenge.

It's all very Yoko Taro.

Did I mention the music is fantastic?
And there are even some things that I'd call "gameplay innovations" that are actually quite nice, especially the map jump system and how it fixes my biggest issue with random encounters. And the simple party-wide resource system used for skills in battle is also suprisingly interesting and actually has some depth.
Oh, and the final battle sequence is great and challenging - I actually had to use most of my usable items in it, and it was a close (but doable) thing to manage it on my first try.

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Checking out the new Doom + Doom II release and yup, it's still Doom. The new soundtrack is nice. And that got me continuing my Black Mesa playthrough. Both of these games makes me wish real quicksaves were more common today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Trails Through Daybreak today (will write up my thoughts a bit later, need to think about it a bit) and I'm planning to finish A Plague Taile Requiem this week.

einstellung

Dec 31, 2018
CYGNI - All Guns Blazing: I don't play Shmups, so I don't know if this game is good. As a casual, I find the high production values to be exhilarating. I cannot believe they ask you to manually manage your shields, weapon strength and missile deployments while being melted by 10,000 laser beams. All of my nerve endings are fully electrified the entire time; I may not physically survive this! I have to coach myself out loud to keep my head. I beat the first level on normal, but had to go down to easy for the subsequent ones. Why would you lead with the longest level that has multiple boss fights? Why is nothing on this upgrade screen explained? Anyway, it's very boom-boom, which is all I wanted from it.

Wanderer: I've been playing a lot of action games, so I craved a puzzler. This is a well-done VR puzzle game. I suppose you could call it a multi-dimensional escape room. You are able to transport the objects you find between different vignettes in time, in order to solve puzzles you otherwise wouldn't be capable of doing. My only complaint is the controls are mediocre at times. It looks almost as good as Half-Life Alyx sometimes, but doesn't control nearly as well.

Amanda The Adventurer: Creepy and nostalgic horror escape room game. I don't particular like horror games, but this one is a winner. Only downside is the ending is simply a tease for the sequel. Most of the game is not too hard or too easy. A nice pleasant brain teasing time. There was one part that I never would have solved without a guide, nor would I have found the definitive ending, so I'd recommend using a guide after you feel you've exhausted all your options or enjoyment. I had tunnel vision around counting dollops of whipped cream and strawberries, instead of doing algebra. What a fool I am!

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
This week i have mainly been playing Starfield... modded.

Then i went and got distracted and finally bought steam keys for the original GTA Trilogy and have been bouncing around between:
GTA 3 Reborn
GTA 3 Extended Edition Plus
GTA 3 Just Gesha's mods updated by Lethality

Trying to get the GTA3 Definitive Edition Project working, the version i have seems a bit buggy so i think i need to hit their discord.

GTA Vice City ReViced
GTA Vice City Reborn
GTA Vice City Extended Edition Plus

When i decide which one i prefer from each i'll crack on with the games.

Then i have GTA San Andreas and various modpacks and mod lists to go through too.

Then i'll do the same for GTA IV Complete that i have had for years and not bothered with.

So yeah, ADHD is a bitch :)