Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 35 of 2024)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Upon finishing Watch Dogs 2 last week, I started playing Little Town Hero. For those who don't know, it is developed by Game Freak and it is on Steam.

The game never got discounted. Not even once. It is sitting at 64 on metacrtitic, and apparently it sold gangbuster on PC, with a stunning CCU reaching mere 11 players.

JRPG is false marketing because it should be identified as a card game like Slay the Spire. Enemy actions in each turn are labelled and players are expected to tackle them through every possible means. The unique feature is that the boss battle involves moving around the whole town like a board game with dice roll, and there are spaces where allies and useful gimmicks with different functions to assist you bringing down the boss.

It has many flaws and they show. RNG plays a big part in every battle. Sometimes I can bring down the enemies within fewer turns because of useful skills given at the start of some brutal turns or a good dice roll. In most cases boss battles are long fights which can last for over an hour with no save point in-between (and I am at chapter 3 only). At default difficulty (Hard) bosses really play unfairly and many of their buffs are brutal. There is no deck building but only a skill tree to upgrade the cards. The game is also obviously developed under tight manpower. Limited scope, reused assets, lacking QOL, bug... The PC "port" is a also a straight port with 30fps lock (use Lossless Scaling) and graphical settings which are nearly inexistent.

However, oh boy, I am enjoying it. While the game is unforgiving and RNG-heavy, the victory from each boss battle feels earned, and pulling off the right strategy is satisfying. Learning curve is steep and players are really expected to utilise every tactic to defeat the bosses. Characters are also charming (except the one rivalry who can't give you a break) and story is a bit intriguing. I can see why some people would regard it as a complete mess, and I expect to see later bosses throwing complete bullshit at me, I will stay open-minded and see how it will play out.

Also the first half of this review explains the mechanics concisely.

Btw, I also continue playing Dungeons of Hinterberg. Great game all in all. Please play it.

Edit: Oh shit, I forgot mentioning that the music is done by Toby Fox. Tracks are really good.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
Still playing bravely deafault II, finished chapter 2. I'm still confused why the games sidequests have a number if i can't check a questlog to see which I've completed (I know someone made a tool where you can upload a save file and it will tell you how many you have completed but still).

it is developed by Game Freak and it is on Steam.
I appreciate that game freak has an internal policy, that if someone has an idea for a game they can pitch it and then if it's interesting they can develop it but they don't usually seem to sell a lot, tho.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I appreciate that game freak has an internal policy, that if someone has an idea for a game they can pitch it and then if it's interesting they can develop it but they don't usually seem to sell a lot, tho.
That's very cool.
Just Cause 2.

I need to fight my base instincts and try not to 100% every location. :rip:
Being someone who got all the achievements in JC2...

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Monkey !
I would not have bothered if I knew in advance it was at times a super hard souls like.
The art direction is stunning, though.

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I finished EDF recently (was playing in co-op) so I'm back to spending more time on Trails into Reverie.
I reached the finale, so I'm probably halfway done :p

Honestly, it's a shame that this game is probably the single least accessible Trails game (given that, unlike some other entry points, it really does require having played at least 6 100 hour games to make sense).

Out of the "PhyreEngine Pentalogy" (i.e. ToCS1-4 + Reverie) it is by far my favourite:
  • Due to the 3 concurrent on-going stories, the pacing is much smoother and there's less downtime.
  • Since they can re-use things from across 4 major games, there's a huge amount of environment and enemy variety.
  • It's the extreme late-game culmination of the battle system and systemic character building evolution over 4+ games.
    When your characters start at ~ level 100, and you have several dozen of them, and literally hundreds of items and quartz, then the parties and builds you can create are just ludicrous.
  • I like minigames in JRPGs. I think this game is the undisputed king of minigames of the 100-or-so JRPGs I've played.
    It has at least 4 minigames that I would call very full-fledged, and this doesn't even include things like fishing, or the banana boat ride, or the horror coaster (which would probably be highlight minigames in other games).
  • From a bit of a more behind-the-scenes perspective, it's fun to discover the (few, but rather obvious) cutscenes where they used their new toolchain and see how much better the animations are.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Beat a side quest boss in Little Town Hero today. Me during the fight:

I was literally catching my breath afterwards because it was such a close call. Haven't played a turn-based Japanese game in recent years with such difficulty and there is no grinding in this game. Damn it was fun.

Annnnnnd I need to beat it second time with a fixed deck for an achievement... :astonished-face:

Last edited:
Reactions: einstellung

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Oh no, you don't need to collect ALL of them! Only need 75% completion rate on the map, easy! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
NGL, that actually makes me consider it. 75% is like nothing! :toucan:
I guess we'll see how close I am once I'm done with all the missions. I've been generally completing most bases and villages/towns when they are part of a mission but there's like full sections of the map I haven't even been to yet. :D

einstellung

Dec 31, 2018
Prodigal: Might have stumbled upon a new favorite (not like #1, but a new addition to the Top 100 kinda deal). Imagine a Stardew Valley village with the usual quirky villagers to get to know and a cadre of possible love interests. But instead of farming, you went off and did 2D Zelda dungeons. This is a combo I didn't know I wanted (SV has combat too?? I haven't played SV). I almost dropped the game in its first hour, but after I started to see what it was going for I couldn't stop playing. The game is quite easy, and the bosses are badly in need of invincibility frames so you can't waffle-stomp them. While this would usually bother me, I just enjoy how the game feels to play. The bite-sized game play loop: always switching back and forth between secret-hunting, dungeoneering, progressing the villager vignettes and wooing, keeps my attention.

I have learned that I am particularly susceptible to Game Boy nostalgia, specifically games that feel in such that way.

I very much appreciate that the dungeons are short. The game appears to have a longer "post-game" than its entire main story. The game has been slowly trickling intrigue in to my ear and the difficulty is starting to ramp up. I'm not expecting coherent deep-lore buried underneath the surface, but maybe the game will surprise me again, and it's another reason to keep going. New game plus appears to have optional challenge modifiers to address its low difficulty.

The game is slowly getting weirder, but in a good way, it's giving me Earthbound vibes, and that's driving me forward. I'm intrigued to see where it all goes. The game has a direct sequel already out.

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher