Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 42 of 2024)

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Busy week irl, so I focused on Death's Door. Reached the final boss. The game started slow but became more enjoyable after entering the second biome. I am glad that the game is not overstaying its welcome because I managed to finish most of the content in 10 hours. Going to finish it within the next few days so I can jump back into other games.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
Played a bit of Holocure while I waited for the release of Metaphor.
I've completed the first story dungeon, now doing stuff until I reach the next story event. I'm liking it so far.

Reactions: Cacher

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Played through the new Genshin story, which was fantastic.
Still slowly making my way through Kingdom Hearts 2, though much slower. I think I hit the point in long games where I just need to step away for a bit before coming back re-energized.
Instead I played through Remnant: From the Ashes and its DLC, cause I'm interested in Remnant 2 in the current Choice and I liked what I played when I first picked it up. It's pretty solid.
I'm not sure if I want to try out Remnant 2 right away or pick up Persona 5 again and try to force myself to not get stuck in a completionist/perfectionist mindset.

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip and Cacher

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
After finishing Strider last week, I bought and started Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

So that's probably going to take a lot of my time in the coming month. I don't expect to do absolutely everything in it, but I'm definitely enjoying my time so far and I've kind of missed playing AC games.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Wereverine

Jan 30, 2019
Valheim has gotten its hooks in me again. Currently working through the Ashlands update and I'm building an endgame base in the northern half of the map, in preparation for the eventual Far North biome update.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
So far it's good and I'm even like the dub
The EN dub is actually really well-done. Using mainly British VAs and using EN-gb instead of EN-us for script localisation is a choice I can get fully behind.

I'm actually spending time reading the Memorandum from time to time, too. It has some nice lore in it.

Spent most of my weekend with the game and stopping just after clearing Kriegante Castle. Game is alright, I guess. :flare_lmao:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
The EN dub is actually really well-done. Using mainly British VAs and using EN-gb instead of EN-us for script localisation is a choice I can get fully behind.

I'm actually spending time reading the Memorandum from time to time, too. It has some nice lore in it.

Spent most of my weekend with the game and stopping just after clearing Kriegante Castle. Game is alright, I guess. :flare_lmao:
I find that going with EN-gb localization and British VAs is (almost?) always the correct choice.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte
OP
Cacher

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Defeated the final boss of Death's Door. Tried a few times before defeating them. I died once because the rumble was so strong it made my controller disconnect lmao.

Apparently there is more to the game after checking the achievement list. I will probably not return to the game if I shelf it now, so going to continue playing.

TrishaKit

Dancer
Aug 11, 2021
I finished Atelier Totori! I got a bad end, and then proceeded to look up guides and youtube videos on what I missed and there is so much! The game has so much heart and I already really like seeing Totori go from this meek girl who can only do rudimentary alchemy to being a great adventurer! But the stuff with her mom hits close to home and it so heartwrenching. Atelier Totori is so cool and the time limits ain't nothing to sneeze at, even if they seem very relaxed at first you still gotta explore in between other stuff.
Now that I've finished Totori, since I don't own Meruru, I decided to move onto Sophie since I own that one and never finished it.
And man
I feel like this game is such a step down
Like okay, artistically its very pretty to look at, and it runs really well (though I've had the rare and occasional graphical glitch). But I never feel pressured to do...anything at all in the game. Where it could take upwards of two weeks to get to far away locations in Totori, it takes like 2 days at most in Sophie. Most sidequests don't have time limits, so there's nothing making the player go complete them. You have this objective to make new things to help Plachta regain her lost memories, but getting new recipes was changed from reading books you buy using money you earned from completing quests to getting new recipes from examining the right object or killing the right enemy or crafting the right item, with no explanation of what exactly you need to examine/kill/craft. Its all guesswork, so you can wind up frustratingly stuck needing to make an item you don't have the recipe for and not knowing how to unlock it, making the player waste a lot of time without making any progress. Without any idea of what exactly i need to do next to progress, and without anything pressuring me to progress in the first place (no clear objective+no time limit to complete said clear objective), I'm finding it harder for this to hold my attention.
I wouldn't necessarily say Sophie is bad; its relaxing in its own way. But it feels less gamey, and I feel thats to its detriment. Can't say I like Sophie as a character as much either. Seems more generic.
Strangely I didn't feel so down on Ryza when I played it despite it also not really having a time limit, but I think I forgave that one because it felt more like a traditional jrpg where you're on an adventure learning about a mysterious lost empire instead of this weird in-between place where its like I'm playing a slice of life anime without any teeth. Ryza also had a more engaging combat system and learning new recipes wasn't so obtuse.

Anyways have some screenshots of one of the graphical glitches I encountered for funsies:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I finished Atelier Totori! I got a bad end, and then proceeded to look up guides and youtube videos on what I missed and there is so much!
Totori is probably my favourite entry from the Arland series. There is something to be said about how dealing with loss of a loved one can elevate Totori to aspire to something greater. If you're keen to play NG+ at some point, there is a rather poignant ending involving her extended family and her achievements that cemented her status as an adventurer even greater than her mother. I recommend it more than the “true ending” because it signifies Totori's growth more than anything else.

TrishaKit

Dancer
Aug 11, 2021
Totori is probably my favourite entry from the Arland series. There is something to be said about how dealing with loss of a loved one can elevate Totori to aspire to something greater. If you're keen to play NG+ at some point, there is a rather poignant ending involving her extended family and her achievements that cemented her status as an adventurer even greater than her mother. I recommend it more than the “true ending” because it signifies Totori's growth more than anything else.
I def liked Totori a lot more than Rorona. She's more likable and shows much more growth as a character. I enjoyed
going out to sea to fight flaustraught and my reward was a Witch's Staff, and then Totori had to return home and break the news of her mother's seeming passing to her sister and father.. And yet, despite that, she kept on. Seeing the true ending on Youtube while I'm happy she gets to save her mother, in some regard I like just having seen her deal with and overcome tragedy, especially as someone who's mother passed many years ago.
As for NG+...
I'll return to Totori someday and do that I think. I really liked Totori and I think it solidified itself as one of my favorite games, and I say this having also beaten Rorona and Ryza. Not anytime soon though, I have a terribly short attention span and feel the need to play something new for the time being. Well, new to me at least.

Last edited:
OP
Cacher

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Follow-up to the last post. I just uninstalled Death's Door. Tried the post-game a bit and there's too much walking. Going to watch the true ending on YouTube and call it a day.