Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 43: Oct 24th - Oct 30th, 2022)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

I have been switching game from game lately. Apart from Judgment, I started Super Mario RPG and Poison Control. Former is an eternal classic that still plays great in the present day; the latter is a niche janky third person shooter developed by NIS that is mediocre but also interesting at times.

Thanks for my deck and Switch, I can enjoy all these games during commuting. Handheld gaming for life!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Still playing through P4G. Mid-July as of last night on Deck.
Pretty satisfied, the game spiced up the narrative well enough as it was beginning to feel super repetitive. On the downside and as the dev has no idea about pacing, it took an unending narrative tunnel to happen.
But cool, new characters, mystery still opaque, all right.

And yeah, if I’m still not sure about my love of the Deck as a separate machine, it’s perfect as a Switch like experience. Play P4G on the desktop during the day and continue on the Deck in the evening. Perfect.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Still playing through P4G. Mid-July as of last night on Deck.
Pretty satisfied, the game spiced up the narrative well enough as it was beginning to feel super repetitive. On the downside and as the dev has no idea about pacing, it took an unending narrative tunnel to happen.
But cool, new characters, mystery still opaque, all right.

And yeah, if I’m still not sure about my love of the Deck as a separate machine, it’s perfect as a Switch like experience. Play P4G on the desktop during the day and continue on the Deck in the evening. Perfect.
I played and finished P4G earlier this year and I can't say I love it. It's a a good game but progression is very repetitive in nature. Personally I prefer traditional JRPG where characters go on a quest around the world, seeing different locales and helping people in needs, rather than stuck in a few confined hub worlds like Persona. Dungeons in P4G also basically have no design at all. They are just corridors after corridors. The characters are pretty cool though so I still enjoyed the game enough and put 90 hours into it, but I will definitely not replay the game because it was just dragging at times.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished A Plague Tale: Requiem last week. I really liked the first half, but the second half felt a lot worse as the developers ran out of gameplay ideas. Also the story gets significantly worse in the second half.

I started Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope. I'm enjoying it a lot and it will probably make my GOTY shortlist, but I'm not as enamored by the movement system compared to the first game. The new movement system feels like a hybrid of the first game with a dose of Valkyria Chronicles added in as there is free movement. The first game's movement felt more tactical as the grid system meant you had to plan all your movements in one turn while you can now be sloppier with your execution as dash and jump abilities are only limited by the number of charges you have.

I've also been playing a bit of Across the Obelisk. It's a mix of Slay the Spire and Darkest Dungeon. I still haven't had any successful runs, but I feel like I'm learning the mechanics enough that I will eventually be successful (which is normally the most fun part of a new rogutelite for me).

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I played and finished P4G earlier this year and I can't say I love it. It's a a good game but progression is very repetitive in nature. Personally I prefer traditional JRPG where characters go on a quest around the world, seeing different locales and helping people in needs, rather than stuck in a few confined hub worlds like Persona. Dungeons in P4G also basically have no design at all. They are just corridors after corridors. The characters are pretty cool though so I still enjoyed the game enough and put 90 hours into it, but I will definitely not replay the game because it was just dragging at times.
Did you play P3 or P5 ?
I vastly prefer P3 but it may be nostalgia related.
That being said the dungeons in 4 at least have a theme, I swear, outside of one I vaguely remember, the dungeons in P3 just change colors. It's maybe the greatest upgrade of P5, where you have actual thematic dungeons but with level design this time around.

But yeah, I can only fully agree. I love the series, particularly P3, but it's far too repetitive and long. Cut half that shit away and you have a better game, I say. Though some new ideas would be cool, too. The formula, as good and novel as it was, is wearing thin.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So I am continuing my journey to be better at FFXIV. This is an ongoing process. I am currently, with the aid of my FC, trying to clear a savage raid. Pandemoneum 5 Savage. Plus going to resurrect my White Mage.

Outside of that, I am playing Stardeus, Prodeus and I have Blood, Teef & Shootas to play as well.

And then there are the usual back ups that will end up eating into my gaming time. Vampire Survivors and Dorfromantik.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Surprisingly enough I finished Trails from Zero over the weekend.
The power of the Steam Deck combined with spending most of the time in bed when you feel a bit under the weather is truly tremendous.

So this week has Iwaihime, to get a horror fix before the month ends.
After that I'll either go back to exploring the desert in Genshin, or continue on with Utawarerumono game 2.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Lots I am playing through

On Steam Deck:
Persona 5 Royal - Eagerly been waiting for this for ages, plan to finish
The Case of the Golden Idol - Once I saw the Lucas Pope recommendation, I had to check this out. It is simpler than I hoped, but I have enjoyed it. Steam Deck controls are not ideal, but it works well to me.

PC:
Disney Dreamlight Valley - Cannot decide if I like this game. It is somewhat better than Animal Crossing, but worse than say, Stardew Valley. It is clear it is trying to lean into those fanbases and fans of these genres. Once they start to monetize this, it will probably become god awful.
DJMax - Still playing season 7

VR:
Koi-Koi VR: Love Blossoms - First VR VN, not sure what to think yet. Mostly worked on setting up my VR space again.

I think I will try to finish season 7 of DJMax and finish The Case of the Golden Idol sooner rather than later to get back to some other games I was playing or planned to play.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Did you play P3 or P5 ?
I vastly prefer P3 but it may be nostalgia related.
That being said the dungeons in 4 at least have a theme, I swear, outside of one I vaguely remember, the dungeons in P3 just change colors. It's maybe the greatest upgrade of P5, where you have actual thematic dungeons but with level design this time around.

But yeah, I can only fully agree. I love the series, particularly P3, but it's far too repetitive and long. Cut half that shit away and you have a better game, I say. Though some new ideas would be cool, too. The formula, as good and novel as it was, is wearing thin.
Yeah, I played P3P before. The Tartarus, and my poor English which prevented me from understanding some social link dialogues and story, made me quit the game. I don't know much about P5 so it is great to hear that it has hand-crafted dungeons. That is a huge plus in my book.

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I barely touched my blitz game (Lightning Returns) last week. Maybe I'll get back to it this week.

I played a fair bit of Triangle Strategy. It's actually quite fun. There's no cover mechanics so far, but the elevation/positional mechanic is enjoyable. Also spent about 4 hours in XCDE. It's actually quite comfy. :flare_bath:

This week I'll try to play a bit more of Hob's Barrow (It's super unsettling) and reading a bit more of The Curse of Kudan (yuri and ghosts—name a more powerful combo)

Reactions: Cacher

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I started and finished Escape Memoirs: Mini Stories. It's a neat free escape room game. Not terribly obtuse puzzles in the end. The one issue I had, and probably will always have with any kind of puzzle game is that I always wonder if I'm supposed to be able to solve puzzle x now or am I still missing some vital piece of information. Some games are fairly good at signaling that, but certainly not all.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I've finished Dark Forces with TFE. Meaty Doom-ish combat but few enemy types & bosses. Nice levels for the most part, mazes like Doom but with some objectives more involving than colored keys and some nice tricks of its own with more 3D capabilities than Doom engine could do. Good stuff, recommended.

Last edited: