Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 43 of 2024)

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

My whole week is devoured by Heaven Burns Red, a gacha turn-based RPG by Key. Already put 20 hours into it during the past week.

Story is written by Jun Maeda, the writer behind many classic visual novels like Clannad and Little Busters. Story is great and writing is mostly great as well. I love reading the banters between characters. There are so many dorks in this game, and I was certainly not expecting a funny and horny lesbian protagonist. One minor personal complaint would be the writing in some key story moments feel slightly forced. While the story is touching, I don't feel like crying because well, real people do not talk like this.

Nonetheless, I really look forward to reading the remaining story. In the Steam thread I wrote that I planned to drop it for a few days to prevent burn-out, but this is a FUCKING LIE. I finished the first story event right after clearing Chapter 1 main story because I need to know what happen next. Also, already started Chapter 2. New characters are being introduced, and I seriously can't wait to continue reading.

Last but not least, I plan to be a full F2P player because of the bad pull rate and no FOMO in the game. Most of the legacy content is in the game so there is no need to rush. Global release is coming next month, so if you enjoy reading good story, please do consider giving it a try.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I continue my journey with Wukong on my main PC. The game is average, to be honest. Pretty graphics and it is relatively bug free. But other than that, the game is pretty stale, because there aren't too many customization options and there are limited ways to play - only one weapon and few spells to choose from. I think I'm at the end of chapter 3 and I wonder if I will even finish this game, as it is boring at times.

On Steam Deck, I stopped my playthrough of Ni No Kuni 2. After 14 hours it still didn't click with me. I hated how little cutscenes there were. And the constant fetch quests killed my enjoyment of this game. To do one main story thing in this game, you have to do 2 or 3 other quests. So, I uninstalled this game and started South Park: Stick of Truth. Only played for an hour, but I like what I have seen so far.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Pretty much just Metaphor. Currently in the third dungeon, and having a lot of fun with this game. Everyone is calling this "Persona 6", but it really manages to put its own spin on things, and most of the things it burrows from Persona are just so much better by not being in the context of a school boy who hast to be romantically involved with every girl in the party. Everyone is in the same line, it's just the world around them that' the problem and the game has such clear focus in what it wants to be. Things actually change at a rapid pace in a way that is not compatible with what modern Persona games are about.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Last week I said I was gonna try Persona 5 again and try to not get stressed the fuck out by the timemanagement and so I did. Started a new game and used trusty ol' Cheat Engine to bump up my Social Stats a bit, so that I wouldn't have to worry about those and have enough time to take it easy doing whatever I want. Working great :blob_cheatengine:
Am already further than I was previously (closing in on finishing the 2nd palace and will probably finish it today, was at the beginning of it when I restarted).

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Assassin's Creed Valhalla, about 67 hours in. :sweaty-blob:

Sadly it's a bit unstable, what feels like completely random crashes. Seems like it started with the last patch a few years ago and never got fixed. :minos_sad:

I'm enjoying my time with it, but it does a pretty poor job with separating the DLC and additional quests they added over the years from the main game. Only the Ragnarok DLC is marked with a symbol in the quest log, and it opens up super early during the campaign. All the other DLC stuff and extra quests open up fairly early too, but at least most of those can be done out of order without too much main story spoilers.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Heaven Burns Red Chapter 2 spoiler
Going through Ch2 is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. There are so many death flags for Aoi so I seriously doubt that she can make it to Ch3. Yet the players can do nothing to stop the train. What we can do is watching her and the main girls becoming friends and hanging out before the inevitable.

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
My current time wasters of choice because I don't want to commit to a long playthrough session:
  • Glyphica - kind of barebones at the moment but it scratches that typing game itch. Today I spent a record 68 minutes in endless mode wishing desperately for the game to end.
  • Mamono Sweeper - personal goal is to clear the Huge mode without losing any health. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to complete the Blind mode.

Reactions: Cacher