Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 48: Nov 28th - Dec 4th, 2022)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
We are entering December! What are you playing during this final stretch of the year?

I am still going through Harvestella. Over 20 hours and I have finally finished chapter 3. The whole chapter was divided into three parts and they acted as introductions to some towns and main party members (already have 7 characters), and also gave some insights to the villain and what is happening in the world. At this moment I honestly have no idea how the plot will develop other than one particular, obvious, twist: I think Aria is not time-travelling to the past. The current world is likely the future from her timeline. Anyway, story is very intriguing so I wonder how the writers will be able to give out surprises down the road.

I also started Chaos;Head Noah on the PSV, one of the two versions of the game without any censorship. I remember watching the anime years ago. It was ok but very rushed. Now this game has a very intense opener and I am already in love.

Dec 5, 2018
Got pulled back into Vampire Survivors, got the new unlocks and all the secret characters that I was missing (plus the new one). I'm done until they (inevitably) update the game again.

P5R, Currently on Christmas eve (which i think is the last dungeon of the original game). Until November i was kind of fine with the balance between Daily life/Dungeons/Cutscenes but man like 2-3 hours of straight cutscenes wa too much for me.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm 3 puzzles away from finishing Globesweeper Hex Puzzler. Hasn't really been any new blockers, just really need to be meticulous in these final ones because the amount of different rule types in play gets to be a bit much. What's worse is that some of the icons used for them are not easily identifiable at a glance, so it's a lot of 'middle click a block to verify the rule type' busywork. I mean technically they are identifiable, but when you are using > and < as your markers for max and min, it's kind of always easy to mix them up. Something like arrow up and arrow down, or plus and minus, or having them be different colors even would have made it less of a hassle.

Also started Outland last week, I'm at the last bigger area now I think. Not sure if I'll 100% it, depends on how much I end up missing stuff in the end.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I was trying to gather my thoughts about Pentiment, which I completed on Monday night (or Tuesday morning, to be exact, since it was nearly 2am when the credits roll).

It was nothing short of a kamige.

The game was a thought-provoking work that ask the players a question: do we as humans shape history, or do history shapes us into humans?

I am not a student of history by any means, but the way Pentiment presented its historical framework was both entertaining and educational. Not only that, but Pentiment's outer layer of a detective story doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what the game was all about. The narrative structure of the game is one of the finer points which it excels at. The choices and consequences of the protagonist's actions can (and will) shape them as a person, including the community they belong in. Similarly, the choices they didn't make will have consequences too, sometimes at the cost of a human's life.

As much as I loved the game, I'm aware that it's not for everyone. If one dislikes reading or its art style in general, I can see people not giving it a second look. I've also had seen complaints about how the game is overtly “feminist”. I feel that this complaint should be treated as a compliment, since the issues faced by women in early 16th century still exists in early 21st century, albeit not as pronounced.

Anyway, I highly recommend this game. It's a bit short (only about 15-20 hours). But it's a prime example of a $20-tier indies that worth more than it asked. I'm glad that a game such as this is still being made today, with their creativity to remain unhindered by publisher's whims. It's a definite entry in my GOTY 2022 ballot.

For the rest of the week, I'm continuing my playthrough of Kishin Houkou Demonbane before getting back to Xenoblade 2 for the weekend.

Last edited: