Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 5 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Wow, January is ending! New Year was like yesterday to me. Time went way too fast. Anyway, what are you playing?

I am playing Hi-Fi Rush, like all those cool people on the street. I don't want to sound gushing, so, good people of MC, PLAY THIS DAMN GAME!

Also start picking up a few old 360 and One games for my newly-acquired Xbox Series X. Currently replaying Call of Duty Black Ops. I love the twist of the main story so it was one of my favorite COD games. This time I am playing with eyephones on and the soundtrack is surprisingly good. Really enjoying my time with it.

Last but not least, I am also replaying Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time on the 3DS. Many people say it is the weakest entry in the M&L series but I really can't agree. Love the main story twist and also love fricking alien invasion in a Mario game. Bros items are also very fun to play as well. Overall huge improvement from the first game on GBA.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I finished The Witcher 3 and High On Life this past week. I have been playing both since December so it feels like it has been an eternity since I last played something else as far as single-player games goes. I planned to finish the Blood & Wine expansion too but honestly, I don't think I want to see Geralt's face for a good three or four months.

Anyway, considering February is packed if I'm to start something new this week I want a game on the short side of things. Hi-Fi RUSH is very tempting, although I should play what I've already bought like Grand Theft Auto III DE or maybe Ghost Recon Breakpoint, or Ghostwire Tokyo. Dunno.

So, nothing set in stone so far for this week for me! Although I just looked and discovered that HFR clocks at about 10.5 hours and that fits perfectly for this week.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Still playing ECHO, kind of ran out of steam with it a bit with the checkpoint stuff that I mentioned in the previous thread. Will have to fight my basic urges to get every collectable and just play it like a normal person. :grinning-face:
Also started a freelancer campaign in Hitman World of Ass. It's interesting and kind of surprisingly difficult. All the locations have been stripped almost bare from all the pickups, there are some here and there but you better bring specific gear with you if you want to do specific things. Plus you start your freelancer career with almost nothing as well, so. I don't even have a silenced baller yet. :dmcblob:
And still playing Dreamland Solitaire here and there, something like 80% done, maybe more.

Once I'm done with ECHO, I'm probably going to start Subnautica again. 🏊‍♂️

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Digging into Hi-Fi Rush's postgame content. Feels like I could potentially spend a ton of time on this.

I'm also about halfway through Dead Space (2008). It's pretty cool. Maybe I'll even get around to the remake by 2038.

I've also been playing a bit of Treasures of the Aegean on my Deck. It's... not very good, but in a fascinating way. I've never played anything like it before, and I'm kind of curious to see how hard they go with its timeloop mechanic in the finale.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Err, let me think.

Maining Persona 5 Royal
Pretty glorious. It took me one failed attempt a couple years ago but I'm truly enjoying it now. The refinement of the formula between 3, 4 and 5 is truly impressive and I can't wait for 6.
I made peace with the pacing, knowing I will have gameplay once every blue moon, but the saving grace is that 90% of the writing is very solid, I blame the less logical sentences in the 10% left to some dubious translation.

Side Playing Ys8
On the other hand this shit is going to sour me on the Ys series, at least the 'three characters' Ys.
30h and the main topic just appeared in a meaningful way. 30h of industrial accident level dialogs. Like in Trails 1 cinematics it seems Falcom has a fucking rule of three. If a dialog doesn't have characters repeating something in three different ways, it's a bust.
The island gimmick is nice, but it's a pretty empty island all things considered, I miss my dungeons and talking about gimmick, the raids are a snooze.

They even shat the bed on the enemy AI. 3d Ys are a shadow of 2d Ys combat wise, but here the vast majority of the mobs act like home missiles, it's mediocre.

Side Playing Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (remake on NDS)
I'm pretty sure I made a mistake by playing the remake of the original game like I could really play every FE in order, but for now it's pretty good.
It's relatively hard, or at least there is an obvious potential for that, the dialogs are too flat, and it's basically a sequence of battles.
But the battles are good, and the lore while basic and weakly narrated, nice enough.

Limboing Death Stranding
Game is a lot of things, and fascinating by a game design stand point, but it's not fun to play.

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Still playing Persona 5 Royal, looks like the main story is finishing after 100 hours spent, but the persona levels are telling me there are still plenty of game to go on o_O

I've picked up Hitman 3, I've played the first two missions and it's good that the formula gets shaken up a bit. I'm not spending a lot of time revisiting the scenarios, but will be interesting to revisit them keeping the story / easy mode aside.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I'm continuing to play a wild mishmash of games for various amounts of time/sessions.... sorted by Recently Played:
· Zachtronics Solitaire (just always fun for a quick game of whatever Solitaire :) )
· AC Valhalla (works only on Deck, not my PC because the engine doesnt play nice with the Linux Nvidia drivers)
· Watch Dogs Legion (quite a lot of fun so far, stutters tho)
· Disney Dreamlight Valley (right now Im just checking in once a day to buy whatever is in the Scrooge McDuck ingame stuff store that day; it has rotating inventory...otherwise I have all the current content done)
· The Last of Us (PS Plus Streaming, just had to play it again since I enjoy the HBO show a LOT, but man does it look blurry and plays badly on PSPlus...really should wait for the PC version)
· Hitman 3 (tried out Freelancer, but its crash-prone)
· GTA 3 Definitive Ed. (I forgot how small that map is, and how the GTA mission design had some serious weaknesses.. Technically it could be worse, could be better. It likes to lock to 30 fps, and if you go to the menu, it likes to dip to 10 fps for some weird reason)
· Hi-fi Rush (played it for a while, not bad)
· Sunset Overdrive (played that again for a few missions because the Hi-fi Rush vibe reminded me of it)
· GTA Vice City Definitive Ed. (the Miami vibe is still nice, the missions are a bit better here than in GTA 3)
· GTA San Andreas Definitive Ed. (might still be the best GTA. I think they couldve done better with these versions, but they are at least servicable)
· Blacktail (I dunno what it is with this game, I cant play it for more than 15 minutes, I cant seem to get into the groove anymore)
· Kena (same here!)
· Final Fantasy VII Remake (played it for a bit and liked it)
· Steelrising (first boss killed me a bunch of time, need to revisit)
· Dungeons and Dragons Dark Alliance (eh, a bit of a mediocre game, but some fun gameplay nevertheless)
· Gotham Knights (enjoyable enough in short bursts)
· Plague Tale 2 (still plan to play through it :D )
· Immortals Fenyx Rising (see AC Valhalla: works only on Deck. fun game tho!)
· Sword and Fairy 7 (again, a game I will enjoy for 30 minutes and then lose interest for days or weeks)
· Asterigos (its also a fun game and I wanna definitely finish it, need to get back to that)
· The Uncertain: Light at the End (a Russian Last of Us with robots ;) its not bad tho, and I enjoyed it so far, but also only in 30-minute increments)

and oh god I looked down my Steam Library and its never ends, there are so many games that are quite alright, are enjoyable, fun to play, all that ... but dont fully grab me.

I wonder how Im ever gonna finish even one of them ;)

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Dead Space and XCOM2, trying to work out what to play next.

Started Chernobylite, it's ok so far might continue it.

Restarted State of Decay 2 in Heartland as I found out the main game is completely directionless. Also my doctor was ripped apart by a Goliath as I couldn't attack said monster as since we were fighting near a car the game assumed I wanted to sit in the back seat of the car instead. I couldn't get out as the goliath kept hitting the car stopping the animation.

Also tried Deep Under the Sky, some sort of weird jellyfish thing

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Was really busy last week and somewhat this week, so hardly any gaming time.

Persona 5 Royal (Steam) I am slowlyyyyyyy proceeding at this point. I think I am in start of November. Maybe another 40 hours to go haha.
Neural Cloud (Mobile)

Just barely started:
Muv-Luv Unlimited: TDA - Episode 00 (Steam)
Witch on the Holy Night (Switch)

Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I started playing Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising on the Deck.
So far, I'm quite enjoying it.
  • The graphics look nicer than I expected, at least on the small screen of the Deck.
  • The controls seemed a bit floaty/wonky at the start, but after unlocking a bit more and getting used to it they aren't bad. Not at all among the best 2D action platformers (an incredibly high bar), but more than serviceable for an ARPG.
  • I like the basic idea and mechanics of various minor tasks helping build up the settlement. I can see it getting a bit repetitive, but I do like optimizing my material gathering runs (since way back in Atelier).