Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 9 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Jesus, Feb is ending. What are you playing?

Still playing Ar Tonelico 1. Ten hours in. I am fairly surprised by the sexual metaphors in this game. The main girls belongs to a female-only race called Reyvateil. The Reyvateils cast spell for their partners in battle, and the stronger the relationship, the stronger they will become. The partners can also enter the mental world of Reyvateils (called "dive") to strengthen the bond and discover new spells together. Diving should be mutual consensual and the place for them to conduct diving is called dive house, and these dive houses look exactly like love hotels. In addition, the evil corp in the game is known to force their employees to dive so they can become stronger. Well shit... :face-with-cold-sweat:

The gameplay during diving is basically handled like a visual novel with level-like progression. Like relationships irl, the girls would slowly open up their hidden feelings and secrets during each dive. I like this mechanics a lot and it is a good way to go deep into the characters, although the writing is so far fairly mediocre and mundane.

Combat is still very easy and difficulty is honestly inexistence. But I continue to enjoy what they do. Fun game.

I also played 4 hours of Atomic Heart. Really beautiful game and it also plays nice. But I discover that the Xbox version has a bug where TV screens in-game show nothing, so I have probably missed some lores due to this bug. Waiting for a patch now.

Dec 5, 2018
About to finish FE Fates (Revelation), 4 chapters left, should be done today or tomorrow, depending on how long they last. I there are some DLCs left to try, but after that I'm done with the game(s).
Overall, I liked what I've played specially the conquest and Revelation paths, but at the same time It took so long that I don't think I want to touch this game for a long time (If at all)

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
since it came out its mainly Hogwarts Legacy (currently about 50 hours in, and still liking it a lot!), with some Asterigos inbetween (new DLC was released recently, but I am nowhere near done with the main game even. The lack of any ingame navigation makes some sections tedious to get though).
A bunch of other games (like Kena, Plague Tale 2, Gotham Knights) are on the backburner right now.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Still doing Yuzu/Ryu. Hopefully gonne get done with Metroid Prime Remastered today, then Im gonna check out Part-Time UFO, Mad Rat Dead and some other titles.

Really wanna play some games on my PC, both from the winter sale and recently bought (Atomic Heart, Hogwart's, Returnal etc.), but decided to make myself done with Yuzu/Ryu games regardless how long it will take.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I cleared Wanted: Dead the other day. Had sooo much fun, its a bad PS3/360 era action game brought kicking and screaming into 2023, bad controls and all. The difficulty curve is all over the place, and the action gameplay is janky as hell - beating the last boss almost gave me an aneurysm lol.

But the game is saved by its incredible weirdness - karaoke singalongs of 99 Luftbaloons, ramen eating contests, Jim Jarmusch style conversations about nothing, literal anime fever dreams, and hours upon hours of The Room level voice acting. I bought a physical copy of the CE for PS5 as soon as i finished, as this has future cult C-game classic written all over it.

As for right now, I fell head first into a Yakuza Ishin shaped hole. I've played 20 hours in the past two days, send help. Such a refreshing alternate take on the original RGG formula, and a criminal amount of addictive side content. :dizzy-face:

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Continuing my on again off again playthrough of Quantum Break since it's release on Steam. Last time I stopped because the live action video was playing too fast on WIndows 11. But apparently Microsoft fixed it with a windows update, weird.

They're really banking on this game to be a big IP back then I guess huh? Those live episodes must've taken at least a small portion of their budget. And the steam version only offers streaming which sucks.

The game itself is not bad. I think with Control they improved the gameplay somewhat with faster and snappier movement than this game. Graphics still holds up now that I have a gpu that can play it at high framerate without having to turn on the awful upscaling method they use back then.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Despite finishing several games, my Now Playing list seems to be getting larger, not smaller. 2023 is a banger year so far.

I got the secret ending in Returnal, so I think I'm shelving that (though I may give the tower a few more tries). Fun game, but it started to feel like a slog as I figured out just how tedious it is to optimize your growth.

I finished my playthrough of Wanted: Dead, then almost immediately started it up again and am now over halfway through hard mode. The game's a hot mess, but I love the combat.

I thought I was done with Pizza Tower, but I guess I'm not, since I went back and started chasing P-ranks. I have 3 so far. They're tough to get, but so satisfying.

I started Stray, which shouldn't take too long. So far at least, it's fucking bizarre how this game makes no attempt to bridge the divide between you playing a realistic cat, and that cat somehow acting like a typical video game protag.

Got through the first Gulcasa encounter in Yggdra Union. The difficulty is getting out of control, and the game feels like it wants you playing with a strategy guide. It's fun, but I'm starting to wish it had less obtuse nonsense.

I've nearly cleared the second area in Labyrinth of Refrain. The first time I tried this game, I only just made it to the third area, and I can see why I quit. This area is a total slog. The dungeon design is fine, but the tower enemies are basically harmless while also being super tanky, and it makes combat into a chore. I really hope the third area is a bit faster than this.

I picked up Grim Guardians: Demon Purge and Pocky & Rocky Reshrined, but I'm not sure if I'll put much time into either right now. Both seem good though.

And then I'm planning to pick up Phantom Brigade and Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty this week. So I'm hoping to wrap up Stray and the Wanted: Dead playthroughs before those start hitting. Otherwise this list of games is going to be way too much to juggle.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
All-in on Digimon World: Next Order currently. I'm liking it way more than expected.

Also gonna be checking out Limbus Company, which releases in a couple hours. It's a gacha from the Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina devs. Haven't finished either of those games yet :face-with-cold-sweat: but hey. They have stellar (and extremely messed up) lore/world building, so I'm quite intrigued.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm playing through Returnal in co-op. Just got the first "ending" today. Pretty neat story idea for a rougelike "bad ending" fakeout!

Also, K-T got me: I bought the "Mysterious DX" Atelier trilogy bundle. I already played and loved Sophie, but never played the other two since they really messed up those ports.
Since I read that they mostly fixed the ports for DX (still nothing to write home about, but not outright broken) I bought those.
I'm really curious about Atelier Firis since it seems like one of the most divisive games in the franchise. Only an hour in so far, so I can't say much yet.

Still playing Ar Tonelico 1.
Ar Tonelico 1 is a pretty good JRPG, and the world building is quite interesting.

But Ar Tonelico 2 is the real gem. It's easily in my top 5 JRPGs on PS2 (and that's one of the most stacked platforms for the genre).

I picked up Grim Guardians: Demon Purge
I also got this, and we played through the first 3 areas so far. Seems very solid.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started Watch Dogs last week so I'm mainly playing that at the moment. It's pretty standard open world all in all, but open world shit is my shit. I do enjoy the whole aspect of hacking cameras to basically do recon and then do a relatively stealthy approach into an area. On the flipside of that is that every single time the game has forced me to engage in an active firefight it's been pretty miserable.

I also ended up buying Atelier Ryza a few days ago so I'm probably going to start it this week after I finish washing the dogs.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Since I finished Chaos;Head Noah yesterday, I now started Dead Space and it's been pretty good in its first hour. I played the original, but never finished it, so it's interesting how much of it feels familiar and yet been clearly very carefully upgraded. The port is pretty good so far, just had to swap out the DLSS .dll to remove the annoying ghosting the base game has. Now it feels really great, aside from clear loading stutters when you enter new areas, it's pretty smooth and plays pretty well on keyboard and mouse.

Also trying to finally finish up Yakuza 5. I'm on the final character Shinada, and currently doing his side quests and the batting side story. I will neither confirm nor deny that I'm heavily using Cheat Engine and its speedhack to completely trivialise the batting mini game.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished Atomic Heart. It was an okay game and I liked some of the puzzles, but it runs out of steam near the end.

I dropped Wild Hearts after about 25 hours. I like the gameplay mechanics, but there just isn't enough stuff to do to keep me engrossed for hundreds of hours like Monster Hunter.

I started Octopath Traveler 2. I've only got a few hours played so I can't say much, but I'm just happy at the prospect of playing a comfy JRPG in bed. For now I'm playing Octopath 2 as my "main" game and doing a bit of side stuff like sporadic hunts in Monster Hunter and runs in Dead Cells.

FunnyJay