Community What makes the western/cowboy genre so special to you?

SlasherJPC

MetaMember
Sep 25, 2018
So for those that don't know me, I'm Justin and I'm a HUGE western fan. I've lived in Southern Arizona most my life, live a short drive from Tombstone (yes that historical bang bang cowboy city) and I've just always had a fascination with the genre and setting since I was little.

So I've created some videos over the months leading up to the release of RDR 2 and wanted to share them with you. Not only that though, I wanted to ask what makes this genre special to you if you enjoy it. I recently did a video on this very topic I'll include here in the post and some of the other videos of interest in relation to it. Take your time, there is a lot to digest in these videos.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
hard to say for me really ... but i just always liked movies set in the wild west (especially spaghetti westerns) ... there's just something about that stuff that i really, REALLY like!

(awesome thread, by the way ... and great videos! keep up the good work!)

Reactions: Kurt Russell
OP
SlasherJPC

SlasherJPC

MetaMember
Sep 25, 2018
I LOVE Westerns, and games set in the Wild West kinda let me live my own Western, so I'll take any I can get.
Same here, I'll take as many as I can get. I mean there is quite a selection over time but the genre is still super untapped. I've got a small collection of western games spread across PC and console. Wild Guns, Wild Arms 3, Gun, CoJ 1 and 2, RD Revolver, RDR, West of Loathing, and some others but man, I just want more.

yup, same ... still salty about RDR ... but at least we're getting new Desperados :D ... AND probably a new Call of Juarez now that Techland has the IP back :D
That was great news to hear also! As for a new Call of Juarez... GIVE IT TO MEEEE!!!

Alcoholikaust

The Drunk Cat
Sep 20, 2018
Dirty Jersey
For me it’s the untamed wilds. I mean don’t get me wrong a cool rpg with monsters is great -but the rawness of how grounded a western is even if exaggerated is great. Walking around in the environment miles from civilization and you stumble across a bear or a group of bandits feels different when in this setting compared to say Geralt and you have a bunch of spells that you can spam to get out of danger.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, exactly ... there's just "something"

and also - the soundtracks ... THE SOUNDTRACKS!!!