|OT| Where We Game 2020 - RGB Lights Optional

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Good timing, as my desk is somewhat empty right now. No RGB here*, just as plain as possible. :p
* except the mouse, which I guess I could disable if I could be bothered

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
High Five, xinek! I'm the same, I'll need to tidy up before i even consider posting a photo.

I also prefer looking at "Real People's" setups than most of the multi-thousand pound setups that just look like a set from a catalogue to sell you expensive stuff.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I was going to take a pic yesterday, but decided to wait until I finish putting up new roller curtains.
Maybe I'll do some dusting while I'm at it. :p

I talked about this a bit on a discord the other day, but I've been thinking about doing some "furniture mods" lately, but I don't have the space for it.
Buying a little worn furniture from flea market and painting it and stuff like that. Maybe I'll post the pics here if and when I get any of that done. :)

I've already changed the fabric of 3 chairs I have, one more to go.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
As promised, here's my two setups.

My desk with my Surface Pro hooked up to an ultrawide monitor. I stream games from my PC in the living room to this. It was surprisingly difficult to get the streaming working as I'd like it, actually. I have a variety of screens at different resolutions (Surface Pro, ultrawide monitor, Samsung tablet, cheap 7 inch Windows tablet), so I needed to use a DisplayPort headless dongle combined with DisplayFusion to make sure it all worked perfectly. Plus I had to upgrade my home network.

This is the TV setup. The TV is a little old now (about 7 years), but works fine and the picture is still great. I have all my gaming devices plugged in here, and if I want to play anywhere else then I just stream out.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Aah the classic Logitech 5.1 surround system! Used to have the same and so did all my friends haha!
Yeah, the sub and inputs are pretty good for what they are, but the satellite speakers on the z5500 are pretty bad so I bought a cheap yamaha satellite speakers set to replace them. Markedly better sound. Drect line input from my pc sound card and optical input from my tv for consoles and I got myself a pretty cheap and decent 5.1 setup.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
^ True! I figured most people here would own at least one mechanical keyboard. :dana_wink:

My keyboard setup (Das 4 + custom keycaps):

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Just wish there were ultrawide TVs available
There were, mostly from Philips if I remember correctly. They had a 21:9 aspect ratio and were supposed to eliminate those black bars in movies.
But it didn't catch on.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
There were, mostly from Philips if I remember correctly. They had a 21:9 aspect ratio and were supposed to eliminate those black bars in movies.
But it didn't catch on.
Watching movies on a 21:9 screen is great! Wish more movies were in that and there were more TVs like that. I liked it so much that I've been considering cropping my photos in that aspect ration haha.

Reactions: ISee

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Once the TV industry has run out of Ks to promote (I mean seriously, how high can you actually go in resolution before the difference is barely perceptible on even the biggest TVs?) they will have to find other ways to sell TV sets. Maybe they will try to push ultrawide then.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Once the TV industry has run out of Ks to promote (I mean seriously, how high can you actually go in resolution before the difference is barely perceptible on even the biggest TVs?) they will have to find other ways to sell TV sets. Maybe they will try to push ultrawide then.
I think the problem with ultrawide is that the content isn't really there. It's mostly bigger movies and those aren't really enough for most people to stand huge black bars.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
There wasn't a lot of widescreen content before HDTV sets came out. There were still TV shows as late as 2008/2009 still broadcasting in 4:3 despite there being widescreen TVs releasing a decade earler, and 4K HDR content has only really become a thing since the TV manufacturers decided that 4K HDR was the next big thing. I'd say it's a chicken and egg thing, but the content providers will never make ultrawide content if there isn't a screen for it. The problem with Philips' attempt at ultrawide TVs is they were the only ones doing it, which immediately doomed it to failure.

If the TV manufacturers agree that the next big thing they will push is ultrawide, the content providers will make their way there. But this is entirely up to the TV industry, who are notorious for slowly trickling out features people want in order to keep their annual TV release cycle from feeling stagnant.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
There wasn't a lot of widescreen content before HDTV sets came out. There were still TV shows as late as 2008/2009 still broadcasting in 4:3 despite there being widescreen TVs releasing a decade earler, and 4K HDR content has only really become a thing since the TV manufacturers decided that 4K HDR was the next big thing. I'd say it's a chicken and egg thing, but the content providers will never make ultrawide content if there isn't a screen for it. The problem with Philips' attempt at ultrawide TVs is they were the only ones doing it, which immediately doomed it to failure.

If the TV manufacturers agree that the next big thing they will push is ultrawide, the content providers will make their way there. But this is entirely up to the TV industry, who are notorious for slowly trickling out features people want in order to keep their annual TV release cycle from feeling stagnant.
The issue with ultrawide is that you need special lenses to record that stuff and up till now that only screens that showed that stuff was cinemas and still it isn't as common as one would hope. I don't want to sound pessimistic haha since I would love to have more content like that.;D

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Li Kao I'm mostly surprised to see someone still use a regular phone!:D
:smiling-eyes:
Yeah, I tend to work these things to death. LCD is dead on this one for example (and my dumb phone can't handle the date). But with the price of even a mid-range smartphone, and considering the very rough situation of our budget for the last few years, yeah it does the job.
I should look for reviews now, though. I guess we can enter the 2010's

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com

Case had to be put on desk because cat.
Secondary bed had to be put on desk because cat.
I'm wary to click things to not disrupt cat sleep.
I may have a cat problem :photoblobheart:
Come from the unbelievably cute cat, stay for the phone trapped inside the case.

Yes I know it's outside, but what has been seen can't be unseen