Discussion “Wiki games” and being overwhelmed

kaelan

Jan 3, 2020
I love Minecraft, but I recognize that I can only play it so comfortably is because I’ve been playing since alpha and I know how everything works, and I’ve learned organically as the game grew. Nowadays when I try to get into a new game where there is a lot of extrinsic knowledge, I struggle a lot because I don’t have the time and energy devote to learning about a new set of rules that aren’t made clear in the game. Recently I was playing Automation Empire and I was having a really hard time figuring out why certain components don’t connect together or don’t work in the way the tooltips seem to suggest. I also gave Noita a shot and there’s a lot of systems, and while I could invest some time and learn some of it organically, it just feels overwhelming. Then I noticed I’ve had that many times with many games throughout the past years. How do you deal with this in games? Especially games where there isn’t a larger community around them for you to immerse in and learn.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I usually try to not look at wikis or guides and trust that the game provides me with enough direction that I can organically find it all out.
Though recently I've been playing some Subnautica and I feel like it doesn't provide enough of a direction and it frustrates me to no end.
But I can't really recall the last time I was overwhelmed with systems and such right out of the gate, I'm probably not playing systems heavy games that much.

Though I do enjoy find out things on my own, at the same time I enjoy being part of the discovery with other people, I have a bit of FOMO for those types of games in particular.
Like imagine playing FEZ when it was brand new with everyone discovering it, sharing theories and such, vs now when there are specific guides to everything in the game just at the tip of your fingers, all you have to do is look for them. It's hard to resist looking up stuff immediately.

OP
kaelan

kaelan

Jan 3, 2020
One of these days I'll ascend in Nethack, I swear!
It does seem like roguelikes are most prone to this, but they also do the most to let the player learn organically learn. Simulation or survival games are where I really struggle.

Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I dropped Digimon World Next Order when I realized I had to make spreadsheets to get the Digimon I wanted, no thanks.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
There was a game I'm forgetting the name of that I beat and I decided to look up stuff after the fact and I learned that you could dodge after I beat the game and I just went "Huh that probably would of made the game easier"

Reactions: Dandy and lashman

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
lol ... oh, you :p
It was a game that had their dodge mechanic tied to double tapping the movement keys and I just never did that is what I am recalling? Most games generally had/have a dedicated button to dodge or whatever but it was the push in the movement stick kind of thing or double tap WASD movement to dodge and I might of done it once in awhile and never actually realized I was doing it on purpose

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It was a game that had their dodge mechanic tied to double tapping the movement keys and I just never did that is what I am recalling? Most games generally had/have a dedicated button to dodge or whatever but it was the push in the movement stick kind of thing or double tap WASD movement to dodge and I might of done it once in awhile and never actually realized I was doing it on purpose
oh yeah, plenty of games used to do that back in the day

but pretty much since Dank Souls - everyone is now dedicating a button to it (thankfully)

Reactions: Madventure

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
I try to figure out everything without guides, but is not averse to looking things up when I feel like knowledge gained vs time spent ratio is skewed towards the latter.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
No Man's Sky has a problem with this... Mainly with learning blue prints and such. There are so many, and figuring out where they all come from can be frustrating.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Back when I played Minecraft in alpha I downloaded a crafting guide app on my IPod Touch to help me learn the game lol. Mostly everything else was from experimenting and tips from friends or people on servers I hopped to. Honestly really enhanced the experience to me. I think it was my first time playing a game that I had to rely on out of game sources to really “get”

Terraria I had to have the wiki open at all times.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I'm not sure if it's all Paradox games, but I played the demo of Crusader Kings 2 and it was easy enough, small scale, straight forward. I got the full game a few months later and suddenly the tutorial is over before I know it, the tool tips are useless and/or non-existent and trying to figure out the game through experimentation and trial and error just overwhelmed me more. I feel like I needed an adviser just to sort out my advisers and a guide for everything.

I haven't played it in years, and it really put me off grand strategy even though that demo experience was pure gold.

Old school adventure game logic often falls into this sort of thing for me, but for those times, youtube can occasionally come in handy or I'll figure them out through sheer frustration.