Opinion Writing Council - What are the tools of your trade ?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Writers of Meta, hear my call ! Serious old geezers, fan fiction wankers, furry... err, individuals, everybody !

I was put in the mood to write. And I won't because I'm a ruin, a wreck, a shadow of my former self. But I think I'm DIGRESSING here.
So I'm in the mood, cool, but what are the tools at the disposal of the modern gentleman writer ? A pen is so passé :coffee-blob:

My knowledge of these tools stops at Scrivener in 2013 (by the way, thank you for making the new version paid, motherfuckers). I recently, well more like several months ago, heard about Wavemaker, how it was better somehow. And that's it. Which is a little short, young man.

So what tools, what app, do you use, how are you organized ? Writing apps, brainstorming apps, cloud things, anything in fact.

OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I said no pen, read the OP :grimacing-face:
That being said, your way looks cool !
But I don't do social life, so I will feel a little dumb with my moleskin and nice pen at home :cryblob:

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I just use Scrivener. It's nice to keep things organized (even with multiple languages, I mainly write in German but also sometimes make an english version), quickly rearrange scenes and it's compilation feature is very powerful.

For example I usually have this structure

With a folder for the language, a folder per chapter and then a file per scene with a short description of what it's about, which is also nice for doing just a little advance planning.
And then during compilation I can just easily pick the DE folder and only turn that into a PDF or ebook, and then do the same for the EN folder. Works the same for when you just want to compile a single chapter or anything else, really.

But I've never really looked around much, Scrivener was something a friend used and recommended and then I just picked it up as well.
Just looked at Wavemaker and it seems to pretty much do the same, but with the additional benefit of also having an app/being in the browser.
Might need to try that out as well :thinking-face:

It doesn't really make much of a difference though, since my ideas usually stay in my head cause I seem to prefer just thinking up all the cool stuff instead of actually writing it down in detail :grimacing-face:

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Well I have to thank you for making this thread which made me open Scrivener cause it made me sit down and actually write something. :steam_pigblanket:
Turned into a whopping 1.1k words and took me most of the afternoon :grimacing-face: (actually times two though, cause I ended up writing both german and english versions).
Hopefully this is a sign for things to come and maybe I can actually finish another story in a reasonable amount of time!

Going to share it here and in the writing OT that I made but never visit as well. :whistle: :confounded-face:
It's the first scene of the first chapter, which hopefully already makes for an intriguing opening.
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.