FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Developer: Egosoft
Publisher: Egosoft
Release date: 2018-11-30

About:

X4: Foundations is the latest title in the popular X series of space simulation / sandbox games, played as action games from a first-person perspective in a living breathing universe, with TRADE FIGHT BUILD THINK as the common tag-line. X4: Foundations is unique in its depth, simulating an entire universe of NPC ships and stations, forming a realistic economy. It consists of a huge universe, simulated from the bottom up. Hundreds of stations, and thousands of ships, trade goods among themselves. Prices change based on supply and demand; resources are mined and processed in several stages. This economy is linked directly to the simulation of major conflicts in a universe with dynamically-acting factions. Every player decision can dramatically change the future of the game universe. Step in and live your very own space adventure!

X4: Foundations has been significantly enlarged with its 4.0 Update – this is the perfect time for space game enthusiasts to newly discover or revisit the biggest space sandbox this side of the galaxy! Jump into your ship and experience completely new features such as Terraforming, new options for managing hostilities, improved fleet control, and a new emergency eject feature. On the technical side, the 4.00 update brings volumetric fog effects, improves the fading-in of asteroids, and adds a visual shield impact effect.

GameGrin said:

An ambitious, complex sandbox space game that allows you to do almost anything from spacewalking to commanding a carrier with a fleet of ships onboard.
GameTyrant said:
X4 has been more approachable than any space sim game I have previously attempted and I enjoy the variety of things to do. I have already spent an insane amount of time playing X4 and I don’t see myself stopping anytime soon.
Destructoid said:

Foundations is more of the same niche-scratching space exploration from previous iterations with a more immersive feel and I can't wait to dive back into my personal galaxy. For those that have been watching the X series from the outside, Foundations is a great entry point, provided you meet the beefy system requirements.
Expansions:

Release date: 2020-03-31

About:
TRADE
with the Split families or FIGHT against them. BUILD your own station designs based on the new modules and THINK carefully on your path through the new diplomatic missions.

Main Features:
  • New story missions and adventures with two new Split family clans
  • Massive expansion of the universe
  • Exciting new Split weapon technology
  • Many new ships
  • Lots of new station modules

Release date: 2021-03-16

About:
X4: Cradle of Humanity
brings the X series back to Earth. While significantly increasing the size of the game's universe with new sectors, the expansion also welcomes two Terran factions to X4: Foundations, along with their economy, ships, weapons and stations. New game-starts introduce the identity and political stance of the Terran factions, as well as give an alternative perspective on existing story developments in X4: Foundations.

X4: Cradle of Humanity also sheds a light on what has happened to Earth in the decades since the jump-gate shutdown. Furthermore, a certain pirate faction that is well known to fans of the series is making a dramatic comeback.

Main Features:
  • Big expansion of the X4: Foundations universe with new sectors
  • Return of Terran factions with economy, ships, weapons and stations
  • Thrilling new story missions and adventures to experience
  • New game-starts that allow new perspectives on the X4: Foundations story
  • Introducing a new terraforming gameplay feature, evolving the endgame
  • Visual improvements such as volumetric fog, making the X universe look better than ever

Screenshots:

Trailers:

Reviews:
Metacritic (59)
OpenCritic (68)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevey

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
This series should be right up street, but I've never got into it for some reason.
Pretty sure I own the first 3 games on STEAM

• Hug
Reactions: FunnyJay
OP
FunnyJay

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Hey, my first thread!

Anyone else playing this? I picked it up a few weeks ago after having it in my wishlist a few years. Previously I've played X3: Terran Conflict, X3: Albion Prelude and X: Rebirth and this game really blows them all out of the water!

Sure, there's lot of moving parts and you have to learn a lot about the game by yourself (or Youtube tutorials) but the scale of game is awesome!
And you get going A LOT faster than you ever did in X3 for example. Missions aren't incredible hard to complete in the starting ship and they reward you handsomely, so you can build a nice little fleet of ships in just a few hours of gameplay!

As someone who greatly preferred X3:TC or X3:AP over X: Rebirth, this game is a return to form. I haven't encountered any bugs as of yet either, so fingers crossed!

Reactions: Stevey
OP
FunnyJay

FunnyJay