News Xbox emulator XQEMU making remarkable progress

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Thought this was worth sharing. XQEMU is an emulator for the original Xbox that has been in development for several years. They've recently implemented sound support.

There are two Xbox emulators. XQEMU and cxbx-reloaded. They're both valuable projects, but XQEMU is focused on accuracy, and doesn't piggyback on Windows APIs the way cxbx-r does. (Thus runs on Linux as well as Windows.) HLE-ing the original Xbox is a very tall order for an emulator, and the LLE approach taken by XQEMU is arguably the wiser one long-term. Otherwise you end up in some serious trouble due to the complexity of the Xbox hardware and the endless API variants.

A huge amount of the research into how the Xbox work has been carried out by the XQEMU team over the years, and cxbx-reloaded has to some degree piggybacked on that work. It always got way more publicity, some of which was deserved of course. cxbx-r works quite well with some arcade ports, for example.

As the video description notes, the recently implemented sound support hasn't been made public yet. But the fact games such as Halo and JSRF are running with LLE graphics and with working, reasonably accurate sound is very good. By contrast, Halo pretty much doesn't work on cxbx-r, It just crashes after boot.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
oh damn ... that's pretty impressive!

thanks for posting that! :)

(by the way - you really need an avatar ... and a tag! :p)

Reactions: Ge0force

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I wish MS worked out some kind of agreement to publish BC versions of Gunvalkyrie and Otogi otherwise the emulation will be my only chance to play these games.

Reactions: teezzy and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I wish MS worked out some kind of agreement to publish BC versions of Gunvalkyrie and Otogi otherwise the emulation will be my only chance to play these games.
i wish SEGA would port Otogi to PC ... i'm sure it would sell - on the From name alone

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
i wish SEGA would port Otogi to PC ... i'm sure it would sell - on the From name alone
Maybe we should petition Devolver, if they can sell meme game like Metal Wolf Chaos maybe Otogi is a possibility as well.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Maybe we should petition Devolver, if they can sell meme game like Metal Wolf Chaos maybe Otogi is a possibility as well.
i'd rather not - they'd probably sell out to epic (like they already did with Observation and that John Wick game)

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
i'd rather not - they'd probably sell out to epic (like they already did with Observation and that John Wick game)
True, but the audience for games like Otogi is sitting on Steam, so there;'s still a chance they won't go with EGS for that one.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
True, but the audience for games like Otogi is sitting on Steam, so there;'s still a chance they won't go with EGS for that one.
i wouldn't be so sure about that ... Tim already desperately tried to get Sekiro on egs ... you think he wouldn't try again with another From game?

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
i wouldn't be so sure about that ... Tim already desperately tried to get Sekiro on egs ... you think he wouldn't try again with another From game?
He will, but Otogi isn't a brand new game and it'll be way less popular than Sekiro, there won't be as much resonance. But yeah, judging by the rumours about PS2 classics on EGS I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to moneyhat everything he can.

Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Did they sell out Metal Wolf Chaos to EGS? Even then, you waited 10+ years for a legal port, what's one or two more years?
Just hit up From's twitter otherwise.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
He will, but Otogi isn't a brand new game and it'll be way less popular than Sekiro, there won't be as much resonance. But yeah, judging by the rumours about PS2 classics on EGS I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to moneyhat everything he can.
yeah, exactly

Did they sell out Metal Wolf Chaos to EGS?
are you absolutely 100% sure they haven't? (and i don't care about their assurances - we all know those mean jack shit :p)

not like we can buy it yet ... so anything can happen between now and release

Reactions: SRossi

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
yeah, exactly

are you absolutely 100% sure they haven't? (and i don't care about their assurances - we all know those mean jack shit :p)

not like we can buy it yet ... so anything can happen between now and release
Considering Devolver has a bunch of games that are releasing on Steam (at least) soon, I don't see how that game wouldn't release on Steam.
Devolver don't publish all of From's titles, Bamco publishes them too, so have Activision. An Otogi release could be handled by SEGA EU for all we know, seeing as even Killer7 wasn't published by Capcom.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
I don't know why traitors like devolver and fucking epic are discussed in a glorious emulater thread.

Thanks for the news btw. Was news to me.

Reactions: Ge0force

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
This emulator and RCPS3 are the two I'm most interested in following. I wish I was a good enough coder to try and help these projects because getting to play older games without requiring the hardware is a dream. and would cost less than the hardware projects im planning to undertake.

OP
Aelphaeis Mangarae

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
XQEMU is now able to run/get ingame with the original Splinter Cell. There are numerous visual issues, including missing shadows, but the game froze on startup until fairly recently. Of course, the Splinter Cell game most people are interested in reviving through emulation is probably Double Agent because that version was never re-released, isn't on PC, isn't BC on Xbox One, etc. The PS2 version can be emulated but the non-Xbox/PC Splinter Cell games are hobbled in a number of ways.

Reactions: teezzy and lashman