News Xbox Gamepass annouced for PC, Microsoft Store will support Win32 and more Xbox titles coming to Steam

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
Tremendously well done OP, prudis!!

;)

Anyway, this is absolutely massive and I can't believe it's happening. While I hope I'll be able to transfer my Xbox Game Pass to my Windows Game Pass, I don't expect I'll be able to--and I'm kind of OK with that.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Awesome, hopefully it is one subscription. Was always annoying having to hope a game was play anywhere.

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com

Funny that when I was saying 6 months ago on ERA that MS changed and will embrace Steam soon no one believed me and they were still considered as the biggest threat to PC gaming. Honestly, it's really bizarre for me how fast things changed and Epic, who actively criticized MS in the past for the restrictive nature of Windows Store, are the worst offenders now with their own shitty monopoly, while MS is being open for more stores and opportunities.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Hey, hey! Microsoft just found out that if you offer more options to consumers they actually buy more stuff and you make more money. If only more companies were able to understand such not-so-difficult concept.

So Windows Store if you want to go the subscription way and Steam if you prefer purchasing single games. It almost looks too good to be true.

Reactions: LEANIJA

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I mean they converted russian MS Store to US dollars only, so it will be interesting how MS handle this situation in Steam!
yeah, i know they did .... but so far they always had proper regional pricing on their games on steam (even after they changed it on winstore ... Killer Instinct was released like a year after that happened) ... so we'll see

Reactions: KainXVIII

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
That's good to hear! Please release Midtown Madness on Steam, don't let it be forgotten.

Yeah that 20 more titles coming to Steam is apparently just gaming journalism being as professional as usual.
Reading comprehension is hard :p

Reactions: lashman

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Funny that when I was saying 6 months ago on ERA that MS changed and will embrace Steam soon no one believed me and they were still considered as the biggest threat to PC gaming. Honestly, it's really bizarre for me how fast things changed and Epic, who actively criticized MS in the past for the restrictive nature of Windows Store, are the worst offenders now with their own shitty monopoly, while MS is being open for more stores and opportunities.
I'm sure being able to make Epic look even shittier is a nice bonus for the team at MS. I think they will get a nice PR bump for this with all the publishers and devs who have been going for the Epic moneyhats at the expense of consumer choice.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm sure being able to make Epic look even shittier is a nice bonus for the team at MS. I think they will get a nice PR bump for this with all the publishers and devs who have been going for the Epic moneyhats at the expense of consumer choice.
they already are ;)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
If you told me 6 months ago that Epic would be fucking the PC space with Fortnite bux and MS would be on fire with their PC support I would have laughed my ass off and called you a moron.

Weird how much can change in 5 months, But I welcome MS’ new strategy. I used to be worried about MS buying Ninja Theory and Obsidian but it looks like they’ll be just fine.

Also UWP crashes so much on my PC so gimme that delicious win32 version of Forza Horizon 4, please ms.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

I changed my view once Halo 3, and the rest of the Halo games, got announced for Steam.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018

I mean, better to keep doubting them in my eye. I don't think there was much to go on for where Microsoft was heading six months ago.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
I mean, better to keep doubting them in my eye. I don't think there was much to go on for where Microsoft was heading six months ago.
And, just to be on the safe side, there is still nothing here actually. They'll earn kudos when I can actually buy and play their stuff on steam. Until then I'm sceptical. It's ms. And words are cheap.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
Of course, I'm not claiming they are saints now, and everyone should still be cautious about what they are doing. But right now we are lucky that their interests align with the interests of PC gamers, so just enjoy it while it lasts, more to come at E3.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Anyway, how will the games work on Gamepass? What version they're gonna be, Windows Store?

If that's the case, they're going to port tons of games to the store to support this Gamepass campaign?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Indeed. I know that many Microsoft fans despised me back on NeoGAF because of my anti-Windows 8 campaign but as I've said many times before, I don't hate Microsoft. I wanted MS to do better for PC gaming and now that they are doing just that I am glad to support them any way I can.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This is excellent news. Microsoft releasing their games both on Steam and the Windows Store as win32 games, while adding extra value to the Windows Store version with play anywhere and game pass is exactly what many pc gamers are asking for.

My sincere thanks to all pc gamers voting with their wallets against uwp and the current state of the Windows Store. I hope this huge victory for the open nature of pc gaming will motivate them to vote against Epic's strategy as well.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm still processing this news. This is something I've been hoping for for years, but I never thought this would actually happen.

Also my complements to Spencer for not wanting until the E3 press conference to inform us about this great news.

Now please stop encrypting game files. Still not sure they are planning to drop the encryption.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Huh... Starting to figure out why MS requires an XBL account for Halo MCC when they don't really need to.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
More games on multiple stores weakens Epic’s exclusivity gambit. If people have something else to play on the platforms they prefer, they will play them instead of being tempted by Eggsclusives.

Plus I’m happy because it finally seems MS gets it. Beloved IP like Gears and Halo coming to PC in a big way makes me a really happy. I have been skeptical of Spencer for so long, but he has finally delivered.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
About Gamepass, pretty worried about the ‘for PC’ distinction. If it means getting only a fraction of what console Gamepass offers, count me out.

But at the same time, and I’m talking out of my ass, I can imagine that the check to have a game on a middly performing console is not the same if you add all win10 PCs. I don’t know if it works like that but it makes sense.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
About Gamepass, pretty worried about the ‘for PC’ distinction. If it means getting only a fraction of what console Gamepass offers, count me out.

But at the same time, and I’m talking out of my ass, I can imagine that the check to have a game on a middly performing console is not the same if you add all win10 PCs. I don’t know if it works like that but it makes sense.
Spencer talks about over a 100 games, so you don't have to worry. ☺

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So will this include any kind of previous titles from previous xboxs generations? if I can get Crimson Skies HRTR working on pc.... I'll scrapy planned xbox360/ps3 in a pc case project and just get this. If it's only new titles, well it's something.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So will this include any kind of previous titles from previous xboxs generations? if I can get Crimson Skies HRTR working on pc.... I'll scrapy planned xbox360/ps3 in a pc case project and just get this. If it's only new titles, well it's something.
Phil Spence has said they’re looking into/they’d like to get previous-gen Xbox games working on PC, but that there are technical and business hurdles to get over first.

I expect this will just be a curated collection of new and old PC games. The great thing about Windows Store supporting Win32 apps soon is that they can dip into old PC games going far back for the service.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Phil Spence has said they’re looking into/they’d like to get previous-gen Xbox games working on PC, but that there are technical and business hurdles to get over first.

I expect this will just be a curated collection of new and old PC games. The great thing about Windows Store supporting Win32 apps soon is that they can dip into old PC games going far back for the service.
That is my hope.