Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Anyone tried playing the deck on a 4k screen? Im thinking about getting the dock, but if it can't even play simple games in 4k then might not be much of a point.
Define smaller games. In general I think that even smaller games could be bit too much for 4K screen. I am playing some games on Deck at 1920x1200 to get better image quality and it can run some older ones without issues but more than that can cause lower FPS.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Define smaller games. In general I think that even smaller games could be bit too much for 4K screen. I am playing some games on Deck at 1920x1200 to get better image quality and it can run some older ones without issues but more than that can cause lower FPS.
Yeah that what I was suspecting, like anything that has to be rendered in 3D is going to struggle at 4k, hell probably many in 2D too. As long as its decade older games it might be fine.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Anyone tried playing the deck on a 4k screen? Im thinking about getting the dock, but if it can't even play simple games in 4k then might not be much of a point.
I have. Native 4K is a non starter as even the UI lags at that resolution. 1080p is doable for 2D games and 3D games in the PS3/360 era. PS4/Xbox One games are kind of spotty and I just use remote play at that point.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So Ghost of Tsushima crashes for many folks after the launcher and people are once again accusing them of having too old of a CPU without AVX2 or whatever instructions but then the game magically works if you just delete the PCPS_SDK folder from C:\ProgramData\Sony or whatever and that also worked for me and it runs fine on medium settings (maybe High too with 30fps, not sure) 1440p FSR3 @ Quality (without frame gen obviously on my GTX1080) on my 3770K after doing that. Shame they never patched Relink for non AVX cpus like Sony did some other port, I wanted to check it out and it'd probably run fine.

• Eyes
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Those Deadlock screens give off Paragon vibes for some reason. I remember playing that game for a bit and it wasn't that bad. That and the Unreal tournament thing Epic tried to do with the community before they turned into Fortnite company.

Its still crazy that Valve is making a 3rd person hero shooter with grappling hooks. What a weird timeline.

I hope Valve does the Source filmmaker videos for this game introducing all the characters. There seems to be a lot of variety of fun heroes based on the portraits in the screens.

RDR1 PC was supposed to be announced today. What happened? lol
The Switch/PS4 version came out in August last year so its most likely a 1 year thing and they'll stealth drop it on the Rockstar launcher in a few months.

And Steam in August of next year.

Last edited:

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
What Linux flavor should I use if I am going to be using the original use VMware workstation pro VB?

No experience in either.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland

There's supposedly a ton of images on Twitter, but I deleted that shit account a long time ago so dunno.
Haven't posted in a while but I am ready for a new Valve game :dmcblob:. The artstyle is super weird though. The environment looks like a level from Half-Life Alyx mixed with cartoonish Valorant charachter. Can't say I'm a fan.
Watch me love the gameplay though and then Valve shutting it down after 3 months just like they did with Artifact.

I know with some fighters PC was the defacto fighting platform because of the dogshit input lag on PS5
Everbody knows it's because of all the Tifa and Bikini mods you can install. I just checked for research purposes and the amount of horny mods is through the roof.

For real though I think covid also played a part here. Since there were only online tournaments possible at that time and there was no crossplay in Tekken 7, the community needed to decide on a default platform. You can organise on Discord and then add your opponents on Steam easily, no online fee required. Only downside was that you were getting kicked out of a match when playing on tuesday midnight due to Steam maintenance. Can't belive Valve still doesn't have some sort of redundancy after all these years.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Great, I just bought a new ipad and it isn't recognized in itunes.
So yeah, itunes, ah ah, but it's so easy to transfer lots of files with this piece of shit app.

I managed without yesterday, but between each app having its own flavor of data transfer (special mention to Panels who lock it behind a sub) and the file app being... an apple app, it was not a great experience.

What's worrying is that in the process of trying to find out what the fuck was wrong I noticed I don't have an Apple USB driver process and I have an unknown device in my device manager, even without ipad plugged in.
OBVIOUSLY, googling that issue gets me a flaming pile of shit. Several unhelpful Apple pages and a metric ton of fake help sites trying to sell me on their magic software.

How do I even understand what the mystery unknown device is ?

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Valve making a 6v6 team based multiplayer shooter and it not being named Team Fortress 3 is a gut punch I tell you :(

I'm actually very surprised that a company like Valve that is usually in touch with the mood of the gaming community is making a game like this. A 6v6 hero shooter live service feels like it's coming years late to the market. And the thing is, the success of a live service game doesn't necessarily depend on whether it's fun or polished or unique or well supported. All these things matter but I believe that the single biggest contributor to success is just plain dumb luck. It's like catching lightning in a bottle. Even Valve's ability to craft best in class experiences cannot guarantee that.

I love playing Valve's games but at this point I would give it a less than 50% chance of succeeding.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I'm actually very surprised that a company like Valve that is usually in touch with the mood of the gaming community is making a game like this. A 6v6 hero shooter live service feels like it's coming years late to the market.
Reminds me of something

• Toucan
Reactions: unknownhero

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

"By the way, I can confirm that Sony is preparing a new PSP for release, but damn - there are only PS4 games in the launch lineup, which are generally available on PC, and therefore on SteamDeck. Retail chains, by the way, are quite sceptical. Either Sony is doing something completely, or they are still keeping secrets from their partners."

Grain of salt and all that. Not sure what Sony would be thinking with this. Their handheld support has been historically abysmal. And I say that as someone that owned 2 PSP and 3 Vitas.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Valve making a 6v6 team based multiplayer shooter and it not being named Team Fortress 3 is a gut punch I tell you :(

I'm actually very surprised that a company like Valve that is usually in touch with the mood of the gaming community is making a game like this. A 6v6 hero shooter live service feels like it's coming years late to the market. And the thing is, the success of a live service game doesn't necessarily depend on whether it's fun or polished or unique or well supported. All these things matter but I believe that the single biggest contributor to success is just plain dumb luck. It's like catching lightning in a bottle. Even Valve's ability to craft best in class experiences cannot guarantee that.

I love playing Valve's games but at this point I would give it a less than 50% chance of succeeding.
The difference between Valve and other devs is that Valve is actually in it to turn the game into a real Esport. Especially with icefrog involved.

Most other devs and pubs just make hero shooter to strike gold to increase shareholder value. They don't think far ahead enough and don't value game design so most fail quickly. Because Valve has that pedigree I would give them a higher chance. Say like 75% of succeeding.

At the end of the day there is not much going on today in the hero shooter genre. Valorant and Apex continue being the only solid choices. And Valo is generic asf across the board. Apex is probably gonna decline soon too. So if Valve is actually committed Deadlock should be fine and possibly be very big a few months after release.

"By the way, I can confirm that Sony is preparing a new PSP for release, but damn - there are only PS4 games in the launch lineup, which are generally available on PC, and therefore on SteamDeck. Retail chains, by the way, are quite sceptical. Either Sony is doing something completely, or they are still keeping secrets from their partners."

Grain of salt and all that. Not sure what Sony would be thinking with this. Their handheld support has been historically abysmal. And I say that as someone that owned 2 PSP and 3 Vitas.

I mean beggers can't be choosers. A PS4 handheld would still be a fantastic device. And most likely affordable too if all it has to do is play games from 2013-2020 era. I've got like 20-25 digital PS4 games including Bloodborne and God of War. It would be neat device to pick up and just turn it into a Bloodborne handheld. If that game is gonna be stuck on a dead platform at the very least that platform can be handheld as well. So that is good plus there are many other PS4 games that never made it to PC so there will be some value in it. Afterall the PS4 was a great console. Not as good as PS1 or PS2 but not that far behind them so I'm kinda intrigued by a device like this.

Edit: Also PS5 doesn't have many exclusives as most games are crossgen. So this person saying only PS4 lineup could technically still mean its a PS5 handheld as well. Its probably in Sony's best interest to not allow the handheld to run super demanding exclusives anyways since the handheld performance would be awful and people will just complain all the time. So this could be like a PS5 lite handheld with some exceptions or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
My hot take:

It's been years since I've placed AC, but isn't a big portion of the story have to do with the assassins fighting the templars and the templars trying to take over the world and something about free will? I remember in AC2 there was something about the apple of Eden and what the garden of Eden was actually like and it's not what people are left to believe.

Anyway when it comes to AC Japan, I was hoping that they wouldn't do the edo period (that's the Feudal Warring state era of Japan right?). And I remember that Ghost of Tsushima takes places dying the 16th century with you fighting Mongolians.

My thought would have been (I don't know the exact name of the time period) but maybe something closer to the Meiji period. Think closer to Samurai X (Ruronin Kenshin) or something before that like in Demon Slayer which from my understanding is the time period prior to that?? But it would be based around the idea that you now have more templars involved in Japan during the time period and because of it, you now see Japan in this rapid expansion phase where just radically different ideologies are being introduced. Peoples ways of life drastically being changed your future is more uncertain now that in was a hundred years ago were you either died on some lords lands or something.

Also while Japan did have some tall buildings you didn't have a lot of them from my understanding, most buildings were, well flat. In ghost of Sushi you are on a horse right? In Nioh you don't jump on top of buildings, but with the Meiji AC game you would have more tall buildings that you can parkour on. But then again maybe 2-3 stories buildings are good enough.

I would need to look more into history.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Also while Japan did have some tall buildings you didn't have a lot of them from my understanding, most buildings were, well flat.
We got an AC in the fucking bayou. Nothing stops the UBI brain rot.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Now that I think about it....the fact that Bloodborne didn't get a PC release after all this time could be because they are gonna make it the killer app for the new PSP instead.

Its such an asshole move but genius ofc.

They will probably put the OG Demon Souls on it and get Konami to make MGS4 exclusive to it as well. Plus the Gravity Rush games and they'll moneyhat something else along the way in the future. They can dig up a bunch of other classics to really flesh out the library so that the launch can be impactful.

If Sony is actually serious about a new handheld they need some killer apps that differentiate it from the Switch and Deck.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Picked up Terra Nil, Pepper Grinder, Children of the Sun, Mullet Madjack, Animal Well, Mosa Lina, Manor Lords, Hades 2, Ghostrunner 2 and The Invincible the past bunch of days. So many games to play. Damn.

Also just finished Grapple Dog.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
The environment looks like a level from Half-Life Alyx mixed with cartoonish Valorant charachter. Can't say I'm a fan.

I think the environment might be placeholder and that's the reason they look like if they were from HL Alyx.

• This!
Reactions: lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
So Ghost of Tsushima crashes for many folks after the launcher and people are once again accusing them of having too old of a CPU without AVX2 or whatever instructions but then the game magically works if you just delete the PCPS_SDK folder from C:\ProgramData\Sony or whatever and that also worked for me
That sounds like the library was compiled with an AVX2 target while the game wasn't.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Most CPUs have AVX 2 support, all the way back to Haswell. Can't really blame devs for assuming that.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Most CPUs have AVX 2 support, all the way back to Haswell. Can't really blame devs for assuming that.
The game works fine without it, why artificially block perfectly capable of buying and running it systems? But maybe instead of wanting to patch it so folks can run it without thinking they can't because they miss this solution we should call for them to recompile it with AVX2 so the real fix is no such system can play it! How stupid was Sony to patch that Uncharted game to allow them to play it instead huh, hilariously stupid ass company, just leave the whiners to their whining.

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Digital Foundry once again didn't have PC report for big PC release (Ghost of Tsushima). These days that is normal thing for DF. Again i know that Alex can't do everything by himself but their PC reporting is kinda becoming pointless. Many PC port reports come week or more after release.

Status
Not open for further replies.