News Alan Wake publishing rights have reverted to Remedy

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
REMEDY ENTERTAINMENT PLC: Remedy records 2.5 million euros of one-time royalty income from previously released games

For its first half-year period of 2019, Remedy Entertainment Plc records approximately 2.5 million euros of royalties from previously released games as one-time income. The royalties are paid to Remedy during the second half-year period of 2019. In relation to this, the publishing rights of Alan Wake games are reverted to Remedy.
What this means practically, I believe is that Remedy are now free to release Alan Wake on any platform they wish. Microsoft paid to have the music licenses renewed last year, but I dunno whether that would cover new ports.

ramoisdead

MetaMember
Nov 5, 2018
Hopefully it means more places for the original Alan Wake to appear on and the inevitable Alan Wake sequel. Question is, will that be self-published or partnered with a publisher?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Hopefully it means more places for the original Alan Wake to appear on and the inevitable Alan Wake sequel. Question is, will that be self-published or partnered with a publisher?
probably the latter ... almost definitely, even

what worries me, though, is that AW2 won't be a cheap game to make ... so ..........

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
probably the latter ... almost definitely, even

what worries me, though, is that AW2 won't be a cheap game to make ... so ..........
That would depend on the scope Remedy go for. Sadly them seem to be about trying to merge serialized tv format as gaming and pushing tech, which is not what something like Alan Wake needs to be effective.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That would depend on the scope Remedy go for. Sadly them seem to be about trying to merge serialized tv format as gaming and pushing tech, which is not what something like Alan Wake needs to be effective.
yeah, unfortunately

you know, i'd even take an episodic thing for AW2 ... just release shorter episodes every few months ... and i'm good

lmimmfn

Jul 1, 2019
I erm only played 10 mins of AW and i even have the expansion/DLC lol, tell me its better than Quantum Break and i will play it( i actually enjoyed the story in QB, the movies were crap but i liked the story, 2/3rds of the way through i hated the gameplay though ), sell me AW please!!!!

Then i will be excited for this news :)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I erm only played 10 mins of AW and i even have the expansion/DLC lol, tell me its better than Quantum Break and i will play it( i actually enjoyed the story in QB, the movies were crap but i liked the story, 2/3rds of the way through i hated the gameplay though ), sell me AW please!!!!

it is better, yes ... much better

Reactions: lmimmfn

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Do you like Twin Peaks? Do you like "purposely badly acted" cut scenes? Do you like Stephen King? Do you like third person shooters with interesting mechanics?

yeah, unfortunately

you know, i'd even take an episodic thing for AW2 ... just release shorter episodes every few months ... and i'm good
I mean, they could probably put out a 10 hour game in 2 hour episodes that tells a new story or continue on with something about Mr Scratch and the Darkness and it would be enough. Go the Max Payne 2 route - more of the same, just refined.

Reactions: lmimmfn and lashman

lmimmfn

Jul 1, 2019
Do you like Twin Peaks? Do you like "purposely badly acted" cut scenes? Do you like Stephen King? Do you like third person shooters with interesting mechanics?

I mean, they could probably put out a 10 hour game in 2 hour episodes that tells a new story or continue on with something about Mr Scratch and the Darkness and it would be enough. Go the Max Payne 2 route - more of the same, just refined.
Right I'm sold, starting tomorrow :)

ramoisdead

MetaMember
Nov 5, 2018
yeah, unfortunately

I always imagined if an Alan Wake 2 was ever greenlit, I would happy with it being episodic. Just have as much less filler as you can and tell a cool story in each episoide in about 2 - 3 hrs each.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I always imagined if an Alan Wake 2 was ever greenlit, I would happy with it being episodic. Just have as much less filler as you can and tell a cool story in each episoide in about 2 - 3 hrs each.
agreed

OP
Aelphaeis Mangarae

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
It was possibly a 10 year rights agreement. Alan Wake ended up releasing in 2010, but it's possible they originally planned for a 2009 release date since the game was supposedly "done" in early 2009. Which would kinda line up with the rights "reverting" as they put it to Remedy in 2019. They didn't buy the rights back. They reverted back to Remedy automatically.

I wonder what is happening with the Alan Wake TV show Remedy were co-producing. We haven't heard any news about it since late 2018, where they were supposedly looking for a network to host it.