Discussion AMD BIG NAVI Thread (RX 6800, 6800 XT, 6900 XT)

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I want to create a different thread as I feel we missed opportunities to create specialized threads for Nvidia's Amphere launch, and AMD's new Ryzen.

I would like to be able to find new news about Big Navi here rather than trying to find it hodgepodge in hardware or social thread.

Especially when the benchmarks come out. I personally do not care that much about ray tracing, but I know that others will.

AMD RX 6000 Key Points

• Up to 5120 shader cores in RX 6900 XT, 3840 cores in RX 6800
  • Maximum boost clocks of 2.1-2.25 GHz
  • 16GB of GDDR6 for the three cards revealed today
  • 128MB Infinity Cache more than doubles effective bandwidth
  • One Ray Accelerator per CU, 10x speedup for RT calculations
  • Prices of $999, $649 and $579 for 6900 XT, 6800 XT and 6800
  • Upcoming FidelityFX enhancements to offer DLSS alternative

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
You can make one for Zen 3 too, it's not too late with just AMD benches out (I'm sure 3rd party will confirm it's mostly true though), no new mobos/fw etc. :D
FInally high end competition after 3 generations. Even if they suffer with RT (but how often will that be used as anything more than an add-on paid by NV, like PhysX back in the day, when the game/art was mostly made without it in mind and the standard current pipelines instead, when consoles are AMD based themselves so will likely settle for minimal RT) that's a great development, espcially if they can keep improving like they did with CPUs Zen 1 to Zen 3. Hope these show to be even better value once prices/stock settles form third parties as well for both companies. I'm still keeping my 1080 a while longer regardless.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
I suspect that the raytracing performance will be clearly below their Nvidia counterparts.
Additionally i expect that AMDs DLSS-like solution will be not as good as the one from NVIDIA and that there will be fewer titles that support it. NVIDIA does just invest more money in game support for such stuff.

Nonetheless I will try to get one of these new cards. As someone who mainly uses Linux these days I just like the way that AMD handles Linux drivers.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Yeah, waiting on RT and the "Ryzen synergy" benches with interest for sure.
I don't expect they beat Nvidia, but depending on how close AMD gets, how availability looks like for both in the coming months, how the pricing holds for both etc, it will be one to watch.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Now i wait and see what real world differences there are between 6800 and the XT, and also the inevitable 6700xt so i can get a card that will last a while and not double my builds cost on a single component.

I am glad AMD are in the fight, now i worry about CAD cost and availability on top of reviews

Reactions: Pommes and ISee

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just read a few reviews.

It looks like rasterization performance is pretty much in line in terms of FPS/$ with the Ampere cards. Power efficiency is better (but less than 10% difference in CB testing). RT performance is worse, more significantly so the more a game uses RT (e.g. Control seems like a worst case).

Overall, I would say that if all cards were available at MSRP the only reason to get AMD would be if you really want more VRAM as opposed to better RT performance and the NV ecosystem advantages (DLSS, encoding, CUDA etc.). If they were readily available AMD probably also would have gone with slightly lower price points though.

Oh, and the 6800 non-XT is a worse deal price/perf wise than anything else in the lineup.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
RX 6800 = 780€
RX 6800 XT = 830€

I don't get it.
50€ at that price tier are not relevant. But the 6800 is ~17% slower. 6800 non XT needs to go down to ~600€ asap.

At least it's the reverse Nvidia Situation: 17% is the difference between 3080 and 3090 and the price difference there is ~1000€
:toucan:
(Yeah I know, the memory costs a lot. The silicon is bigger etc.)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The silicon is actually the same (well, a better bin, but fundamentally). The memory is probably expensive, but the 3090 is really more of a case of "we charge this much because we can".

I feel like the card where the impact of AMD is most acutely felt in terms of pricing in the NV lineup is the 3080.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Oh, the are really both 628mm^2.

And I know Nvidia is mainly charging a price premium for the 3090.
I was just trying to be funny.

• Love
Reactions: Durante

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I just read a few reviews.

It looks like rasterization performance is pretty much in line in terms of FPS/$ with the Ampere cards. Power efficiency is better (but less than 10% difference in CB testing). RT performance is worse, more significantly so the more a game uses RT (e.g. Control seems like a worst case).

Overall, I would say that if all cards were available at MSRP the only reason to get AMD would be if you really want more VRAM as opposed to better RT performance and the NV ecosystem advantages (DLSS, encoding, CUDA etc.). If they were readily available AMD probably also would have gone with slightly lower price points though.

Oh, and the 6800 non-XT is a worse deal price/perf wise than anything else in the lineup.
I still have hopes the 6800 will be a worthy upgrade from what I have now, since RT isn't a big deal for me right now, and think the price might come down a bit if the 3070 eats it alive.

Reactions: Pommes
OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I still have hopes the 6800 will be a worthy upgrade from what I have now, since RT isn't a big deal for me right now, and think the price might come down a bit if the 3070 eats it alive.
RT it's not a deal breaker for me, either.

Based upon these reviews, the XT is a great competitor, and I would not be ashamed to own one... If I could find one

OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I'm a fan of Tom's Hardware reviews. Of course, this is from days ago, and they updated to indicate that both AMD's card sold out within minutes.

At this point, I'll just buy whichever I can get.

OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Conversation concerning RX 6900 XT is quiet. Those cards sold out though. Funny that they are selling for 3090 MSRP when it's really on par with the 3080, and without RT!

I expect prices to fall rapidly. Even so, I would still buy one as it's MSRP is what the 3080s are running now.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
At it current price point the 6900 XT seems very lacking. In practice it's only ~10% faster on average than the much cheaper 6800 XT, and it doesn't have the ecosystem advantages of the (also cheaper) 3080, which it can't beat consistently in 4k rasterization and loses to decisively in RT.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
At it current price point the 6900 XT seems very lacking. In practice it's only ~10% faster on average than the much cheaper 6800 XT, and it doesn't have the ecosystem advantages of the (also cheaper) 3080, which it can't beat consistently in 4k rasterization and loses to decisively in RT.
The way I look at it, the 6900 XT competes against the RTX 3080. That's probably not how ATI sees it, but that's how I'm looking at the prices.

If I were to buy a 6800 XT I feel like I should just look for a 3070, but I'm trying to go flagship this time. Waiting on the AIB Big Navis, which nobody knows when they are coming.