Community Backlog Blitz Season 14 - Runs January 1 through March 31 with a raffle at the end

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Randal's Monday is one of those games that believes that referencing or quoting pop culture is funny by itself.
Pulled up the Steam page and it looks like that type of game, even if you hadn't mentioned it ahead of time.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Finished my fourth game which was "Dreamfall Chapters". I did not knew this was the last game of the Dreamfall series. So the story did not make sense in some part. Actually the game didn't make any sense at all TBH, as I'm not really sure what all was about o_O

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished my fourth game which was "Dreamfall Chapters". I did not knew this was the last game of the Dreamfall series. So the story did not make sense in some part. Actually the game didn't make any sense at all TBH, as I'm not really sure what all was about o_O
You haven't played Longest Journey and Dreamfall? I guess it's not that surprising that the story doesn't make sense then. :grinning-face:
I still haven't played the full Chapters yet myself, I think I played the first chapter when they released it but then never went back. Really should do that at some point.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
You haven't played Longest Journey and Dreamfall? I guess it's not that surprising that the story doesn't make sense then. :grinning-face:
I still haven't played the full Chapters yet myself, I think I played the first chapter when they released it but then never went back. Really should do that at some point.
Do you think the story would make sense if I played the first two games as well? Because I was kind of wtf, at the ending since it wrapped up quite fast while also introduced "new" characters rapidly. Probably they weren't new at all if I played the earlier games to begin with...

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Do you think the story would make sense if I played the first two games as well? Because I was kind of wtf, at the ending since it wrapped up quite fast while also introduced "new" characters rapidly. Probably they weren't new at all if I played the earlier games to begin with...
No idea since I haven't finished it, but I imagine it would at least make more sense. Fill in some of the gaps if nothing else.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished my 4th game Raji: An Ancient Epic. It's really sad that I can't recommend the game since it has heart, it's pretty and it's always nice to see some different cultures represented in these types of things but the platforming and combat gameplay are so bad it drags everything down and to make matters worse there's a lot of combat, a ridiculous amount of it and it never gets good. Somehow I managed to find all the secrets and get 100% of the achievements without even trying. 2/5

Right now I'm playing the last game of the blitz, Disco Elysium, but for some reason it's not grabbing me and I don't know why. It might just be a slow burner and my overall mood over the past few weeks isn't helping me settling down and being at peace to enjoy to game.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Finished my 4th game Raji: An Ancient Epic. It's really sad that I can't recommend the game since it has heart, it's pretty and it's always nice to see some different cultures represented in these types of things but the platforming and combat gameplay are so bad it drags everything down and to make matters worse there's a lot of combat, a ridiculous amount of it and it never gets good. Somehow I managed to find all the secrets and get 100% of the achievements without even trying. 2/5

Right now I'm playing the last game of the blitz, Disco Elysium, but for some reason it's not grabbing me and I don't know why. It might just be a slow burner and my overall mood over the past few weeks isn't helping me settling down and being at peace to enjoy to game.
That's surprising since Raji reviewed pretty well and showed up on some best of the year lists. I haven't gotten to my copy but it's a One of These Days games.

Sort of Blitz related but after going through Odyssey's Tales From Greece first to get to my Blitz DLC of Legacy of the First Blade I then wrapped up all of Fate of Atlantis after that and thought I'd try out Valhalla as well to see how it's different and now 90 hours later have finished up the base game. This would have ended up on a future Blitz since it's from my 2023 goals list so making good progress there. Probably add the first DLC to this next Blitz or maybe wait a bit longer for the third quarter before returning.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I haven't been at my Mac for a while so I haven't updated my post/spreadsheet, but would you look at that? All 5 finished for a change.

Dead Space 2023 was, well, Dead Space. I liked it a fair bit, but it had the feel of a 2008 game about it. That period just before AAA games got really, really bad for a long time.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
That's surprising since Raji reviewed pretty well and showed up on some best of the year lists. I haven't gotten to my copy but it's a One of These Days games.
There's a story difficulty setting the supposedly reduces the number of combat encounters and makes it easier. Maybe that's the way reviewers played, maybe that makes it bearable.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I don't know If I'll complete Sonic Adventure 2 before the end of march so I just replaced it with The Walking Dead The Final Season which I just happened to complete. I think the ending changed some things about zombie lore established long ago so I feel it was kind of a cop out.

Thats 4/5, Telltale's Batman 2 is next.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Watch Dogs, third game for the blitz.
It's kind of a big meh. I like the recon camera jumping, and enjoy the stealth whenever the games lets me use it. Rest is kind of whatever, story is overly dramatic and wants me to care about characters that they don't really build in any meaningful way. Some of the writing is really weird too. Like there's a point where Aiden's sister has been kidnapped, and he gets to talk to her on the phone, and there's this weird almost chirpy banter between them about how she can tell when he's lying because they are siblings and stuff, and it's tonally really out of place.

I'm going to play the Bad Blood DLC next.
Also, I'm going to change at least one of my two remaining games, feels like I need something more bite sized after this big open world thing. So I'm putting The Surge 2 in the backburner again and swap in DARQ, that I just won from a giveaway at the purple forum.

Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started and finished DARQ and its DLC. It's alright I guess. 4 games done.
Would have enjoyed it more if it was just a puzzle game, the whole chase sequence at the end of the main game for example was just bad.

My last game is Hellpoint and I think I'm going to keep it and start it next. After Watch Dogs, DARQ was a decent palate cleanser if nothing else.

Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Finished my 5th and final game, Disco Elysium.
It was a great experience overall although not flawless in my opinion. Story is great, characters too, lore and worldbuilding are excellently designed but... pacing is very uneven, the rpg mechanics add nothing to the overall experience, exploration is very basic and borderline meaningless and I wasn't a fan of the ending, or the last 2 conversations to be more exact. it felt like a deus ex machina cop-out after all the amazing build-up from the last couple of hours or so.
It's a very introspective experience that demands oneself to look inwards and think about things we ordinarily don't, from our own existence and role in this world, to the whole thing around us and how stupid everything is in perspective.
I don't think it's a perfect game but it's an important one.

Reactions: fearthedawn
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Reminder we are in the final week or so. Time to start wrapping things up, update the spreadsheet, and be ready for the next Blitz. I think I've settled on my next five games but might swap something out so not 100% certain.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Finished Batman The Enemy Within.

I've played all Telltale games except Michone and I have to say BTEW is the best game they ever made. If you like adventures its a must to play both Batman games. Unlike other games from them, choices do matter here.

5/5 and thats the end of the season for me

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Was busy and forgot to post the usual one-day final warning. I need to go back to sleep but in around six hours I'll do the raffle. You can list your upcoming Blitz games here or wait for the new thread. I'll get the spreadsheet updated so you can add them to there before waiting for the thread if you wish.

You have around six hours to make any final updates to this Blitz season!

Reactions: C-Dub

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm out most of today and tomorrow so I won't be finishing Hellpoint in time, a rare 4/5 blitz for me.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
The Blitz has come to a close! The winner this time around is C-Dub! Congrats! You won for completing Dead Space (2023). The prize this time remained at $20 so you've got that to pick a game. I never remember what regions anyone is in so factor that in if there'd be any weirdness for me gifting or getting you a key from the US region. As a reminder, it doesn't have to be on Steam if something is on sale in another marketplace to get a key.

Big congrats! And the next thread will be up shortly.