Community Backlog Blitz Season 6 - Runs January 1 through March 31 with a raffle at the end

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I finally started Mass Effect Andromeda, should be able to finish it before my EA sub runs out and then tackle the rest of my slate.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I have started to play Darksiders 2 and got to the Foundry where you need to find three Heartstones for a big Guardian. A maker is with me and he is supposed to pick up Heartstones. He didn't pick up and now I am stuck and cannot progress further. Is there any fix for this or am I screwed? I don't want to restart the game 😔

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I have started to play Darksiders 2 and got to the Foundry where you need to find three Heartstones for a big Guardian. A maker is with me and he is supposed to pick up Heartstones. He didn't pick up and now I am stuck and cannot progress further. Is there any fix for this or am I screwed? I don't want to restart the game 😔
Oh, I encountered some game breaking bugs myself when I originally played it on launch.

Have you tried exiting and re-entering the dungeon?

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I played the Deathfinitive Edition a month ago and didn't had this problem. Make sure to approach that guardian from every possible angle, because I just remembered that walking from the point you exit the zone where you got the stone won't trigger a response from him.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I'm quite positive I had the same bug. I'll see if I can find the exact fix for me. I remember scrambling for a solution, too.

Edit: I had two main bugs that seem to be fairly common. Though I vaguely recall a third I think? Anyhow, the guardian thing with the hearts I do remember as my note I wrote it Discord was that I just kept redoing the series of events (sorry I'm vague, I don't remember a ton but I think you have to go scale something and like hit it from above or something to knock it down? And the guardian is then supposed to pick it up?) I just kept redoing that like three times and eventually he just finally went and picked it up.

The other bug you might run into is there's a spot that after a cutscene the game crashes. It's a common problem. The issue happens if you get enough experience from turning in the quest that you level up at the same time. If that happens you need to grind experience to level up and then turn in the quest so it doesn't level you up. Just a heads up in case this happens.

Last edited:
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Completed Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for my final Blitz game. I am free for the last twoish weeks!

Revengeance was good but in the end my favorite parts were the classic MGS things like codecs, crazy cutscenes, weird sequences, and the crazy characters and boss fights. I'm glad I did finally go through it since it was a shame game for me but I also had hoped I'd enjoy it more. The fighting system is solid (no pun) but despite that the game did feel a bit old overall. I know Konami is a pile of shit now but it would be nice to know what a sequel on today's hardware could be like but I guess I'll just have to hope for some sort of spiritual successor from Kojima or something instead.

Reactions: lashman

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Oh, I encountered some game breaking bugs myself when I originally played it on launch.

Have you tried exiting and re-entering the dungeon?
Not really the same thing, But I did try to fast travel back and forth. Nothing happens. I can try to fast travel to start of the dungeon to see if it helps.

I played the Deathfinitive Edition a month ago and didn't had this problem. Make sure to approach that guardian from every possible angle, because I just remembered that walking from the point you exit the zone where you got the stone won't trigger a response from him.
The maker who is supposed to pick up the heartstone didn't pick it up. I went to a corridor where there are two doors and to open it I had to stand on a button. Now this maker went inside the corridor he is now stuck in there since he doesn't hold the other door open like he did when we passed through the corridor first time.
I'm quite positive I had the same bug. I'll see if I can find the exact fix for me. I remember scrambling for a solution, too.

Edit: I had two main bugs that seem to be fairly common. Though I vaguely recall a third I think? Anyhow, the guardian thing with the hearts I do remember as my note I wrote it Discord was that I just kept redoing the series of events (sorry I'm vague, I don't remember a ton but I think you have to go scale something and like hit it from above or something to knock it down? And the guardian is then supposed to pick it up?) I just kept redoing that like three times and eventually he just finally went and picked it up.

The other bug you might run into is there's a spot that after a cutscene the game crashes. It's a common problem. The issue happens if you get enough experience from turning in the quest that you level up at the same time. If that happens you need to grind experience to level up and then turn in the quest so it doesn't level you up. Just a heads up in case this happens.
It's really disheartening that the devs didn't fix the game breaking bugs, not in even the remaster the devs bothered to fix it

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Huzzah!! I was able to "reset" the dungeon by fast traveling to the beginning of the dungeon. The heartstone was back on the claw, so I had to cut it down again and the maker picked it up this time. I was a bit sad because I probably had to drop the game or restart it. But now that is fixed I can happily progress again (hopefully no more game breaking bugs)

It sucks that a remaster doesn't have those bugs fixed at all...

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I finally started playing Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force but no way I will be able to finish it within the next ten days. So it will probably be one of the titles for the next blitz.

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Finished Outer Wilds and with that I'm through all of my blitz games for the period.

My games were:
  • Steins;Gate
  • Paradise Killer
  • Outer Wilds
  • Uncharted 4
  • Metro Last Light
Thoughts on Outer Wilds? Twas my #3 game last year (behind Hades and Control). Loved it, can't really think of another game like it that I've played.

I started Resident Evil 3 remake a few days ago, finished it last night, and immediately started it up again.

• Hug
Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I encountered more game breaking bugs in Darksiders 2. This time a door didn't open when rotated a statue so a beam would go into a thing. Luckily restarting the dungeon fixed the bug

They did a really crappy job to remaster this game

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Thoughts on Outer Wilds? Twas my #3 game last year (behind Hades and Control). Loved it, can't really think of another game like it that I've played.

I started Resident Evil 3 remake a few days ago, finished it last night, and immediately started it up again.
If you haven't played it maybe check out Sexy Brutale. I know it's become bundle fodder but the gameplay is really great and played on a similar idea.

• Gib
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I've been sort of on radio silence with this but I found games I can actually get into for once
I ended up watching the Justice League revamp on HBO and I was like what can I play that has someone in it with batman? So I remembered I had been putting off the Telltale stuff and I started playing the First one and I beat all of that season basically in a sitting and I've gotten started on the second one already.

So Batman Telltale Series is pretty cool for the most part but it's still very much apparent that at it's core its a "telltale game" with a hey look its batman slapped on it. I guess my biggest complaint with it is as someone whos kind of a fairly big fan of batman in general and has a sort of expected view of what he's capable of or at least you know what can do it seemed very much like he was kind of a bumbling idiot.
I always liked the idea that he was one of the worlds greatest detectives and that sort of gets put in the backseat of stuff along with even fighting bad guys which is kind of another tangent that sort of annoys me.

Like overall I'm enjoying both games (I've already beat the first one, halfway-ish through the second one) but some things are just fucking stupid to me.

Like in the second game you fight the Riddler as batman and it's explained that the riddler terrorized Gothman decades ago as the first masked villain, which would mean batman/bruce wayne would of been a toddler or not of existed. Alright so you get into a fistfight with him and you are basically beating the shit out of him and he is literally tougher than Bane who you fight later. So some dude who is 60? 50? No idea is getting his ass beat and is flying around with a question mark cane going toe to toe with batman in his prime and scoffing at him like he's a little bitch. Alright. Cool.

Reactions: lashman

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018

I really liked Outer Wilds though it doesn't rate quite that high for me. Steins;Gate and Paradise Killer were my two favorites from this blitz, I absolutely loved both of those. Looking at other 2019 releases it ranks being around in my top 15 for the year.

I did also love Resident Evil 3. :blobeyes:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Sexy Brutale is super good, well worth experiencing.

I think I'll be ending this Blitz with 4/5. Don't really see myself finishing the last one in time.
I haven't really been gaming much recently, I'm currently more in a anime/manga/novel phase when it comes to entertainment.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
With just over a week left, I've been thinking about what my next Blitz will be. I'm thinking it'll probably be a few smaller games, something in VR, and Shin Megami Tensei IV on the 3DS. I haven't really decided on the full list yet, though.

I've got Nier:Replicant and the two Famicom Detective Club games coming in April/May/June at the very least. Also consdiering getting the Mass Effect trilogy. With all that in mind, I'm planning to keep my Blitz games short this go around.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Alright I just finished Batman: The Enemy Within Telltale Series

I pretty much hate it for batman related story stuff. It's like... Complete shit. I was pondering replaying it in the Black & White mode but I just uninstalled it instead.

Both of them combined storywise make more me more annoyed than anything else.
I don't even want to write up a long thing about it because its so annoying, It just keeps reverting back to me in my mind I watched an entire tv Series that was about the city of gotham (literally called gotham) that didn't have batman in it. That was better and was like 5 seasons long.

• Sad

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Another day another game breaking bug in Darksiders 2. This time the game will crash after you talk with an Angel. This is known to the devs and they said that there are two solutions for this fix. One is that you level up before the conversation, the other is wait for an update. The update never came...

• Sad

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I was lucky to not have that many issues with Darksiders 2. The one where you direct the skeleton laser (or whatever) but the door doesn't open was pretty common but always eventually worked if I just kept doing it over and over.

I've been playing Mass Effect Andromeda.

I'm kind of liking it! It's obvious where they didn't have the budget and time, but the version that exists now after the patching is kind of fun overall.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Another day another game breaking bug in Darksiders 2. This time the game will crash after you talk with an Angel. This is known to the devs and they said that there are two solutions for this fix. One is that you level up before the conversation, the other is wait for an update. The update never came...
You must have missed me mentioning it above but yup, I had that bug. And I suddenly remembered at what point it occurs, too. At least you're nearly done if I recall correctly!

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
You must have missed me mentioning it above but yup, I had that bug. And I suddenly remembered at what point it occurs, too. At least you're nearly done if I recall correctly!
Sometimes I forgot stuff if it didn't happened me 😅
I usually check a walkthrough to see how much left there is and it looks like I'm soon to close to finish the main story.

I like Darksiders, but I can't believe the studio that Remastered the game, which happen to be ex-Virgil staff, did a lousy remaster

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Sometimes I forgot stuff if it didn't happened me 😅
I usually check a walkthrough to see how much left there is and it looks like I'm soon to close to finish the main story.

I like Darksiders, but I can't believe the studio that Remastered the game, which happen to be ex-Virgil staff, did a lousy remaster
My game froze once during an auto-save back in 2012. This was on the PS3. For some reason, it corrupted all the save files. 🤷‍♂️

I could listen Death all day, though. Sassy as hell. I wish Michael Wincott did more characters in video games. He hasn't done anything since Death. :disappointed-face:

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Only five days left! Finish up everything you can and make sure to update your progress!

The prize pot is $50. Not too shabby! That'll net the winner something around a mid-priced game or something full price that's on sale. Nice!

And it'd be a good time to start considering what to put into the next Blitz. April 1 is on a weekday so I'll likely put the new spreadsheet together the night before so it's up right at the start of the month for all time zones. Challenge yourself with some theme perhaps or to really look back and find one of the older games in your library perhaps?

My theme this time will be Metroidvania games so join me by adding a Metroidvania game if you want!

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Metroidvania seems to be a nice theme. I'll see what metroidvania games I haven't played yet

Is Shovel Knight considered a metroidvania? I have two games left in there to play
I'd argue against it being one but all four Shovel Knight campaigns are wonderful so I do strongly suggest playing it anyhow. Shovel Knight is more like Mega Man than Metroid.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I'd argue against it being one but all four Shovel Knight campaigns are wonderful so I do strongly suggest playing it anyhow. Shovel Knight is more like Mega Man than Metroid.
I have played the first two campaigns already. It's the term metroidvania that I find being too loose. It seems many games just use it when they have one or two elements that defines metroidvania. I believe that many sees Shovel Knight is a metroidvania game, but to me it's an old school platformer game.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I understand your issues with the story. However, I have greatly enjoyed my time with the game. In terms of TellTale games, it is quite good.
As far as that goes, I won't knock it there. it's pretty good all things considered I just wish it had more detective work for you to do. It did have some neat mechanics though compared to a lot of the other telltale games.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I have played the first two campaigns already. It's the term metroidvania that I find being too loose. It seems many games just use it when they have one or two elements that defines metroidvania. I believe that many sees Shovel Knight is a metroidvania game, but to me it's an old school platformer game.
It is nebulous what makes something a Metroidvania and I usually am a bit more stringent on the term. But ultimately it needs to have abilities/gear/weapons that you backtrack with to reach previously inaccessible areas. I think exploration and going through areas multiple times is a key feature for me so I know people all consider Guacamelee games as great Metroidvanias but to me those are barely in the genre because they're very linear in actual progression and the only reason you pass through completed regions again is optionally to collect stuff with the new abilities instead of actual progression.

Shovel Knight doesn't have anything that blocks your progression with abilities. Sure, the dash moves and others you get open up new paths in levels but ultimately you can beat the whole game without extra abilities and each level is simply locked based on completing a prior level. So if people argue that's a Metroidvania we might as well say Super Mario Bros 3 is one. But again, I'm pretty strict on the term and often rule out quite a few games that commonly get the moniker.

Reactions: Deku

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I decided to retire Phantasy Star. It's just so slow and there's so much random battling that I just can't. Even with the translation hack that has the option to half the battles, it's just not happening.

Not sure how much I have left on Mass Effect, probably won't finish it in time. :surrenderblob:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I have decided five games for the next Blitz.
I was planning to go for metroidvania games like Wibblewozzer, but I wasn't able to find any metroidvania games that I have. Most that are listed as metroidvania games don't look like as such :/

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Either that means you need to buy more Metroidvanias or congrats for completing all of them in your collection!

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I have many candidates for next season:

-Hitman (2016)
-Deponia Doomsday
-Metal Gear Survive
-Dark Void Zero
-Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
-Dead Mountaineer's Hotel
-Chantelise
-Capsized
-WARP
-Ignite
-Twin Sector
-Fireburst

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
All right, the sheet has been updated for the next Blitz. Feel free to add your games now and after I do the raffle either late tonight (so it's April 1st most everywhere) or tomorrow I'll do a few last updates.

If you make your name a link I just carry you over to the new Blitz so you don't have to link up again.

Get to it!

Edit: Feel free to post your next list here but I'll make a thread within the next 24 hours so that'll be around soon to post it.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Went with a PnC/Adventure theme, so we have:
  • Little Misfortune
  • Tsioque
  • Smile For Me
  • Finding Paradise
  • Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders

this time.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
All right, the new thread will be made shortly but time to announce the winners of the raffle this Blitz. With the help of Morwull on Discord I had the numbers randomized for the drawing and the winner is...

Me. Congrats to Wibblewozzer! I finally won after taking part in eight or nine of these over the last couple years. Woo! The first number pulled was #1 which landed on Steins;Gate. I decided 2021 would be me playing more VNs to clear out my purchases and that was the first one this year.

With the prize pool of $50 and me using only $25 of it (I'm going to buy Kara no Shoujo 2 when it goes on sale next so I'm guessing the price) that does leave $25 remaining for the next winner to use. So let's go ahead and announce the next up in the raffle. The second winner is...

gabbo! Congrats! Gabbo got the next spot for completing Halo 2, the only game they completed on their list. That's why I tell people to still join if they think they'll only complete one of their games. It pays off!

So Gabbo, PM me whatever you want within $25. I'm not worried about which store but let me know your region and maybe check to make sure I (in the US) will be able to gift it or buy a key for you.

And with that it's time for the new thread to get made (coming up shortly).