Community Backlog Blitz Season 8 - Runs July 1 through September 30 with a raffle at the end

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
We just finished a successful seventh season of the Backlog Blitz. We had 19 participants with 95 game goals set and 61 of them were completed. Congrats on clearing out those backlogs! C-Dub was the big winner this time with winning the first draw of the prize for completing Tomb Raider (2013). Make sure to congratulate them here or at the previous thread!

It's Summer in the Northern Hemisphere so it's time to stay indoors to protect your skin from those UV rays and play some games! Don't forget to take those Summer vacations we all need to prioritize the new releases you've been waiting for to make time to clean out those backlogs!

The spreadsheet has been updated, the prize pool has been reset, and this is the best time to get through those backlogs before the big games of 2021 start hitting in September (not to say there hasn't already been enough distractions!).

Pick your games accordingly!

What it is:

It's a simple way to clear out some backlog games. You select a number of specific games you want to complete and if you complete them in a set time frame you have a chance to pick a game of your choice within the prize limits.

Rules:

First off, there is no time limit on when you can join. If you come in late and only have a month left please feel free to join. Even one completed game will get you entered into the raffle detailed below.

Everyone shares the same rules so an agreed amount of time would be set (three months this time) and then a set amount of games you want to complete in that time (been using five games). You then pick your specific five games with the intention that you don't go changing it all the time. The idea isn't that once you beat some game you go and list it and mark it complete. Instead you pick five games to complete at the start of the Blitz and ideally you complete them as well as anything else you want to finish in that time.

Prize:

In the end I suggest a prize pool and a simple raffle done. I always chip in $20 to start it and accept any other additions. Raffle winners must use at least half but can go up to the full price of a game (capped at $60 if the prize pool gets large enough). Leftover goes to the next drawn winner until it gets down to $0 (or close enough at which point I'll just add it to the next Blitz).

Thoughts?

There's no entry fee or anything so there's really no loss for taking part or starting it and then ignoring it. It's just a fun way to clear out backlog games and have discussion about what you're completing. And commiserate if you pick a game you don't enjoy and sour one of your spots on your list.

I created the Google Sheet so feel free to add yourself and games:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I changed to a hide until replied as I think some people had issues with the hide until reacted. Ask any questions and sorry for those that already posted their new lists in the previous thread. Feel free to just post it again here as we continue for the next three months here.

Good luck, everyone!

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I was doing pretty bad in the past three blitz due to shiny new things, so this time I will concentrate myself on the following games in the next three months. Recently I have been controlling my gaming session strictly with a timetable, so it should not be too hard to limit myself on them.

• Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Ray Gigant
  • Disgaea PC
  • Emily is Away
  • Darksiders Warmastered Edition

I am playing both Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Ray Gigant now. M+R is one of my previous unfinished blitz games. It is very good and I am immensely enjoying it. Going to play the challenge levels, coop levels and Donkey Kong DLC so there's still a lot of content left. On the other hand, I grabbed Ray Gigant a few days ago thanks to the sale, so technically it is not a backlog game but, well, it is a pretty old game afterall. :D

Disgaea PC will be the main dish in this blitz. Very long game and I plan to do everything. Meanwhile, I also plan to complete Emily is Away and Darksiders 1 to avoid burnout from Disgaea. I have played and finished Darksiders on console years ago (loved it!) but all these discussions in previous threads and the sequels sitting in my backlog prompt me to play this game again.

Going to play Tales of Arise on day 1 so hopefully I can finish most of them before it releases. Fun times ahead!

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I'm going to start with Jedi Fallen Order before I commit to other games for this season

• Comfy
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Last time my theme was Metrodvanias. It turned out to be a lot of less traditional games for the genre, and while I didn't enjoy them all, it was nice to knock out the games I'd been neglecting for years.

So I tried to decide if I wanted to do a theme again. It could be five more Metroidvanias. Or another genre. Or some other theme based on year of release, series, original games, etc. In the end I did a theme that won't make a ton of sense to others but at the start of the year I put together a list of gaming goals split up in themes/series that included about 50 games and I've done a terrible job working through the games on that list since I've played everything else and a lot of long games. So my theme is five games to help push me through more of those goals:

• Trine 4
  • Assassin's Creed Unity
  • Mega Man X2
  • Resident Evil (2002)
  • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
For each of those my larger set of listed games are to play through and finish those series so this will hopefully jumpstart me getting back into working through those franchises. I have an alternate choice of Far Cry Primal I may swap in but I'll probably keep my list as it is.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I moved three games from my previous blitz
Darksiders 3
Code Vein
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

Haven't decided the other two games yet

• Comfy
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I moved three games from my previous blitz
Darksiders 3
Code Vein
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

Haven't decided the other two games yet
Not sure if you're aware, or if you'd care, but for Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth wait a couple weeks and they'll be patching in achievements and some other modes and features. I've been waiting for achievements since I saw they were coming before starting up my copy.

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip and Deku

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Not sure if you're aware, or if you'd care, but for Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth wait a couple weeks and they'll be patching in achievements and some other modes and features. I've been waiting for achievements since I saw they were coming before starting up my copy.
Yes, I am aware of that and it's mostly because of that I didn't finish it. I did started to play it, but then I saw that they have more content for it and didn't play more

• Comfy
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
C-Dub made their prize selection and there's $8.82 left over for a second drawing. ganmo wins the second drawing so hopefully you have a game on sale or something that fits within that range! The win for ganmo comes from completing Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge.

Congrats! Just PM me what game you want and your region so I can work out any region shenanigans if necessary.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Trying to finish my Steam Sale pickups mostly for this blitz and some stuff I am already playing

• Chicory
  • Papetura
  • Tanuki Sunset
  • Vaporum
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
Over half way done with Vaporum and the rest doesn’t seem so long. Should be doable

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Congrats C-Dub and ganmo !

I was thinking about my next blitz games a few days ago and ended up with a 2D theme, and had a nice 5 games on there. But then I bought a few games from the sale and I think I'm putting at least one of them immediately into the blitz, so I've been thinking about which one to drop.

And I think this is my list.
1. SteamWorld Dig 2 - This is the new game I bought. I have so far played Dig 1 and Heist and loved both, SteamWorld games are dope.
2. The Messenger - This came up in discord because of gamepass I think, and oh hey I own it already so I should play it.
3. Aquaria - I played through this one once, way way back when it first came out. Wibble played it on the last blitz and I got very curious how it holds up to the memory I have of it.
4. Dex - This is a bit of a random selection in that I was just looking through my library for 2D games I haven't played and saw this and remembered being quite curious about it when it launched.
5. BloodRayne Betrayal - The remaster is coming soon so I guess I should play this through at least once. It's the lowest rated game on my blitz with mixed rating. I looked up some of the reviews and I guess it eats inputs (for some people?) and other stuff, so we'll see how it shakes out.

I've also prepared a few backup games this time, I'm prepared for anything! :blobmorning2:

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Awesome, sent you PM. Hopefully that game is available for my region :)
As for the next blitz season. I think I go with the first game with

1. Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator- - A bit unual maybe, but I 'll go with it to part learn fighting games, and also to play each character's story. Because I'm kind of in thinking of whether to get the next installment of this game series ^^

As for the 2-5, I don't know yet :minos_thonking:

Reactions: lashman
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
And all prizes for the previous blitz are complete and the full prize pool was used so we start fresh with $20. As always chipping in is welcome for a bigger end prize in the raffle but never a requirement. I'll post details here later (busy at the moment) on how to chip in or you can PM me if interested and I'll also get back to anyone that does that.

Reactions: ganmo

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
For my prize I picked Lacuna: A SciFi Noir Adventure, which I found in discovery a few weeks ago. Will be giving it a try in a bit.

I put a placeholder list of new games on the spreadsheet but I've just changed it, as I feel the spirit of the Backlog Blitz (for me) is to play games I might not otherwise play. So here's my five:

1. Carrion
2. 428: Shibuya Scramble
3. The Coma: Recut
4. Moss
5. Outer Wilds

These are 5 games I've been meaning to play for a while, but I just haven't got around to 'em. I also picked some "backup" games in case I really dislike anything in my first five: Crypt of the Necrodancer, A Mortician's Tale, Moon Hunters, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments and Steins;Gate Elite. I imagine a fair few of these will be in my next Blitz.

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Reposting from the previous thread for the new season 8 thread:
  • mutant year zero: road to eden
  • Halo 3 ODST
  • The Church in the Darkness
  • Metro Exodus
  • Homefront
Congrats to the winners for the previous season.
So far Bloodrayne 2 and Pathologic 2 are the games that keep getting away, so im going to keep them off my list for a while

Last edited:

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
This'll be my first time joining the blitz. Had some prior misunderstanding about the "backlog blitz" which Wibble cleared up for me in discord.
  1. Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Finished Chapter 12 last night, with about 36 hours clocked in so far. The chapter 12 ending and 13 intro were amazing.

2. Scarlet Nexus - Started my first playthrough with Yuito and currently on Phase 7. 12 hours clocked in. (Hard Mode)

3. Killer is Dead - Started this a few days ago after having finished NMH 1 & 2 last month. I guess you could say I'm part of the Suda51 fan club now. :p

4. Killer 7 - Plan to play this after I finish KID. I've known about the game since the PS2 days, but never played it.

5. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - This is a legitimate backlog. I dropped it around Chapter 9 or 10, I think. Plan on finishing it after Yakuza 7. And maybe even more Yakuza after that now that the entire series is on Steam. :p

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'll join up this time because I apparently really need extra motivation to clear some of these out. My games are:

1. Age of Empires 2 DE- I have never played an AoE game before so this will be interesting.
2. FFXV- I just started this on PC the other day so may as well throw it in here.
3. Cities Skylines- I've had this since it came out and have never really played it. This is ridiculous and needs to end now.
4. AI Somnium Files- The sequel announcement the other day has spurred me to get through this finally.
5. Demons Souls Remake- Another game I bought day 1 with my PS5 and have not played. At least this one's only like 8 months old instead of 5 years like Cities....

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Good news, the Blitz prize pool has grown! Thanks to Derrick01 and his $25 we're now up to $45 for an early big jump in the prize for the ending raffle.

And for anyone else that is up for chipping in the below methods are the typical ways to send money. Please let me know if you do send money. If you do it by adding a comment give your name and what it's for so I don't confuse it for something else and can also say who sent what. Details below:

Paypal - Wibblewozzer@gmail.com
Venmo - @Nicholas-Garboden
Square Cash App - $NicholasGarboden

If those don't work just reach out to me and I can work something out. I'll accept Steam wallet credit, for example, and still just add to the overall pool even if the prize at the end is purchased from another store.

Also, we're only two below matching last season's participant count. Hopefully we get at least two more to join up (it's very early so I suspect we will) but I'd love to see it climb even higher.

• Gib
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Well, it didn't last long. I just learnt that some achievements in Ray Gigant are glitched and there is a potential game breaking bug. So I am trying to refund the game now. What a shame as I was enjoying it.

Going to swap in another game later.

Edit: Turns out I am also not able to launch Disgaea PC. Man, I am upset. Change the list of games to things in similar genre:

• Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Ray Gigant Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force
  • Disgaea PC Fae Tactics
  • Emily is Away
  • Darksiders Warmastered Edition

Last edited:

Involution

Aug 24, 2020
Congrats C-Dub and ganmo

My list for this time:
  • Code Vein
  • Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
  • Subnautica: Below Zero
  • Yakuza 3
  • Cho Dengeki Stryker
Let's see how this goes, or if I fail horribly :steam_pigblanket:
Let me know if you want to play iceborne together. Might help you clear the game faster.

I've yet to decide on any games but I might participate this time, so I'll be back

Reactions: Ascheroth
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
These are 5 games I've been meaning to play for a while, but I just haven't got around to 'em. I also picked some "backup" games in case I really dislike anything in my first five: Crypt of the Necrodancer, A Mortician's Tale, Moon Hunters, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments and Steins;Gate Elite. I imagine a fair few of these will be in my next Blitz.
Just a possible warning for Mortician's Tale. It's very short so you could probably knock it out real easy outside of a Blitz. I have 68 minutes on the game getting all achievements, which required me replaying a bunch of it since if you miss an achievement you have to replay from the start. And it's also not exactly that great. It's mildly interesting learning about funeral home stuff but it's not deep in any way and it obviously ends very quickly. I had some high hopes for it but there's not much to it.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Just a possible warning for Mortician's Tale. It's very short so you could probably knock it out real easy outside of a Blitz. I have 68 minutes on the game getting all achievements, which required me replaying a bunch of it since if you miss an achievement you have to replay from the start. And it's also not exactly that great. It's mildly interesting learning about funeral home stuff but it's not deep in any way and it obviously ends very quickly. I had some high hopes for it but there's not much to it.
I got it in the Itch Palestine bundle and my expectations aren't super high. I know it's short and it'll fill a hole if one of my main Blitz games fails to impress.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
And Homefront down in an afternoon. That was about half a good game and half failing to live up to potential

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I had a lot of stuff going on so decided to sit out the last one, will be jumping in on this one, will pick my games in the next few days

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finished the main campaign of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Not crossing it out yet because there's still tons to do including Donkey Kong's DLC. Such a great twist to the usual XCOM gameplay. Fantastic game. I can't wait to play the sequel.

Also starting Darksiders 1 tomorrow. Excited to become the horsemen again.

Reactions: C-Dub

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finished Vaporum

Really dug it as my first foray into dungeon crawlers. Might've not be the best place to start because it being realtime requires some situational awareness that I didn't always have. The game was also a bit dark. Sometimes it was hard to see things. A few of the puzzles are a bit obtuse though could always be that I oversaw a hint.

Anyway, think dungeon crawlers seem like a genre that I can enjoy. So I will play more of them in the future. Wasn't like there are a billion RPGs I want to play already so what harm could a few more dozens do?

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I did not like The Coma: Recut or Carrion, so I've dropped both. The Coma was just cliched horror, while Carrion had awkawrd controls and didn't grab me. I've replaced them with A Mortician's Tale and Moon Hunters.

I did start 428: Shibuya Scramble and I'm really digging it. I love the idea of these plots kind of intertwining, but only when you've guided the characters into making the right choices. There are some fun and goofy endings that come with the bad choices and it's just as interesting to cause chaos as it is to do the right thing with the characters.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finished Chicory. I really liked it even though it overstood its welcome for me. There is some stuff (for example the whole decor aspect) that I didn't really nead. Anyway, I recommend it because it is still pretty unique.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Finished Chicory. I really liked it even though it overstood its welcome for me. There is some stuff (for example the whole decor aspect) that I didn't really nead. Anyway, I recommend it because it is still pretty unique.
Did you play Wandersong? How do you feel it compared, if you did?

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Only beat Assassin's Creed: Origins last Blitz (which was fucking long tbh :ROFLMAO:) so hopefully I'll do a little better this time.

Got my list figured out:

• Bugsnax (PS5)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
  • Return to Shironagasu Island (Steam)
  • Riddled Corpses EX (PS4)
  • Watch Dogs: Legion - Bloodline (PS5)

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Did you play Wandersong? How do you feel it compared, if you did?
Yes, also played Wandersong. Felt pretty much the same way tbh. Liked it but a tad too long as well. Though I think I prefer Chicory just because a lot of the themes hit closer to home for me and it dialed back the general breeziness of the writing.

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finished Tanuki Sunset. Really great vibes, and a good style. Soundtrack is great, too. Only things I found lacking are a lack of depth and sometimes the distance between checkpoints is too far. But nevetheless, really neat game.

Think I will tackle Papatura which should be another quickie. Really been tearing through my Summer Sale pickups and it's been great

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I just finished Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. It's a good game that would be better if the combat was better designed, I don't like enemies that can tank attacks for no reason, like in Double Dragon Neon.

That's 1 out of 5, next should be The Night of the Rabbit.

Reactions: C-Dub and Cacher

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finished Papetura. It's alright but I think I am done with P'n'C games in general. Just a genre that I sadly don't have as a good time as I want to

Only Samus Returns left but it loses me a little bit because so far I don't think the character progression is very satisfying.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm not quite done with FFXV yet as I have a couple more DLCs to play (they're awful so far) but I did finish the main game. I wanted to see what the royal addition added and while they did fix the infamous chapter 13 a little bit, they made the game even worse IMO by adding more bloat to the last bit of the game. It also didn't change the fact that for most of the first 9 or so chapters not much really happens story wise. You'll spend the bulk of your time in the open world doing generic fetch and kill quests but if you just did story missions you'd blow through most of the game in a few hours probably.

The whole game is such wasted potential and I have it as the 2nd worst mainline FF game. It made me appreciate FF7 Remake a lot more as it had a pretty clear vision on what it wanted to do and executed it. It wasn't some bastardized amalgamation of 3 or more genres.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
ODST down - most fun Halo from the MCC so far, but Rookie's sections were way too melodramatically plotted

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
By the way, we now have more participants than the previous season! Woo! I always watch this to try to judge if interest is flagging (though thankfully we've largely remained steady). It's not unusual for like 1-3 more to join up through the first half so perhaps we'll get another couple more squeaking in?

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I gave age of empires 2 DE an honest shot but it hitches a lot for me for some reason. Seems to get worse the more units and action gets on screen, last map I did got as bad as stopping for 2-3 seconds every 20-30 seconds. I'm gonna have to swap it out for something else.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
So here is all the games that I will play for the Blitz. First three are from the previous Blitz which I wasn't able to finish. I am close to the end of Darksiders 3. After that I will play Record of Lodoss War. The devs have released a Final Update which has more content and add achievements :D

Darksiders 3
Code Vein
Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition

Reactions: Cacher
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
So here is all the games that I will play for the Blitz. First three are from the previous Blitz which I wasn't able to finish. I am close to the end of Darksiders 3. After that I will play Record of Lodoss War. The devs have released a Final Update which has more content and add achievements :D

Darksiders 3
Code Vein
Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Glad I waited on Deedlit. Started it last night post patch and you get an achievement right at the start :D I'm guessing you would get achievements earned prior to implementation but in case not it was good to wait.

Really liking what I played so far. It already feels better than Touhou Luna Nights and the design of the areas feels a little more interesting (though it seems to still lack having rooms that have both dimensions over 1 or a shape other than a straight line.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Glad I waited on Deedlit. Started it last night post patch and you get an achievement right at the start :D I'm guessing you would get achievements earned prior to implementation but in case not it was good to wait.

Really liking what I played so far. It already feels better than Touhou Luna Nights and the design of the areas feels a little more interesting (though it seems to still lack having rooms that have both dimensions over 1 or a shape other than a straight line.
I only played the first level before I found out that they have an update that adds achievements, so I waited for it