Community Backlog Blitz Season 8 - Runs July 1 through September 30 with a raffle at the end

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
I've played and enjoyed most of Daedalic adventure games and The Night of the Rabbit so far is my less favorite. It's too unfocused, it tries to be too many things at once: a P&C adventure game, a hidden object game and a card game. The story progression is too slow, the objectives are too ambigous, the card game too simplistic, the HO part too annoying to bother. The art and music are still the usual top notch Daedalic quality.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Started to play Deedlit. I decided to start over since I probably already forgot the controls. I already got to the second stage. The game is so much fun ;)

Not many unlocked the achievements yet. I guess most have played through the game once and just leave it and never play it again

Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished SteamWorld Dig 2 so that one done. It's great. Briefly considered trying to do the remaining achievements on a second run, but there's a time limit on one of them and I'm just really bad at trying speedrun of any kind, even if the timelimit is generous.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Already got to stage 6. The game isn't so long, but it is really fun to play.
Encountered a bug where the controller is constantly vibrating after taking a hit from an enemy. Luckily it ends if I press the start button.
The game also got an overpowered spell which would make me invincible in boss fights.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Still playing GG xrd, actually trying on the many combo tutorials now, and I'm not the most rhytm-type of person which can hit the buttons fast enough or in a steady rhytm... so I'm wondering if I should continue with it or switch to something else?

too bad though, since I was thinking of whether to buy GG Strive based on my experience with GG xrd. but I read that Strive should be an easier game, which is much different to it predecessors... anyone which played Strive and can confirm it to me? :unsure:

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I've been playing a little bit of Resident Evil HD Remaster each night and after each session I think I'll end up swapping to the alternate controls or using cheats so I can still go through it but without frustrations but then the next day I feel refreshed and think "I've got this!" It's definitely slow going since it's my first time going through the game so my playtime looks like it'll go over online averages. And who knows, I might eventually find it frustrating later on and make things easier eventually but for now I'm still chugging along with two death masks and prepared to go into the attic the next time I load up.

It'll be nice to get through it but I think I just like more modern (Resident Evil 4 and later) games.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finished SteamWorld Dig 2 so that one done. It's great. Briefly considered trying to do the remaining achievements on a second run, but there's a time limit on one of them and I'm just really bad at trying speedrun of any kind, even if the timelimit is generous.
The speedrun achievement in the first game was pretty fun and quite challenging to me. I tried a few times to get it. It really feels like I made an achievement. Probably going to attempt it in 2, too.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Finished Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-
Highly recommend this game if you like old school platformer. Really fun game
I've been holding off on continuing until the achievements update hit ( :notlikethisblob: ), so I'll be picking it up again soon! What I played of it was good fun. Tight controls, great visuals, and satisfying sound effects. Apparently on the short side and relatively simple level design, but it seems alright for the price. I think Hollow Knight's pricing kind of threw off people expectations. They really undervalued that game for the amount of stuff that's in it and at that quality too.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started The Messenger. It's pretty good so far. Some of the jokey writing is a bit too much but I'll rather take that then any ultra serious stuff. And to its credit it has gotten a few actual chuckles out of me.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I've been holding off on continuing until the achievements update hit ( :notlikethisblob: ), so I'll be picking it up again soon! What I played of it was good fun. Tight controls, great visuals, and satisfying sound effects. Apparently on the short side and relatively simple level design, but it seems alright for the price. I think Hollow Knight's pricing kind of threw off people expectations. They really undervalued that game for the amount of stuff that's in it and at that quality too.
The achievements have already been added some days ago

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Finished RE3 remake. I didn't hate it as much as I thought it would, it certainly helps that it uses the same gameplay loop RE2 established but it's definitely a worse game. Fewer puzzles, worse levels and a neutered nemesis make it a more forgettable experience.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
And I just completed Resident Evil HD Remaster for my first Blitz game completed. I was struggling to enjoy it during the first quarter and that hinged almost entirely on not realizing you had to get out of being grabbed or you'd just die even at full health. I died a bunch because a dog would leap on me when I had full health and I'd just lay there being chewed on. Once I realized by mashing buttons and wiggling the stick, not sure which was needed, I could get free and take a ton more hits. At that point I stopped dying entirely and really got a better flow for things. Had a great time by the end and I recognize why people would have liked the series right from the start (of course this version looks better, contains some other changes, and had redone writing and acting).

I should have Megaman X2 complete pretty soon, too, as I was working at that a little bit the past few nights.

Reactions: Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
And I just completed Resident Evil HD Remaster for my first Blitz game completed. I was struggling to enjoy it during the first quarter and that hinged almost entirely on not realizing you had to get out of being grabbed or you'd just die even at full health. I died a bunch because a dog would leap on me when I had full health and I'd just lay there being chewed on. Once I realized by mashing buttons and wiggling the stick, not sure which was needed, I could get free and take a ton more hits. At that point I stopped dying entirely and really got a better flow for things. Had a great time by the end and I recognize why people would have liked the series right from the start (of course this version looks better, contains some other changes, and had redone writing and acting).

I should have Megaman X2 complete pretty soon, too, as I was working at that a little bit the past few nights.
Now you're ready for the good part of the series: RE2 Remake.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Now you're ready for the good part of the series: RE2 Remake.
At this point I've completed (not in this order):
  • Resident Evil HD Remaster
  • Resident Evil 2 / Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Resident Evil 8
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2
I think that covers it. So my main goals at this point are 0, 6 (which I've played a few hours previously), and the two rail shooters that are up on PS Now (I think it's Darkside Chronicles and Umbrella Chronicles?). After that I've largely caught up outside of the really garbage modern games from some years ago. Oh, and I guess I should consider Code Veronica. I constantly forget that exists.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Resident Evil 8
I think that covers it. So my main goals at this point are 0, 6 (which I've played a few hours previously), and the two rail shooters that are up on PS Now (I think it's Darkside Chronicles and Umbrella Chronicles?). After that I've largely caught up outside of the really garbage modern games from some years ago.
Oh I wasn't aware you had played them all.

Oh, and I guess I should consider Code Veronica. I constantly forget that exists.
That's ok Capcom does too.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Not sure what end game of GG will become, was going for the story, and the character stories, but I got stuck with the tutorial sections where I can learn each characters move-set and then also combos. Quite difficult and I'm still on the first character only :loudly-crying-face:

Anyhow, I'm going to add Batman Origin as my second game. So I'll be playing something else when I'm tired of not getting combos executed correctly :disappointed-but-relieved-face:

1. Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-
  2. Batman™: Arkham Origins

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Resident Evil 8
I think that covers it. So my main goals at this point are 0, 6 (which I've played a few hours previously), and the two rail shooters that are up on PS Now (I think it's Darkside Chronicles and Umbrella Chronicles?). After that I've largely caught up outside of the really garbage modern games from some years ago. Oh, and I guess I should consider Code Veronica. I constantly forget that exists.
You can also play Code Veronica 2: Survivor 2? I forget what it's called :face-with-tears-of-joy:

It's only 45mins to 1hr long tho

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
You can also play Code Veronica 2: Survivor 2? I forget what it's called :face-with-tears-of-joy:

It's only 45mins to 1hr long tho
I'm assuming the only way to play that one would be to get a PS2 and that game? That's not happening. I think I can play the proper Code Veronica on PS Now so I might have to check that out.

I started up Resident Evil 0 tonight since I was in the mood for more Resident Evil and it's one of my goal games. I also know people largely dislike the game so I went in wondering if I'd hate it right at the start and just put it down. Well, I'm 1/3 through it now, or at least nearly so as best as I can tell looking at a guide to judge how far in I am. I'm liking it decently. It's a bit clunky with some things and I went to a prior save after wasting a ton of ammo and health in one spot. And I'm sure due to how things are done with the two characters I'll have situations where I'll simply be screwed going in ignorant and lose control of the character with the big weapons.

Anyhow, glad I'm giving it a shot. I do expect to get annoyed a few times but hopefully I'll get through it without too many issues.

And I meant to play through Mega Man X2 today to clear another Blitz game. Oh well!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished The Messenger, that's 2 games done. Though I do still have the DLC left, it looks like a short one.
I really enjoyed it most of the way through. Some of the optional power seals were a bit tough to get, never really got that good at keeping the ninja in the air for extended period with cloudstep. So those were a bit frustrating. Few checkpoints were a bit annoying too, like they put the checkpoint two rooms before the tough jumping section, just put it next to it. There's nothing in the rooms before that can really truly hurt me, so it just adds to the frustration that I need to go through it every time I fall to my death. In a way that kind of design reminds me of early dark souls with how bonfires tended to be far away from the bosses. It's not that bad, just reminds me of the unnecessary tedium.

I had something else in mind too before I started writing this, but now I don't remember. 👴

I also didn't realize that the dev's next game, Sea of Stars, is a prequel to this one.
Neat.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Game n° 3 is Obscure, so far seems like a mix between an old school survival horror and the movie The Faculty

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I started to play SteamWorld Quest. I knew that it was an rpg, but I didn't expect it to be a card battle game. Still kinda fun to play, but the battles feel slow. So I decided to use speed hack to speed up the game. Even at 2x speed the battles feel slow. Might increase it to 3x

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Been busy with the Giveaway Bot and a bunch of other stuff, so most of my free time had been spent on not getting through the Backlog Blitz titles. Since that's mostly out of the way, for now, I can provide some updates on the Blitz. Finished Yakuza: LAD a week ago, and Scarlet Nexus (Yuito only) + Killer is Dead today.

If anyone reading this is a fan of Japanese action games (e.g., DMC, Kamiya's games, the recent Tales of), then definitely give Scarlet Nexus a try. The combat has depth, which most reviewers seem to have glossed over or just weren't aware of the combat interactions possible (I think one review site even outright said that the combat has no depth, which is just LOL). I've also seen some complaints about "there's just too much going on with the combat", which is true, but I personally like that aspect of the game. There are a lot of combat interactions to discover and play around with it. Even near the end of my first playthrough (25 hrs in), I was discovering new ways to combo enemies. (Bond 6 special moves add even more depth!)

Originally, I was looking forward to Scarlet Nexus for its combat, aesthetic, and OST. The game delivered on all three fronts for me, so I'm pretty damn satisfied with it. Don't much care for the typical anime story/characters, though. The only one that stood out to me was Arashi.

Anyway, onto Killer 7 & YK 2!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished The Messenger DLC, next for blitz is probably Dex. Undecided if I'll start it right away or take a little break and play some other stuff in between.

• Comfy
Reactions: Rockin' Ranger
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Two Yakuza games in the same Blitz season! That's going to be impressive 😁
Also really weird choice to do Like a Dragon before other games in the series? It's a sequel and spoils some really big events but oh well!

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Isn't Like a Dragon a separate story game apart from the Kiryu games?
Not at all. It's different lead characters but it takes place after 6 and has plenty of references that spoil 6 as well as spoiling previous games, too.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Well, I wasn't gonna go through/buy 4 other entries in the series just to play Yakuza LAD. I wanted to play it, and I did just that. By the time I reach whatever things relating to 3-6 were referenced, I'll have forgotten all about it. LAD's story was self-contained enough for me.

Personally, it didn't affect my enjoyment or understanding of the game. But hey, that's just me.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
I've been playing some Batman Arkham Origins, struck me that animations, fighting and everything else is pretty much recycled between games. Still it fun to play, I wonder why? Come to think wasn't Penguin in every game too? I think I remember him to be the initial villain you meet in each game.

Btw, I've played boss fight with Deathstroke, which was pretty fun fighting. One of the best I've played of every game in the Arkham serie :pleasedblob:
so far enjoyable game, though I'm stuck with grinding hidden artifacts.. damn Riddler!

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I think so. In Asylum I can only remember Joker was in it :unsure:
Off the top of my head I remember the Gator fellow, Mr Freeze (people always mention it as the best fight), and maybe Scarecrow? Can't remember if he's in that first game or shows up in the second. Probably at least a couple others, too.

Origin has the best boss fights in the series if I recall. I really liked Origin.

Reactions: ganmo

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
The best Freeze boss fight was in City.

I know, they all kind of run together in my head too.

Asylum was primarily Joker and Harley, giant Scarecrow set pieces, Killer Croc in the severs, Zsasz who is completely forgettable, Bane, Ivy, Riddler's voice. I think that's all?

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
The best Freeze boss fight was in City.

I know, they all kind of run together in my head too.

Asylum was primarily Joker and Harley, giant Scarecrow set pieces, Killer Croc in the severs, Zsasz who is completely forgettable, Bane, Ivy, Riddler's voice. I think that's all?
Well shiiiiit. I definitely had it in my head that Freeze fight was in Asylum. Like even the location and everything made sense to me. But of course I played both of those games when they were new so it's been some time and definitely blended together in some ways.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Hmm cannot remember Freeze from City, been too long. Perhaps I should replay the games one day. At least that time I would enjoy it better maybe without the need to be maniac with collecting and doing Nigma's side quests.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I'm late to actually posting what games I'm going to do but I have decided on:

Subnautica
Ghost Recon: Breakpoint
Thief (The New one)
Night in the Woods

And I have no idea on my last game

So I had started to play Breakpoint & Subnautic earrlier in the month and I've actually beat both of them today so I need to decide on what to start next but here's my thoughts on both.

Subnautica:

I had previously tried to playthrough and beat Subnautica in 2018 and got about 20 hours into the game sort of taking everything in and enjoying it doing all the survival stuff, building bases and exploring all over the place. Going "oooh spooky noises" I don't really get freaked out or jump scared from stuff at least from games it's more of a "That's neat" or a "Lol that thing was supposed to be scary I guess?". Anyways the reason why I originally stopped playing was because my graphics card exploded in my computer. So this time around I wasn't super enthusiastic about building huge bases and everything like that.
I was mostly just trying to get the game completed and find out the ending or what the story was.
It's kind of too loosey goosey for the direction of the game on what they tell you to do or where to go, they gave super vague hints at depths of where things might be but the actual searchable area of the game is quite small. (I ended up getting annoyed and had to look up the general location to a cave entrance because Iwas spending hours going back and forth and probably missed it)

Overall I had fun but I just wish it had some more direction to it.
Also this is kind of spoilery for what stuff looks like and for a creature type/encounter so don't read it if you don't want to know:

So this is like the last big Leviathan you end up encountering in the "Lava zone" but you can easily beat the shit out of it with the prawn suit (Robo Mech Suit). There's a spot under its mouth and inbetween its arms where you are out of its hit radius/bite radius that it can't hit you at all. Normally the Prawn Suit sinks like a rock but it has a grapple hook that latches on forever so if you get it latched on in the right spot you can just punch it to death. The Leviathans will run away when they get low HP but they can't run away anywhere when you are hooked on. It's hilarious, also I did it to every one of them I saw and you can Leave time capsules for other players and I told whoever gets mine how to do it with a grapple hook and mega batteries.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint
My friend and I 100% the story for this and uh... we both hate it. We previously played and 100%'d Ghost Recon: Wildlands and thought we were getting into a sequel that would be the same but better and we ended up with a game that was basically just a downgrade for everything. The entire both us were playing it we were being confused by menu systems, stupid mechanics for a Gear score system (Which although it can be disabled for "Hardcore" mode" it becomes pointless to disable it because if you do disable gear score you miss out on additional equipment drops for badguys which you can sell, dissemble for parts to use for crafting, etc. ).
The Gear Score items also give you +accuracy, +explosive damage, buffs on the gear so when you're fighting the giant fucking robots they make you fight to complete story missions that shoot missiles and launch nonstop grenades

They also have a mission for you to escort Sam Fisher to a cabin which then promptly ends by asking you to pay 40$ to buy the Year 1 pass, which we jokingly said its the Sam needs 40$ for a hooker mission, thats why he was in sucha hurry.

The cutscenes for the game have this annoying super long pause for when all of the npcs talk
Once you notice it you'll never not notice it, so you're welcome.

So Wildlands had a legitimate ending to the game, you didn't have to pay anything additional for that, Breakpoints ending is literally just so open ended that it felt like it was the halfway point of the game not the end.

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Hmm cannot remember Freeze from City, been too long. Perhaps I should replay the games one day. At least that time I would enjoy it better maybe without the need to be maniac with collecting and doing Nigma's side quests.
Freeze fight in City takes place in the frozen police station, he tracks your footsteps if I remember right. On normal you can reuse attacks like the wallbomb or zipline kick, but on high difficulty he adapts after each attack so you can't use the same attack/tool twice. It's a fun fight and basically a near perfect execution of the sneak around, surprise attack and vanish gameplay of the series, condensed into one boss fight. The relatively small arena also helps to ramp it up a bit.

Subnautica:

I had previously tried to playthrough and beat Subnautica in 2018 and got about 20 hours into the game sort of taking everything in and enjoying it doing all the survival stuff, building bases and exploring all over the place. Going "oooh spooky noises" I don't really get freaked out or jump scared from stuff at least from games it's more of a "That's neat" or a "Lol that thing was supposed to be scary I guess?". Anyways the reason why I originally stopped playing was because my graphics card exploded in my computer. So this time around I wasn't super enthusiastic about building huge bases and everything like that.
I was mostly just trying to get the game completed and find out the ending or what the story was.
It's kind of too loosey goosey for the direction of the game on what they tell you to do or where to go, they gave super vague hints at depths of where things might be but the actual searchable area of the game is quite small. (I ended up getting annoyed and had to look up the general location to a cave entrance because Iwas spending hours going back and forth and probably missed it)

Overall I had fun but I just wish it had some more direction to it.
I need to finish Subnautica at some point.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So like don't get me wrong with subnautica I really enjoyed my time with it besides the fact that at a few times I felt like I was going in circles and I even had the mythical playing for a little bit and then I looked at the clock and holy shit it's 3 am

I'd definitely recommend it but well yeah like my other post said.
My total playtime for the one where i beat it was 60~ hours

Reactions: Cacher