Community Backlog Blitz Season 8 - Runs July 1 through September 30 with a raffle at the end

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
My Blitz picks were based on a large goal list I created at the beginning of the year that are largely about completing games in a series. My thought would be that by completing my Blitz games they'd get me to play more of those goal games and that's worked but also gotten in the way of completing Blitz games. I completed Resident Evil 1 (blitz) and then finished 0 and 1/3 or so of Resident Evil 6. I finished Mega Man X2 (blitz) and last night finished X3. This is really slowing me down, along with everything else I'm playing, so the plan was overall effective but completing all five games will be a real challenge for me if I don't just focus them down!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I've been doing surprisingly well considering this is probably my most ambitious list so far.
Code Vein, Iceborne (story) and Yakuza 3 done.
Over halfway through Cho Dengeki Stryker and good progress in Below Zero.

And that is with an unplanned Ys 9 interruption and a big Genshin update inbetween. Not sure I'll finish them in time though, since there's another big Genshin update next week, but it's going about as well as I expected.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
This blitz isn't going well for me. Just one game completed and I haven't figured out what other games I wanna play :unsure:
I did add "Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit" now though, since I started it out not long ago, and kind of liked it so it will be a game for the Blitz.

But other than that I haven't really been playing GG Strive so much, and instead of figure out what other games to play I play terraria, or overwatch instead. two games where I can just chill :pleasedblob:

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I have Aquaria left on mine, and it's about 16 hours so I think I'm safe to start Psychonauts 2 instead for now.
šŸ„½

Reactions: C-Dub

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Continuing my adventure in Fairy Fencer F ADF. Entered the second route "Vile God". Pleasantly surprised to see that the story is totally different from Goddess Route. Nearly all the characters are fleshed out due to certain plot reason, and the pacing is also better than that of the Goddess Route. Really enjoy it!

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Beat "Hell Yeah!" yesterday. Not much to be said about that game. Quite different 2d platformer, quite fun at beginning, but then it became a bit repetitive and all the boss fights became a bit one sided?

Anyhow second game done. Still on-going with GG strive, and I have to figure out what other two games to play :D

Reactions: beep boop

Valdien

āœµ Chaos! āœµ
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Well, I finally get a chance to provide an update on the Backlog Blitz.

Yakuza 3 & Killer 7 finished. Also completed Kasane's playthrough in Scarlet Nexus.

Overall, I much preferred playing as Yuito because he's got a better combo potential, especially in the air. Kasane's air combos are very weak & rigid to pull off since most of her damage comes from her P-attacks. I had some gripes with the game, mainly its lock-on camera (I avoided using it) because it had trouble tracking enemies and would always put the camera position in awful spots. The other thing I had a problem with was the movement delay when combat ended. I just read that patch v1.03 is coming out soon that addresses these issues with a few other QoL changes, so that's cool. At least the devs are aware of it and haven't abandoned the game. Because they've created a very fun combat system here.

Yakuza 3 - I finished the game on hard... and in terms of combat, it was a miserable experience. I honestly cannot believe that the original dev team thought the combat was OK. It has so many flaws that it's just downright baffling. Hopefully, Y4 improves on it. As for the story, I enjoyed it but found the opening act (the orphanage part) dragged out a bit too long.

Killer 7 - I fucking loved it. /end
I believe the game holds up incredibly well and the "awkward" controls that were criticized back in the day actually work in the game's favour now. It's unique and at higher refresh rates, it's also enjoyable to use. In terms of story, characters, and the overall atmosphere, I'd say this still remains Suda's best work. Don't think he's ever going to top this. It's also the game that put Suda51 on the map. I see why now.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Re: Fairy Fencer F ADF

After 27 hours, Vile God Route is done. I played on hard difficulty and the final boss is a pretty tough fight. Overall I enjoy this route more than the first route thanks to the story and the new dungeons, but going through those original dungeons multiple times is tiring me out. Going to take a short break and play something different to avoid JRPG burn-out before starting Tales of Arise next week.

I swapped Fae Tactics to Virginia for some indie story-telling goodness. Excited to start playing it soon.

Edit: Experienced serious motion sickness in Virginia. Swapped to Aviary Attorney.

Last edited:
Reactions: beep boop

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Finished Code Vein. Whew, that was a lot of work. It was git gud :D
Very fun game. It's my first 3D souls-like game that I have completed.

With Code Vein finished I am done with the Blitz challenge

• Gib
Reactions: ganmo and beep boop

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Finished Subnautica Below Zero.
That only leaves Cho Dengeki Stryker where I'm probably around 2/3rds done from what I've read?
Seems doable if I actually sit down and focus on it (which is the big if though :p ).

• Gib
Reactions: ganmo and beep boop

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Finally did some progress since I got hooked on D2 :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Beat Vomitoreum (which I wholeheartedly recommend for people who are into retro shooters but wish they had more exploration) and got a bunch of victories in Humankind so I'm cataloguing it as beat as well. I think that with a few more patches under its belt, Humankind will end up supplanting Civ for me.
Now to see if I can knock out Dishonored 2 before Deathloop hits :sweaty-blob:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started Aquaria. It's a lot more expansive than I remembered. I also got to thinking that it's probably one of the first "proper" indie games I played. Since I played it at launch at 2007, that's before Braid and such. Cave Story released earlier but I can't remember if I learned of it before that.

Kind of wild to think that it was never ported to any console too. Would have needed to iron out the controller ui a bit better for that.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Started to play Dungeons 2, and thought it was quite fun so it will be my fourth game in the list to play.
I haven't really got into GG Strive yet, so not sure what the goal of it will be. Perhaps I'll just finish of the cinematic story line? šŸ™„

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Aquria, so I'm 5/5. :blobmorning2:

I had definitely forgotten how annoying some of the song stuff ends up being by the end. Fast switching between the forms during boss battles and such is clearly designed for kb and mouse with the shortcut keys and all, though I did end up using steam input to make my own radial menu for some of the common forms. Even with that it's not a great core mechanic. Story is just whatever. I got the full ending, not sure if I did back then. Boss battles in general just kind of suck too. But overall, I still enjoyed most of my time with after all these years. It moves fairly well, and with the energy form you can play it kind of like a dual joystick shooter. Music is also still mostly good.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
We just finished a successful seventh season of the Backlog Blitz. We had 19 participants with 95 game goals set and 61 of them were completed. Congrats on clearing out those backlogs! C-Dub was the big winner this time with winning the first draw of the prize for completing Tomb Raider (2013). Make sure to congratulate them here or at the previous thread!

It's Summer in the Northern Hemisphere so it's time to stay indoors to protect your skin from those UV rays and play some games! Don't forget to take those Summer vacations we all need to prioritize the new releases you've been waiting for to make time to clean out those backlogs!

The spreadsheet has been updated, the prize pool has been reset, and this is the best time to get through those backlogs before the big games of 2021 start hitting in September (not to say there hasn't already been enough distractions!).

Pick your games accordingly!

What it is:

It's a simple way to clear out some backlog games. You select a number of specific games you want to complete and if you complete them in a set time frame you have a chance to pick a game of your choice within the prize limits.

Rules:

First off, there is no time limit on when you can join. If you come in late and only have a month left please feel free to join. Even one completed game will get you entered into the raffle detailed below.

Everyone shares the same rules so an agreed amount of time would be set (three months this time) and then a set amount of games you want to complete in that time (been using five games). You then pick your specific five games with the intention that you don't go changing it all the time. The idea isn't that once you beat some game you go and list it and mark it complete. Instead you pick five games to complete at the start of the Blitz and ideally you complete them as well as anything else you want to finish in that time.

Prize:

In the end I suggest a prize pool and a simple raffle done. I always chip in $20 to start it and accept any other additions. Raffle winners must use at least half but can go up to the full price of a game (capped at $60 if the prize pool gets large enough). Leftover goes to the next drawn winner until it gets down to $0 (or close enough at which point I'll just add it to the next Blitz).

Thoughts?

There's no entry fee or anything so there's really no loss for taking part or starting it and then ignoring it. It's just a fun way to clear out backlog games and have discussion about what you're completing. And commiserate if you pick a game you don't enjoy and sour one of your spots on your list.

I created the Google Sheet so feel free to add yourself and games:

[Hidden content]

I changed to a hide until replied as I think some people had issues with the hide until reacted. Ask any questions and sorry for those that already posted their new lists in the previous thread. Feel free to just post it again here as we continue for the next three months here.

Good luck, everyone!
Ever since job, I've have least free time in my life. That side, 3DS has been a godsend for me.
So entering.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Ever since job, I've have least free time in my life. That side, 3DS has been a godsend for me.
So entering.
Just to make sure you caught the date you only have around two weeks, though of course completing just one game is enough to be entered into the raffle.

I waited too long and this month is all the new games so I have two games left and I just don't see me completing them. We'll see! But it's unlikely. This will be my first Blitz to not complete all five games.

Reactions: MegaApple

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Finished off third game, which was Dungeons 2.
Was quite fun at first, and the narrative kept me to play some more. But after awhile every good thing became too much... That aside the enjoyable part is that it was lots of parody on Game of Throne, and also some on Lord of the Rings. I thought first this game probably made by a British studio, but to my surprise maybe this game is made in Germany :O

I think I'm not going to finish five games either this round. I didn't even picked the 5th game to play either yet :geek:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Finished The Suffering, and it made me miss both Surreal and B-games like this NOt particularly scary, but a fun action game with a decent enough premise to keep me invested (despite some of the BS enemies later in the game) to finish it. I hear the sequel is kinda crap?

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah, good point. I think my shame at not completing all of mine has kept me from posting in here but this is the week call out! Only one week left to finish your remaining games! I'll finish one of my remaining two but no chance I'll finish both. I'm ashamed and I can't look my family in the eye going forward.

• Toucan
Reactions: Parsnip and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Let's see if I can finish Tales of Arise in the next few days so I can play my Blitz games. Two of the remaining are near the finish line so I might complete 4/5 games this time. :unsure:

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Beat The Ascent.

It's a bit rough around the edges and it can get weirdly difficult all of a sudden then go back to being easy, then back to difficult, repeat. It's also a damn fun time. I had some crashes and weird performance issues, but overall I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for an arcade shooter with cyberpunk vibes.

We'll see if I can find time to beat Dishonored 2 or Halo (both are at like 2 levels from the end :D ) before the month ends.

• Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus completed! Got all pages of the Thievius Raccoonus and earned the platinum trophy by doing so. Still a lot of fun around 75% of the game with the remaining 25% largely frustrating minigames and boss fights. But overall I did have a good time.

My last game is Assassin's Creed Unity. I might attempt to finish it in this last week but I'm not hopeful since I may just play other stuff (new games, Sly 2, etc.).

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finally, finally I have done all three routes of Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force. I am exhausted. It is certainly not a good idea to play two JRPG continuously.

Going to take a few days off from gaming, so the remaining two will be left to hang in the air. In the meantime, I will think about the games for the next Blitz.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Didn't do so great on this Blitz - I will enter again for October-December but I don't anticipate doing much as I'm entering a new busy period at work and I'm also expecting a lot of other things to do besides playing games.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I was certain I'd end with two or maybe one incomplete for the first time but I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed Unity, my remaining game, and I might actually finish it with the time I have after work over the next three days. It'll be a bit of a rush and a focus on the story more than other stuff but it might be done.

And yeah, I'm fairly set on my next games. I'll continue pulling them from my 2021 goal list I created at the start of the year and it'll be a lot of follow up games like Sly 2 since I finished Sly 1 this time and Mega Man X5 since I finished X2 (and then X3 and X4) this time.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I didn't even try Pillars of Eternity this time. I really want to be able to cross it off my backlog, but it is possibly the driest non-historical game I've played.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
A bit over 24 hours until the end (I always base it off my time in Pacific) but really I won't do the drawing until Friday afternoon when I'm off work so you have around 1.5 hours to finish up any last minute games and update your progress on the tracker.

The prize pool is $45 unless anyone wants to do any final additions. Not a bad prize for the winner!

Also, about ten days ago I was fairly certain I'd have only 3 of 5 games complete but I rushed through Sly 1 and a week ago or so I just accepted I'd be at 4 of 5 for the first time and fail to complete all five. But I've pushed through a lot of Assassin's Creed Unity and the toughest part about completing it on time is I really like the game and I'm pushing off some of the side stuff but I'm easily on pace now to finish it tomorrow after work. Woo! It's a really great game so I've been having a great time with it so it's fun to have as the final Blitz pick.

I'll have the new thread up Friday when I do the drawing as I like the have the winner announced at the same time but tomorrow after work I'll set up the new tab for the next Blitz. Get your games ready and feel free to post about them here or just hold off for the next thread.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Spreadsheet has been updated with the second tab being the next Blitz season. Feel free to update it now. I won't make the new thread until tomorrow after I'm off work and will draw the winner as well. That means you have around 18 hours to do any last updates and finish anything you've got remaining.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
And I actually was able to rush through Assassin's Creed Unity so I'm 5 for 5. Took a lot of focus at the very end of the Blitz to get through the final two in time. Glad I got around to Unity as I loved it and I think it's possibly the best up to through the release order so far. I would have done a lot more of the side content (though I never do all of it in these games) if I wasn't rushing for the Blitz but ultimately that may work in its favor because I probably would have felt it dragged in spots and got bored if I started forcing myself to complete a lot more of the other stuff in the game. Really fun and I look forward to more in the series now.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher and Parsnip

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Is it alright if I bring games I didn't finished for the next round?

I started to play BioShock Remastered, which I didn't manage to finish yet. Too scared to play it consequentially for hours :rolleyes:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Is it alright if I bring games I didn't finished for the next round?

I started to play BioShock Remastered, which I didn't manage to finish yet. Too scared to play it consequentially for hours :rolleyes:
I don't see why not, as long as you aren't like 5 minutes from finishing it. :toucan:

Reactions: ganmo
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
The big winner this time around is Nzyme. Congrats! Completing Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin was the winning draw in the raffle so thanks to Raz and all the mind shenanigans you now have $45 to pick a game of your choice.

Good job all and I'll be making the new thread fairly shortly!

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
I don't see why not, as long as you aren't like 5 minutes from finishing it. :toucan:
Hehe, not 5min from it ;)
Just been hesitating to play it. I do regret picking it haha. But I need to find out how the the ending will be. Unless I drag it out the entire next blitz round too xD

Congratulation also Nzyme