News Blood remaster announced for PC

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Horror first-person shooter Blood remaster announced for PC - Gematsu

Atari, in partnership with Nightdive Studios, has announced a remaster of the 1997-released horror first-person shooter Blood for PC.

Here are the details, via Atari:

About Blood
Originally released in 1997, Blood is a first-person shooter that helped redefine the genre and first introduced many elements now accepted as commonplace. In Blood, players jump into the boots of undead gunslinger Caleb as he seeks revenge against the dark god Chernobog. Caleb’s arsenal features a mix of standard and occult weaponry, which he uses to devastating and gore-filled, effect. In the game, players visit a terrifying world populated by hordes of bloodthirsty fiends including cultists, gargoyles, zombies, hellhounds, and an unholy host of other terrors.
Remaster Team
The team working on the game at Nightdive Studios includes lead engine developer Samuel “Kaiser” Villarreal, whose previous work includes The Original Strife, Turok, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil and, most recently, Forsaken Remastered. Additionally, developers Edward Richardson, James Haley, and producer Daniel Grayshon will be working on the project.
Upgrades
Originally developed by Monolith Productions and released in 1997, Bloodremains a fan-favorite and will receive enhancements to improve the action-packed, horrifying game experience.
Blood stood up extremely well over time and we are taking care to preserve all the qualities that made the game so special,” said producer Daniel Grayshon. “It really only needs minor updates to provide a better user experience for contemporary audiences. By using some of the functions of Nightdive’s KEX engine, we’ll be able to provide compatibility with today’s video standards, with DirectX and Vulkan support.”
Grayshon continued, “Similarly, we’ll provide compatibility with the current audio standards. We’ll add support for modern networks, Steamworks, and GOG Galaxy to bring this original game to more players. As part of this, we will preserve the accuracy of the game behavior. While these upgrades are relatively minor, we are confident that they will provide fans with a better, current generation gameplay experience.”​
More information will be announced in the coming weeks.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
That's nice, I guess. I only played the original for a few minutes so I'm not too excited for this, but I'll grab it eventually.

Reactions: lashman

pantsdeleon

Dec 6, 2018
This is a good get for Nightdive. Blood is a real classic. BTW I haven't heard much from Nightdive in what, two years now?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Finally some good news today. Blood was my favorite of the Build Engine games.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is a good get for Nightdive. Blood is a real classic. BTW I haven't heard much from Nightdive in what, two years now?
even when they're not porting games - they're still busy with System Shock Remake ... remember? ;)

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Hell yeah! You can never enough classic FPS's.
They're saying it uses the KEX engine, which is what they used for the Turok remasters. Interesting, considering this game has a PC version and could work with a source port.

pantsdeleon

Dec 6, 2018
even when they're not porting games - they're still busy with System Shock Remake ... remember? ;)
Surely that should just be put to bed already. Woof. They had a really nice niche going with their old game resurrection. I'd hate for them to go under because they branched out in an unnecessary direction.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Surely that should just be put to bed already. Woof. They had a really nice niche going with their old game resurrection. I'd hate for them to go under because they branched out in an unnecessary direction.
nah, i'm sure it's gonna be fine ... especially now that they returned to the original style instead of going full-modern

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Blood has such a great style-feel. I always thought it was the best of the Build engine games, even more than Shadow Warrior. One of the recent user mods for Blood got it running pretty smoothly actually, better than Duke 3D has at this point. Why do Build games run so bad these days, anyways?

I always loved the weapons and level design in Blood.

Dare I say Blood reminds me of Uninvited for NES a bit somehow?

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Will be interesting to see how much better this runs than the original game and BloodGDX