PSA Bugging the shit out of me: There is no steam controller 2, yet we're looking right at it.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Valve says steam deck is just a pc but they are drunk. It's also a comprehensive follow up to the steam controller. It is the steam controller 2. But with a pc in it.

Valve, please. Take the pc OUT, and give me the controller. I don't care what you do with the pc. Put it on eBay or something.

I am a huge fan of steam controller but jeez it's time for an upgrade. First off, mine is has something going on where the touch pad clicks and paddles are needing gradually more force to register. At this point, the trackpad clicks are totally unusable and the paddles are flaky.

VALVE. I will put a steamdeck through a bandsaw and sue you when I cut off my thumb I swear to God.

The trackpad clicks are no loss. That was never good. They take too much force, even when working correctly. They feel like the pop-o-matic bubble. And sound like it. It's called a tactile switch or a tactile dome. The shoulder buttons have tactile switches, too. That sound is not the silkiest. Am I right? Yes.

What it always needed was the trackpad on a low travel bladder with pressure sensitivity. As far as I can tell, that what steam controller 2 has in it.

It's also got a pc in it and now the controller is all stretched out. So is the price. $400 for a controller!?!?

Also, those trackpads ended up being much larger than necessary. Seemed about right at first, but after getting a lot of hours on the controller, they don't need to be that big. The ones on the sc2 look perfect.

I'm frustrated at how I'm looking right at steam controller 2 but it's called a "steamdeck". It's even worse not knowing if this controller will ever be made as a stand-alone.

If it was a forgone conclusion that it was eventually going to happen, I could chill out. I'm not really sure it's going to happen tho.

Maybe since there are replacement parts, people can make them? Idk. I'm desperate. Who else cares this much?

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
I was a big fan of the Steam Controller but I just can’t be arsed anymore with setting it up for every game and always double checking the controls since correct button prompts are almost never there. And as you say, the ergonomics are less than ideal. Playing management games and the like tends to wear out my thumb too.

I just use a DS4 with gyro these days if the game supports simultaneous controller and mouse input, otherwise pure controller or pure m/kb. But even so I get flickering UI and even some games that just won’t work correctly no matter what (RE7, Far Cry 5). And don’t even get me started on non-Steam games.

Would be cool to see a Steam Controller 2 of course but I don’t think I would buy it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I remember there were rumours about a small screen in the original steam controller and I always loved that idea and wanted it. I guess I got my wish with the deck and then some! But a small screen would still be nice.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I remember there were rumours about a small screen in the original steam controller and I always loved that idea and wanted it. I guess I got my wish with the deck and then some! But a small screen would still be nice.
Not rumour but, first mockups Valve showed did have screen (first protos had 4 buttons to simulate screen).

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I also really want a Steamdeck-layout SC2. I hope Valve can get to it at some point. Using any controller where I don't have a right touchpad for camera control and freely assignable back buttons feels like a step back.

That said, I got 2 Steam controllers when they were sold off, and one of them is still packaged up for when the other one breaks, so for now I'm good :p

OP
Crayon

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
That said, I got 2 Steam controllers when they were sold off, and one of them is still packaged up for when the other one breaks, so for now I'm good :p
Same here but I can't find the little bastard.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I've got my backup Steam Controller ready as well, but I also hope to see a revision before it's needed.

The Steam Deck's improvements look great, but I still want the track pads front-and-center.

OP
Crayon

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I'm optimistic about the new trackpads. I think the position will be good. Also the shape and size. Visually, it give the impression that they are being deemphasized, but I don't think that is neccesarily the case.

The high, horizontal alignment of the other controls is very smart even though many think it looks weird. Aligning them vertically like on the switch sucks. I've found that controls can be pushed way up into the corners of a controller and still work out.