|OT| Code Vein - Prepare To Spa

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018

Developer: Bandai Namco
Publisher: Bandai Namco Studios
Platforms: Steam , Playstation 4 , Xbox
Release: 27th September​

Story:

Code Vein takes place within a post-apocalyptic world. Amidst the worldwide destruction, a secret society known as “Vein” has risen from the ashes. This organization is mainly run by “Revenants,” immortal creatures who were once human that take on the properties of vampires. Since coming back from the brink of death, Revenants vie for survival by acquiring various “Gifts” of power. But in the process, their memories are wiped clean. Should any Revenant give in to their vampiric desires, he/she will transform into a mindless ghoul known as the “Lost.” As the main protagonist of the story, you set out with a number of allies as you try to recover your lost memories and discover the source of the world’s damaged state.

Praise The Spa:

Code Vein allows its characters to relax in the bathing waters at the spa in their base. By relaxing at the spa, players will recover half of the Haze that was dropped on their previous defeat,
letting them at least recover some if they deem it too risky to return to the place where it was dropped. Players can also use the spa to revisit past events and look up in-game terminology.

The Best Anime Creator:

Code Vein offers a very vast and pretty indepth chracter creation, can even do things like completey different looking eyes etc. theres a huge range of different things to choose from with people already creating 2b and skeletor for instance.

Give Me All Your Code's And Gifts:

Blood Codes and Gifts are going to form the backbone of your experience. The Gifts are all tied to your character’s Blood Code, which, in turn, is basically your character class. Mastering the Gifts associated with any Blood Codes allows you to change the latter, which means that Code Vein will allow you to change classes and the abilities associated with them on the fly. In theory, this should allow for deeper progression and more build diversity.

Blood Veil:
Blood Veils are your armour in Code Vein, but in an interesting twist, they also function as important weapons, in that they’re also linked to draining enemies and collecting blood. These moves also increase Ichor, which is needed to perform other techniques There are currently four different Blood Veils in the game

Stinger-Type:

Stinger is rather self-explanatory, and it’s basically a sting built on an extensible tail that can impale enemies and sap their blood in order to empower our character. Incidentally, it’s also the Blood Veil used by companion character Mia Karnstein.

Ogre-type:

Ogre is a Blood Veil that slashes at enemies with powerful claws, (which has a quick charge time and can hit multiple enemies with a forward dash),

Ivy Type:

which are multiple hitting Blood Veils (might hit the target multiple times or targets other enemies nearby). They morph from Revenant's scarf.

Hound Type:

Hounds is pretty self-explanatory, as it literally sends wolf heads to rip the enemies apart

Stay On Target:

The Focus mechanic (or stay on target) is an interesting risk-reward system that will come in particularly handy during combat, especially when you’re taking a beating. Finesse actions (such as dodging incoming attacks at the last moments) fill up your Focus Gauge, while Focus attacks themselves have increased attack power, and can even leave your enemies open to deadly Blood Veil attack. Do be careful though- your enemies also have Focus gauges of their own, so they won’t always behave in the most predictable ways.

This Is My Pole:

Code Vein will have five different weapon types for you to try out during combat. There’s one-handed swords, which have short range but fast attacks; two-handed swords, which have a longer reach and deal powerful attacks, but are a little slower; two-handed hammers, which are blunt weapons with decent range but slow attacks; spears, halberds, and polearms, which have log reach and can do AoE attacks; and bayonet rifles, which can do both melee and long-range attacks.

Anyone For A Threesome:

you’ll always be accompanied by an AI-controlled NPC. From giving you buffs to dealing damage to enemies to drawing aggro to even sharing HP, they’ll always be involved in combat and aid you in various ways. It remains to be seen how this will shift the balance of the game’s difficulty, but managing a secondary character in addition to your own should certainly add another layer of strategy.

you will also be able to call on the aid of another human player. By sending out a rescue signal, the game matches you with another player and summons them to your current location. Summoned players can only be called upon when exploring areas you haven’t already completed. In a very cool move, you’ll be able to fight alongside another human player and still have the power to utilize your AI-companion character. Teaming up with other players awards you with an item called a “Mark of Respect.” This unique currency type can then be used to purchase different character icons, titles, and more.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Nice OT, Queen. I learned a lot about this game from this thread. There seem to be too limited weapon of choice though, which is a shame.

This would be a perfect game to jump into right after I beat GreedFall, but I'll reserve my judgement until the reviews are out.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Amazing work on the OT again!
Can't wait for this!! 5 days to go!

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
Really nice OT. Well done!

Hope the game turns out great and looking forward to impressions 😀

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
This explains the game to me better than the game itself.
That’s the great thing with Queen’s ot’s. She does a heck of a job at explaining what you’re getting into with the game.

Which is what ot’s should be and not descriptions and images from the publishers/developers like some of eras ot’s. That does nothing to describe the game.

Reactions: uraizen and lashman
OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
This explains the game to me better than the game itself.
yea thats my aim with my ot so far, i really disliked the ot's on era and neogaf in the past because as nice as they may look they mostly feel like pr talk and never really show the game features or general gameplay infomation. alot of them even use press kit from devs which arent really gonna show of game either

Reactions: uraizen and lashman

Deleted member 113

GMG has keys now, just received my Deluxe Edition :on_kuro:
I got one myself.

But, I'm getting a bit worried.
The key activated as "Deluxe Edition", with no "pre-order" mention, and the GMG website doesn't list the pre-order bonuses any more.

Considering that for Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch, despite what was advertised, those who pre-ordered outside of Steam didn't get the pre-order wallpaper DLC, I'm getting worried about missing out on these bonuses. 😕

EDIT: Well, the mention of the pre-order bonuses are still on GMG in some languages.
Changing to English, the bonuses are again displayed.

Out of curiosity, for those who bought from other stores, did your keys activate as "Deluxe Edition", or "Deluxe Edition Pre-purchase"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MJunioR

Kuro

Dec 22, 2018
I got one myself.

But, I'm getting a bit worried.
The key activated as "Deluxe Edition", with no "pre-order" mention, and the GMG website doesn't list the pre-order bonuses any more.

Considering that for Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch, despite what was advertised, those who pre-ordered outside of Steam didn't get the pre-order wallpaper DLC, I'm getting worried about missing out on these bonuses. 😕
It shows pre-orders for me, hmm.
Pre-Purchase Offer

Pre-order now to receive the following bonuses:
  • GE Weapon Collaboration Set
  • Blood Veil Ogre
  • Accessory Set
When activating didn't say anything though.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

It shows pre-orders for me, hmm.
Changing the language on the website to English made the pre-order bonuses list appear again. :giggle:

It seems the bonuses are listed in some languages, but not in others.

Reactions: Kuro

Kuro

Dec 22, 2018
Changing the language on the website to English made the pre-order bonuses list appear again. :giggle:

Just letting you know, got brother the game from Voidu (Standard Edition with pre-order dlc) and when activating it didn't show anything about the DLC either so I just assume those will pop up once the game releases TOMORROW!?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have to finish The Surge before the 27th :dizzy-face:

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Kuro

this is just mean lol

CODE VEIN, the new vampiric Action RPG, will be released tomorrow! Are you ready to venture out into a world of destruction to fight the Lost and cure your bloodthirst?

On launch day, we're deploying patch 1.02, which includes the following:

PATCH 1.02 CONTENTS
  • Players will be able to increase difficulty in a New Game+ mode after clearing the game.

• In the New Game+ mode, players will be able to bring their gear from the previous run.

• Some bugs will be fixed.

Reactions: Kuro and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Fuck. For a game whose fights looked janky on video, I'm very hyped.
Now do I want the preorder bonus. Or am I reasonable.

For those that played the demo on console, how is the combat ?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Reactions: Li Kao

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
I think i might get this... maybe.

Where is the cheapest place to get the game currently ? Lowest i have seen is 39.99 usd.

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
i reccomend anyone on fence watch this quick 7 min review its a very good video

I'm still gonna blame you if I end up not liking it :cool:

Just letting you know, got brother the game from Voidu (Standard Edition with pre-order dlc) and when activating it didn't show anything about the DLC either so I just assume those will pop up once the game releases TOMORROW!?
In my experience pre-order DLC doesn't show in the DLC tab until the game actually unlocks.

Last edited:

Kuro

Dec 22, 2018
Runs very smoothly at 1440p all maxed on RTX 2070, anyone tried 4K?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I think i might get this... maybe.

Where is the cheapest place to get the game currently ? Lowest i have seen is 39.99 usd.
I got the deluxe edition (which comes with the season pass) for 47€ at instantgaming, which is the cheapest I found.
(Of course, that's only relevant if you know you want the season pass)

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
I got the deluxe edition (which comes with the season pass) for 47€ at instantgaming, which is the cheapest I found.
(Of course, that's only relevant if you know you want the season pass)
Yeah, it seems the deluxe edition especially is cheaper there, but they want a 1.44€ fee and ask for an identity check if you want to use Paypal. Guess i'll go with cdkeys.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Ok, the character creation in this game is incredibly silly in terms of the amount of stuff you can do. Seriously.

It's also pretty strangely "balanced" -- you get one integer for body type, but a zillion gazillion settings for things like hair and accessories.
They went completely ham on how anime you can make your character. (Honestly, I like it)

Believe it or not, that's somewhat restrained compared to what's possible.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Some observations on the PC port:
  • Basic UE4 settings as you would expect them.
  • Strangely, you can upsample using the default UE ini setting (sg.ResolutionQuality), but it's capped at 100 so you can't downsample with that.
  • No 21:9 support. (in fact, 21:9 resolutions by default cause an artifact on the left edge of the visible area), but you can hex edit the executable to get decent 21:9 (obviously the UI stays centered, and some fade-in/fade-out effects don't work correctly)
  • Performance seems decent enough -- it runs at 100 FPS (v-sync locked) at 3440x1440 for me with ~75% GPU usage, at maximum settings. Not great given my GPU but fine.
  • Keyboard/mouse controls don't seem terrible at first glance. Interestingly, the game has a keyboard layout setting. That's rare.
So all in all what you would expect from a decent-ish UE4 port. The only thing I don't get is why ResolutionQuality > 100 doesn't work. Did they explicitly cap it?

DeejayDoom

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
I'm having a big issue using a Dualshock 4. It's like the game only had 8 directions with the analog control, so every time i try to do a full motion or zig zag character starts to go crazy, like some kind of flickering, and it's driving me crazy.

I have everything fine on the Steam's controller configuration, don't know if i could touch something there to make it 360º analog control.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
My first attempt at a character. I went with a Grey/Silver and Sparkly theme with some neon ( since changed to pale blue not pink ) and a big hat. There was no choice, i had to have it. A little plain perhaps but i'm happy with the look for now and as usual for me when given the option her eye colours are reversed.

So far so good, i'm experimenting with the game's systems and have died a few times due to trying to figure out parry/block timing and combat options as this is not a genre i'm used to. Logged out at a Mistle with four levels worth of Haze i'm considering cashing in.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Good news: UE4 supersampling actually works in Code Vein, it just needs a bit of a workaround.

In the "Scalability.ini" file in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CodeVein\SavedConfig\WindowsNoEditor" you can do this:
Code:
[TextureQuality@3]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.ScreenPercentage=200
Those particular settings change, in order:
  • apply 16x AF texture filtering
  • disable chromatic aberration
  • downsample from 4x the size
(as a less performance intensive - but still expensive of course - option you can e.g. try "150" instead of "200",

It doesn't really improve AA all that much (UE TAA is good at killing aliasing), but it does improve the visible detail of the scene -- here it is with some slight additional NV driver level processing:

Interestingly all of that still runs at >60 FPS, though I prefer playing at 150 with 100 FPS.

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Good news: UE4 supersampling actually works in Code Vein, it just needs a bit of a workaround.

In the "Scalability.ini" file in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CodeVein\SavedConfig\WindowsNoEditor" you can do this:
Code:
[TextureQuality@3]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.ScreenPercentage=200
(as a less performance intensive - but still expensive of course - option you can e.g. try "150" instead of "200",

It doesn't really improve AA all that much (UE TAA is good at killing aliasing), but it does improve the visible detail of the scene -- here it is with some slight additional NV driver level processing:

Interestingly all of that still runs at >60 FPS, though I prefer playing at 150 with 100 FPS.
awesome i knew of the ca and af but was hunting for a downsample for ages haha

Kuro

Dec 22, 2018

Code:
[TextureQuality@3]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.ScreenPercentage=200
Awesome, I really wanted to downsample this game since my monitor is locked to 60hz anyway.
Looks like RTX 2070 can handle 4K just fine, hovering around 60-70fps, thank you.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I've been downsampling the game with DSR since the beginning. Is it different with the method above?
In addition to what Kuro said, the method above should be a bit better performance-wise, since passes that don't benefit from extra resolution run at native res. (While with DSR everything is supersampled) But this difference is likely minor.