PSA Dangerous Driving PC missing leaderboards feature due to EGS exclusivity

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
If you’re playing on a computer, the problems don’t end there. Dangerous Driving is currently an Epic Games Store exclusive title. This usually wouldn’t impact a review in any way, but the client’s lack of features makes this PC release strictly inferior to its console counterparts. Since the EGS currently doesn’t have achievement support, neither does Dangerous Driving. This is excusable, but the additional lack of online leaderboards is the real bummer. Not being able to compete with friends for bragging rights is killer in a single player experience all about speed. In a game this barebones, the lack of these features really stands out.
🤔

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
I mean having Spotify integration is kind of cool, but if it's your only option to have music in the game that blows.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I mean having Spotify integration is kind of cool, but if it's your only option to have music in the game that blows.
The assumption that the only app/service that people use is Spotify is a bit, well, yeah.

There's lots of services, and lots of different audio playback apps. Seems sad to hobble it to one service that isn't available to everyone.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
While it is glaring that EGS doesn't have any backend API for this, it's really a failure on the dev's part, imo. They knew what they were or weren't getting by going EGS exclusive. They should have planned to have their own leaderboard implementation done, or removed the feature from the pc release altogether.

EGS is a shitpile, but this one is on the devs

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Milena

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean yeah they could develop an in house solution and buy/rent and maintain their own leaderboard servers, but this does show there's value in what others want to claim is useless Steam features that jack up the fee for no gain. Sure, some could develop everything Steam does from scratch, but that would also take manpower and money, just like Unreal Engine is a good choice for an actual game engine so they don't spend the manpower and money to develop a lesser.

Reactions: lashman and Milena

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I mean yeah they could develop an in house solution and buy/rent and maintain their own leaderboard servers, but this does show there's value in what others want to claim is useless Steam features that jack up the fee for no gain. Sure, some could develop everything Steam does from scratch, but that would also take manpower and money, just like Unreal Engine is a good choice for an actual game engine so they don't spend the manpower and money to develop a lesser.
I'm not disputing any of that. Clearly this shows that Steam isn't 'just another launcher' because it simplifies the implementation of these sort of features for devs along side everything else it does.
I will still point the finger at these devs who half-assed it instead of cutting the feature altogether on pc when they had to know they couldn't replicate it for launch. Make it a post launch dlc or patch

Reactions: lashman