Community Digital Pinball |OT| - True Wizardry

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Welcome to the wonderful world of digital pinball!

So what options do I have when it comes to Pinball?

Now that they have the Williams/Bally and possibly the Stern licenses to male digital recreations of real world tables, FX3 is the master. Incredible recreations and a huge number of original tables largely based around licensed properties, Star Wars, Marvel other movies etc... While the quality of the real world tables are incredible some of the original tables aren't great and the once you play with the new physics system it can be jarring to go back to the arcadey physics of older tables.

Best tables - All of the Williams/Bally ones, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, Darth Vadar, Starfighter Assault
Bad tables - Archer, V12, E.T., the new Han Solo ones

They seem to be concentrating on the real world licenses atm and have almost finished recreating the non external DMD licensed stuff. Hopefully later this year they can start on tables like Terminator 2, Last Action Hero, Judge Dredd and the holy grail Indiana Jones.

To be honest, the game is pretty much in maintenance mode. They have lost all the licenses to the Williams and Bally tables and Stern seem to be following leaving them with only Gottlieb and some other small stuff. If you don't already own the the Williams/Bally tables, it's too late on steam at least. There may still be some Season 1 and 2 physical PS4 copies still around. Also while you can buy tables on Farsights site, don't under any circumstances. Buy them on Steam, the Farsight's account system is haphazard and barely functional most of the time.

There are still some fantastic licensed tables that may never be recreated by FX3.

The third of the big players, Zaccaria an Italian company from the 70s and 80s. Contains the original Zaccaria tables and both old school and modern styled remakes of all tables. A lot of the tables are quite similar in style, played one, played them all. But some are really quite unique, the Mexico '86 table for one. Heaps of tables for your buck and beautiful graphics. The physics are a little floaty but you get used to it.

Other Pinball games:

- Pro Pinball Ultra - Great simulation, abandoned? Not available for sale in Australia for reasons!

Pinball in other games, what are you crazy?

So how do I get better? Or how I learned to stop hitting at random and trust the Ball!

Important skills:

With just a few basic skills used to control and slow the ball, you can rack up big scores.

A few more advanced skills

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

Cool, we finally have a Digital Pinball thread. (y)

For the past few years my love of the genre came back big time (when I started playing Pinball Arcade), to a point where I own pretty much all games mentioned in the OP, and all their DLC tables (except the last 2 packs for Pinball FX 3, because I'm upset with the developers after something they pulled with another game of theirs, Operencia, and I promised myself I would only buy their future DLCs when they are heavily on sale) .

---

Since we now have a Pinball thread, might as well post this bit of news I posted in the monthly thread:

A heads-up, for digital pinball fans: FarSight Studios' rights to the AC/DC Pinball table will expire on June 30th, so it will be gone after that date.

The table is part of the Stern Pack 1 for Pinball Arcade, and they are having a last sale between now and the end of the month, for those who wish to get it.
For some strange reason, instead of giving it a 50% discount, they changed the price to half of the usual one, so despite not appearing as being on sale, the following pack is 50% off:

You can also buy the table for their other game, Stern Pinball Arcade, and if you buy the table in one of the games, you are supposed to get it in both (at least you were a while back; if things changed, I apologize).
The table is also on sale, despite, again, the developer changing the actual price, instead of applying a discount (wow, FarSight did some great digital pinball tables, but they are a disaster handling store listings, posting updates, and whatnot):

EDIT: About the "price change instead of a discount comment", FarSight has since explained that apparently Steam wouldn't allow them to mark the game as being on sale for more than 2 weeks, so in order to have the discounted price until the end of the month, they ended up just updating the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
FunktionJCB Completely forgot about the separate Stern game. Tables should be crossplay between the two but of course the Farsight accounts have trouble with it since they reconfigured the packages in Pinball Arcade when they lost the Williams/Bally license.

AC/DC is a good table, fantastic soundtrack.

Deleted member 113

bobnowhere You may want to add Momonga Pinball Adventures to the list of games that mix pinball with other genres:

The game is enjoyable, colourful, but sadly a bit short, and ends with a cliffhanger. :eek:

Deleted member 113

New Zaccaria Modern Remake Table.

I came here to post about this. ;)
And, as usual, if you own all the tables, you can simply "re-buy" the platinum pack, and get the new table for half the price. (y)

But, more than the table, they just updated the game, and it's a great, extensive update.
First of all, all menus were completely redesigned, and it just looks so much better. Very slick looking, easy to read and navigate.
Plus, plenty of bug fixes, and the tables I tried had improved loadings.
Everything just looks and plays better.

I like Zaccaria Pinball, but the game had a certain "amateurish" look to it, from the menus and UI, to other elements.
Things just look so much better now! I'm really impressed. :thumbsupblob:

OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I came here to post about this. ;)
And, as usual, if you own all the tables, you can simply "re-buy" the platinum pack, and get the new table for half the price. (y)

But, more than the table, they just updated the game, and it's a great, extensive update.
First of all, all menus were completely redesigned, and it just looks so much better. Very slick looking, easy to read and navigate.
Plus, plenty of bug fixes, and the tables I tried had improved loadings.
Everything just looks and plays better.

I like Zaccaria Pinball, but the game had a certain "amateurish" look to it, from the menus and UI, to other elements.
Things just look so much better now! I'm really impressed. :thumbsupblob:
Yep, the presentation looks fantastic now. I kind of forgive the menus up until now as it's still in early access. It can't be far from a full release now.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
May I add some of you to my friends list? I need some motivation to get back to Fx3 and most of my friends don't play digital Pinball...

... Too bad Ms. 'Splosion Man wasn't ported to Fx3, because my score was pretty good, unless I'm mistaken (I beat the whole table like 3 times).

Edit: to prevent adding people who don't want to be added, if you like my post I'll assume you want me to beat you at pinball. Extend your thumb at your own risk and peril.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

May I add some of you to my friends list? I need some motivation to get back to Fx3 and most of my friends don't play digital Pinball...

... Too bad Ms. 'Splosion Man wasn't ported to Fx3, because my score was pretty good, unless I'm mistaken (I beat the whole table like 3 times).

Edit: to prevent adding people who don't want to be added, if you like my post I'll assume you want me to beat you at pinball. Extend your thumb at your own risk and peril.
Feel free to add me. :)

But, 2 warnings:
-my scores in Pinball FX 3 suck, especially for the "non-classic" tables. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
-I haven't launched the game since they pulled that crap with Operencia (I was a beta tester for the game on Steam, and then, soon before launch, they decided to announce that 1 year exclusivity to the EGS store). But I play other pinball games.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Feel free to add me. :)

But, 2 warnings:
-my scores in Pinball FX 3 suck, especially for the "non-classic" tables. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
-I haven't launched the game since they pulled that crap with Operencia (I was a beta tester for the game on Steam, and then, soon before launch, they decided to announce that 1 year exclusivity to the EGS store). But I play other pinball games.
Thanks!

I was kidding you know. I played Fx2 quite a bit, but almost never played Fx3. I'm average-ish, when I actually spend some time on a table. bobnowhere is a monster, by the way... always ranked <200 on every single table.

I played TPA way more (and I'm better at it... since the nudge gives you insane control over the ball)... but the game itself is the jankiest thing I have in my library (and a masterclass in terribad UI design*). I don't even know if I've ever been able to see my friends' highscores.
I think it was you that talked about Zaccaria and the various improvements they made. I'm not totally convinced yet, though (at first glance the table design is... eh.).

Edit: anybody tried this launcher for TPA? Nukelauncher - Pinball FX2 & Pinball Arcade Command Line Launcher

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

I think it was you that talked about Zaccaria and the various improvements they made. I'm not totally convinced yet, though (at first glance the table design is... eh.).
Yeah, TPA is still, probably, my favourite pinball game on Steam, despite all the clunkiness and dated UI. For some reason, I always had a soft spot for the Who Dunnit table. :)

Regarding FX, most of their original tables really don't click with me. They did a great job with the first classic tables they released, and I spent quite a few hours on their leagues during that time, but like I mentioned after what they did with another of their games, I haven't played FX in a while.
I'll probably be back soon. ;)

As for Zaccaria, the first impressions are a bit strange, especially when you come from playing the Williams tables.
The Williams tables are a lot more complex than the Zaccaria tables (the Zaccaria brand was a bit of a "low budget" label, despite some quality tables).
But, some of the remake tables on Zaccaria are actually quite fun, and take a more modern approach to the design of the layout.
But, overall, the tables on Zaccaria are a lot less complex , no doubt about it.
It's a question of habit.
On the plus side, Zaccaria has a degree of customization that neither FX or TPA has, and you can tweak pretty much anything, from the physics, some cosmetics, (...).

Speaking of bobnowhere , "bob", I just realized you weren't on my friends list, so I sent you an invite. :highfiveblob:

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT
OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, TPA is still, probably, my favourite pinball game on Steam, despite all the clunkiness and dated UI. For some reason, I always had a soft spot for the Who Dunnit table. :)

Regarding FX, most of their original tables really don't click with me. They did a great job with the first classic tables they released, and I spent quite a few hours on their leagues during that time, but like I mentioned after what they did with another of their games, I haven't played FX in a while.
I'll probably be back soon. ;)

As for Zaccaria, the first impressions are a bit strange, especially when you come from playing the Williams tables.
The Williams tables are a lot more complex than the Zaccaria tables (the Zaccaria brand was a bit of a "low budget" label, despite some quality tables).
But, some of the remake tables on Zaccaria are actually quite fun, and take a more modern approach to the design of the layout.
But, overall, the tables on Zaccaria are a lot less complex , no doubt about it.
It's a question of habit.
On the plus side, Zaccaria has a degree of customization that neither FX or TPA has, and you can tweak pretty much anything, from the physics, some cosmetics, (...).

Speaking of bobnowhere , "bob", I just realized you weren't on my friends list, so I sent you an invite. :highfiveblob:
Good man, nearly all your best achievements are from Pinball!

I finally got around to trying the new Zaccaria interface, looks great but I'm getting a lot of flipper "pulls" not registering from my controller. Never had that issue in Zaccaria before. Might try the Steam controller to confirm but it was game destroying using the XBONE one.

Deleted member 113

Good man, nearly all your best achievements are from Pinball!
Yeah, but it's all crappy ones. :giggle:
It seems a lot of people add or install Pinball games, but never actually play them, considering the low percentage of some of these easy achievements.

I finally got around to trying the new Zaccaria interface, looks great but I'm getting a lot of flipper "pulls" not registering from my controller. Never had that issue in Zaccaria before. Might try the Steam controller to confirm but it was game destroying using the XBONE one.
Weird, I played a bit since the update with my Xbox 360 controller, and I didn't experience it.
Could it be something tied specifically to the Xbox One controller? :unsure:

You should post on the Zaccaria "bug reports" forums on steam, the team is usually very fast to fix whatever issues people encounter.

Deleted member 113

bobnowhere
As our resident pinball expert, may I ask you a question?

I noticed you own at least some tables of Malzbie's Pinball.

How's the game? Are the tables worth the small asking price?

And, outside of the "big 3" (Pinball Arcade/Stern Pinball Arcade, FX3, and Zaccaria), are there any of the smaller pinball games worth a buy?
I have some of them, but I probably haven't played most of them. :giggle:

Thanks (y)

OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
bobnowhere
As our resident pinball expert, may I ask you a question?

I noticed you own at least some tables of Malzbie's Pinball.

How's the game? Are the tables worth the small asking price?

And, outside of the "big 3" (Pinball Arcade/Stern Pinball Arcade, FX3, and Zaccaria), are there any of the smaller pinball games worth a buy?
I have some of them, but I probably haven't played most of them. :giggle:

Thanks (y)
It's the same model as FX3, the first table is free, so check it out. You know, it's not too bad. The graphics are basic but for what I think is a one-man band there is some pretty decent design, ambition and physics going on. I actually won a table yesterday in a tournament!

Check out the group Pinball Players for tournaments and a Cross game hall of fame that recently started to include Malzbie's.

Deleted member 113

It's the same model as FX3, the first table is free, so check it out. You know, it's not too bad. The graphics are basic but for what I think is a one-man band there is some pretty decent design, ambition and physics going on. I actually won a table yesterday in a tournament!
Thanks. (y)

I ended up buying the tables, and from what I played so far, it's actually a lot of fun.
The game has a bit of a clunky UI, and some dated graphics, but the actual gameplay, the feel of the ball, the physics, it's all very enjoyable.

For a one-man game, it really isn't all that removed, in terms of the actual gameplay, from the big games.

---
UPDATE:

Yeah, after trying all the Malzbie's Pinball tables, the game is surprisingly competent and fun, considering it's a one-man project.

It's well worth checking out.
The tables are inexpensive, so buying one won't blow a whole in your wallet.

If I had to recommend a single one, the latest (Time Flight) is probably a good starting point:

OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Yep, Time Flight is great, it's the one I won! I love the blimp and biplane you have to shoot down.

Farsight belatedly came to the sale party and have had Stern Pack 2 at 50% off since Friday.

I'll probably grab it now as I don't have Phantom, Mustang or Ghost Busters.

Make sure you check out Pinball Wicked as well, just a single table but the production values rival anything from Zen.

Physics are pretty good, graphics are demanding though and for some reason bang backs are ludicrously easy to perform.

Deleted member 113

Thanks for the heads-up, bobnowhere .
I'll probably buy Pinball Wicked before the sale is over. :)

By the way, is Pinball Deluxe: Reloaded worth the small asking price?

thanks

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I'm new to the pinball videogames world but I'm having a lot of fun with FX 3. What should I purchase with around 15 euros before the sale is over? I only own Williams Pack 1 and 2 for FX3. Pinball Wicked looks pretty great so I might grab that one. I have no interest in the FX3 licensed (Marvel, Star Wars etc.) boards.

So, what to buy?

Last edited:
Reactions: dummmyy

Deleted member 113

I'm new to the pinball videogames world but I'm having a lot of fun with FX 3. What should I purchase with around 15 euros before the sale is over? I only own Williams Pack 1 and 2 for FX3. Pinball Wicked looks pretty great so I might grab that one. I have no interest in the FX3 licensed (Marvel, Star Wars etc.) boards.

So, what to buy?
I'm a bit late with my reply (sorry), but here are some suggestions (from a guy who prefers "real" classic pinball tables, and not really a big fan of most of those digital licensed tables Zen Studios released for the FX games).

I'm listing packs for other pinball games that are worth a look, so you can hopefully give them a try;:

For Pinball Arcade:

For Zaccaria Pinball,, there's a cheap starter bundle:

You can try out most of the tables you don't own (with some limits) to see which ones you may like.
The remake tables (the DLCs that say 2016/2017/2018/2019) are very enjoyable.

I recently bought the tables for another game, Malzbie's Pinball Collection (which is pretty much a one man effort).
Despite not being as pretty as the big pinball games, some of the tables are a lot of fun.
A good starting point is this table, which is inexpensive, and a lot of fun:

If your budget permits, why don't you pick one of the Pinball Arcade packs (for example the Stern Pack 2, not because it's the best, but because it's the only one currently on sale), the Zaccaria Pinball Starter Pack, and the Time Flight table for Malzbie's Pinball Collection?
It fits your budget, and you are buying content for 3 different pinball games, so you can check what other pinball offerings you have available on Steam, outside of FX3.

Reactions: Eferis

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Real pinball machines are hard to find these days, but today I've visited an Arcade at the Belgian coast with several Stern machines, including Ghostbusters, Black Knight, The Munsters, Star Wars, Aerosmith and Deadpool.

The Munsters was my favorite, but Deadpool kept giving me extra balls and free replays so I've enjoyed that one as well. ;)

Deleted member 113

It's too bad FarSight Studios has pretty much stopped supporting their pinball releases.

I still find many of the tables of Pinball Arcade to be the most enjoyable digital pinball content I own.

I recently launched Stern Pinball Arcade for the first time, and I was simultaneously very impressed, and very disappointed.
I previously thought Stern Pinball Arcade was supposed to be an obsolete version of Pinball Arcade, but after trying it, I can see I was wrong.
At least on my PC, it looks awesome! I mean, the tables look much better than Pinball Arcade, or even any of the Pinball FX 3 tables. It's the prettiest digital pinball game I tried. Everything looks very "HD".

But, the game has some optimization issues, and the menus and UI are a complete disaster.
They are terrible. The menus are slow, difficult to see what you have selected, clunky. And in-game, the same thing. It's very hard to tell if I'm selecting to start a table, or going to the options (or quitting the table), unless I use a mouse.
I really don't understand how someone could have thought this was a great menu system. Again, you can barely see what's selected.

In terms of gameplay, it plays great. In many things, I still prefer Pinball Arcade to Pinball FX 3, and Stern Pinball Arcade takes much of the gameplay from Pinball Arcade, but better looking.

Again, it's very disappointing that FarSight Studios stopped updating their products.
If they sticked with Stern Pinball Arcade, overhauled their terrible menus (maybe to something simple, but clear, like the recent Zaccaria Pinball menus), and improved performance a bit, it would probably be my favourite digital pinball game around.

As it is, it's sadly an abandoned product (even the latest Stern tables were released for Pinball Arcade only), one that showed a lot of promise.

Reactions: OSatan and lashman

OSatan

OFather OSun
It's too bad FarSight Studios has pretty much stopped supporting their pinball releases.

I still find many of the tables of Pinball Arcade to be the most enjoyable digital pinball content I own.

I recently launched Stern Pinball Arcade for the first time, and I was simultaneously very impressed, and very disappointed.
I previously thought Stern Pinball Arcade was supposed to be an obsolete version of Pinball Arcade, but after trying it, I can see I was wrong.
At least on my PC, it looks awesome! I mean, the tables look much better than Pinball Arcade, or even any of the Pinball FX 3 tables. It's the prettiest digital pinball game I tried. Everything looks very "HD".

But, the game has some optimization issues, and the menus and UI are a complete disaster.
They are terrible. The menus are slow, difficult to see what you have selected, clunky. And in-game, the same thing. It's very hard to tell if I'm selecting to start a table, or going to the options (or quitting the table), unless I use a mouse.
I really don't understand how someone could have thought this was a great menu system. Again, you can barely see what's selected.

In terms of gameplay, it plays great. In many things, I still prefer Pinball Arcade to Pinball FX 3, and Stern Pinball Arcade takes much of the gameplay from Pinball Arcade, but better looking.

Again, it's very disappointing that FarSight Studios stopped updating their products.
If they sticked with Stern Pinball Arcade, overhauled their terrible menus (maybe to something simple, but clear, like the recent Zaccaria Pinball menus), and improved performance a bit, it would probably be my favourite digital pinball game around.

As it is, it's sadly an abandoned product (even the latest Stern tables were released for Pinball Arcade only), one that showed a lot of promise.
AC/DC was probably the best ta le available in steam a shame to see it gone now.

OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, the Stern app has always been weird. It's always looked much better than the Pinball Arcade version but like all things Farsight, it seems to have been abandoned.

Deleted member 113

If anyone is missing the Star Wars Pinball: Heroes Within table pack for Pinball FX3, here's a Steam key for it:

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Reactions: dummmyy

Deleted member 113

And now, for something different. :)
Nowadays there are simulators of everything and every job around. It seems now we are getting a simulation of... Pinball repairs. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Coming soon:

OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
And now, for something different. :)
Nowadays there are simulators of everything and every job around. It seems now we are getting a simulation of... Pinball repairs. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Coming soon:

There's a job simulator for everything these days!

They added more games to the GMG/intel thing including two more Star Wars Pinball packs. The interesting thing is your old code should be able to access everything now, I got steam keys for everything, well beyond the four limit.

OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Opinions on Peach ball from pinball players?

Just saw this existed and damn...

Someone in a pinball discord I'm in said it seems like they took more time in getting the boob physics right rather than the pinball physics. Make of that what you will!

:steam_pig_shocked:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm in Holland at the moment, and I've discovered a collection of classic pinball machines in perfect condition, including The Adams Family, Fun House, Indiana Jones and Terminator 2. I've only played most of these machines in Farsight's Pinball Arcade, so it was a great experience to play them irl! 😍

Deleted member 113

Things have been really quiet in terms of Digital Pinball (except for the monthly remake table from Zaccaria Pinball).

Has there been any recent news about new tables/DLCs coming out for the usual games?
Any new "challenger" pinball game in the works?

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
There's a hack&slash pinball game since this week, but I guess that's not what you meant ☺

I guess Zen is working on new Williams packs? I bought the first two packs, but lost interest when Zen went all-in with Epic for their other games.

Zaccaria is OK, but I only own old EM tables with limited rule sets and features. I can only play these tables for a few minutes before getting tired of them.

So when I'm in the mood for pinball, I just launch Pinball Arcade 😉

Deleted member 113

Earlier today, I noticed I hadn't tried the SS table Soccer Kings on Zaccaria Pinball.
I had a lot of fun with it. Really fun table. Simple, fast, and with an interesting take on Football (Soccer for our American Meta members).

Here's some gameplay of that table (taken from an earlier version of Zaccaria Pinball; the game looks and plays better now):

And here's a look at the original physical table:

Speaking of Zaccaria Pinball, those who are yet to try the game recently should really give it a go.
The game has come a long way, and the developers have done a great job updating it, changing pretty much everything, from the UI, some physics tweaks, customization options, you name it.

When I bought the game, it felt a bit "cheap" compared to the big offerings, and lacking in polish.
No more. The game now feels "right", and close to what physical pinball is, and it offers a degree of customization you won't find in Pinball FX 3 or Pinball Arcade.

If you don't like anything, you can always tweak the game to your liking.
Yeah, the game allows you to tweak gameplay and physics, and things like ball behaviour, and more, on top of UI/backgrounds/lightning customization.

Here's a video that shows some of the updates made:

OP
bobnowhere

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

Creature from the Black Lagoon and Monster Bash (Monsters of Rock) on October 29th. No idea of the cost but the properties are licensed to Universal Studios so might be extra per table. All the others so far have been Williams/Bally alone.

Deleted member 113

bobnowhere Creature from the Black Lagoon is a personal favourite. ;)

For those unfamiliar with the table, it's less a table about the actual classic Universal Horror film, and more about the classic drive-in experience, in this case the character is attending a drive-in showing of Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Really enjoyable table.

I know pinball is mostly about chasing scores, but I enjoy playing tables that feature some sort of narrative, or some sort of events that you feel like your actions have some impact on, and this is one of those tables. :)

Who Dunnit is another one.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

Creature from the Black Lagoon and Monster Bash (Monsters of Rock) on October 29th. No idea of the cost but the properties are licensed to Universal Studios so might be extra per table. All the others so far have been Williams/Bally alone.
These are two of my favorite tables!

Still not in the mood to give Zen my money after their exclusivity deals with Epic tho. I own both tables on PBA anyway.