News Discord is making changes to how it sells games

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

We’ve learned that devs want to avoid the friction and cost of a traditional storefront by selling directly to their community. So, you can now create a store channel within your server where anyone can get your game.
With game commerce shifting to communities, we’ve decided to replace the store tab with our Nitro games catalogue. For players, finding and buying games now happens through servers. Your library remains untouched by these changes.
This is interesting, but it just sounds like a terrible way to buy a game.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
so ... basically a humble widget with a built-in chat ... i guess?

still - interesting

i wonder if they'll eventually let devs sell steam/gog/egs keys as well

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I mean that's probably better than a gigantic storefront that no one cares about or barely knows that it exists.

Even with discord open basically open every day, every time I open discord and go to my friends list (Every other day to message someone) I would go "Oh huh they have a store"
The downside being that it excludes people just browsing through to find a game at random.
Also discord in general sucks because of their potential DRM solution for all games (In my opinion)

It lets them put in always online DRM in the form of requiring discord to be on if the dev implements that into their game

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I was going to say does that mean that the only way to find a game on Discord is to be in the game's community or have i got it wrong?
I like to just browse stuff, that's gone now? I mean i keep thinking i should try Discord but never have as i thought it was voicemail only for the longest time, then i thought it was just like IRC but now... no idea. lol.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
This is probably a better idea than a store that's not front and center and I literally forget exists for weeks at a time.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm not sure I understand. How am I supposed to discover these games if they are in separate channels?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm not sure I understand. How am I supposed to discover these games if they are in separate channels?
you aren't

well, not the way you think, at least ... they DO have a server list now ... and since all of those will have to be verified servers - they will be in that list

Reactions: Ge0force

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I use discord every single day, and yet I cannot figure out how to get to the store. The only official game channels I use are for R6 Siege and a phone game lol. This doesn't really do anything, does it? Like you'd have to be actively following a games community to even get to and be a part of it's server right?

It's uh, whatever I guess. I definitely can't be arsed to use the Discord store if I can't even find it. And I don't follow game communities that much. As long they don't start throwing money bags around like Epic... whatever. o_O

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I use discord every single day, and yet I cannot figure out how to get to the store. The only official game channels I use are for R6 Siege and a phone game lol. This doesn't really do anything, does it? Like you'd have to be actively following a games community to even get to and be a part of it's server right?

It's uh, whatever I guess. I definitely can't be arsed to use the Discord store if I can't even find it. And I don't follow game communities that much. As long they don't start throwing money bags around like Epic... whatever. o_O
you can't find it right now because it's not there anymore :p they already made those changes