Opinion Do you play games with achievement notifications on or off?

Achievement notifications?

• I leave them on.

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • I turn them off.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
I like the idea of achievements in a formal sense because they provide interesting data and also give people a way to roadmap game completion. But I'm really not personally fond of the default behavior of achievements on most platforms you get an icon in the corner of the screen telling you that you've gotten an achievement.

Sometimes you've got this really banal message showing up in the middle of a dramatic scene. Sometimes the achievements message ruin a twist right as it is happening. Fortunately platforms such as Steam let you completely hide notifications, but I imagine a lot of people just leave them on because that's the default.

What about you? Do you dislike the popups (and on console platforms, accompanying sound effects) or do you find them enjoyable? A satisfying notification that you're making progress through the game, or that you've overcome some kind of challenge? For example, solving a complex puzzle might be more enjoyable if the game gives you a nice little notification in the corner with a witty pun or something.

Reactions: Englebert3rd

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yup, same ... always on ... i like seeing my progress through the game (even if achievements are ultimately meaningless on PC)

Reactions: MJunioR

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
I always turn them off. I'm not someone who 100% every game so it's kinda annoying seeing achievements for games that I immerse myself into. If there's a game I really like, then I'll turn on achievements and go for the whole thing.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Most of the times the achievements aren't intrusive so I don't mind them. What's more intrusive are the group and friend notifications when they go online. So I have disabled the friend notifications. Not sure if I can do the same with group notifications

Reactions: MJunioR and Milena

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I disable most notifications if they start to bother me, so far i leave achievements on but i may as well turn them off for all the attention i pay them while playing.

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
Somewhat related to this:

I think I play games a bit differently with trophies/achievements generally existing than I do otherwise. I'm not sure if notifications would change that. For me, if I don't grab a trophy here or a trophy there I feel like I'm missing out on a bit of the game and therefore I cater my playing to those trophies. Without achievements/trophies, though, I think I feel a bit easier about just relaxing, exploring, and having a good time.

Am I alone in this?

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
The sense of progress trophies/achievements give is impeccable. One of the minor downsides to PC gaming, at 4K or even 1440p the Steam overlay notification for achievement is so easy to miss, wish they would do more with them.

Reactions: MJunioR