Community Earthquake Thread: Y'all got earthquakes?

Xiaomi

The Texas Hammer
May 12, 2019
Taiwan
Been having a more active seismic year here in Taiwan so far. One about 6 weeks ago in April got up to 6.1 and sent a mild hula-hooping motion down to me for about a minute (felt it at a magnitude of 3). Friday night just before midnight we had one that felt like someone was kicking my bed, another magnitude 3 for me but a 4.6 at the epicenter. Just a few minutes ago a 5.6 happened to the east, again hitting me at a magnitude 3. Been a shaky spring so far; I normally only feel 3-5 quakes in a given year, not within a month and a half. How about you guys?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
damn ... stay safe!!! :(

as for me - nope, we don't have any here in this dump (thankfully)

Reactions: Xiaomi

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Italy is a pretty seismic country along the Apennine mountains but we're pretty safe here in Southern Italy (probably the only decent thing about this place) even if we had a pretty strong one (for our standards, 4.0 magnitude) a few weeks ago and it was a scare. Other places in Italy (mainly in the regions of Molise, Abruzzo, Marche and Umbria) have it way worse, with a lot of destruction and victims and many little towns literally crumbling to dust relatively often, especially because many of them have plenty of historical and ancient buildings.

OP
Xiaomi

Xiaomi

The Texas Hammer
May 12, 2019
Taiwan
Italy is a pretty seismic country along the Apennine mountains but we're pretty safe here in Southern Italy (probably the only decent thing about this place) even if we had a pretty strong one (for our standards, 4.0 magnitude) a few weeks ago and it was a scare. Other places in Italy (mainly in the regions of Molise, Abruzzo, Marche and Umbria) have it way worse, with a lot of destruction and victims and many little towns literally crumbling to dust relatively often, especially because many of them have plenty of historical and ancient buildings.
Yeah a 4.0 can be pretty scary because you can't really tell if it's something that's going to be over soon or if it's about to get much worse. My students, though, can feel a 3 or a 4 and shrug it off. Maybe someone will say "oh, there's an earthquake," but to them it's about as remarkable as an interesting car driving by.

Worst I've been in was a 5 back in 2017 that tipped a few buildings in Tainan just to the north of me at like 3 am. Felt like my apartment was in the back of a truck that was driving down a staircase; it made the lights flicker pretty dramatically and sounded pretty terrifying despite being significantly reduced in power by the time it hit me.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
I haven't personally experienced one in The Netherlands, but further up north in Groningen there have been quite a few thanks to gas extraction.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
California here so yes. half the time i dont even feel them but we havent really had many big ones for a long time.