News Epic Games Store

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It was 1 year after ea release for Ooblets. According to reviews, it's like a worse Stardew Valley with charming art atyle.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
IIRC, there was a document from the Apple trial that said the exclusivity period for Ooblets would be 2 years or one year after 1.0 release, whichever is longer. The Steam version won't come out until next year, if it ever comes out.

Also Epic helped them draft that dumb blog post. Tim Sweeney's "IT WAS AWESOME" tweet was the cherry on top of that train wreck.
I had missed the part where it was a 2 year exclusive. What through me is they responded to a tweet asking about steam that effectively implied they had chosen to focus on launch platforms before anything else and would consider Steam shortly after. But the above makes sense now.

Reactions: Arc

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Ooblets will just end up in the EGS marketing black hole anyways. I didn't even know it released.
I thought it came out last year, so to learn it just dropped on EGS is... well, not shocking in 2022 really..
They should have dropped in the market when they were pissing all their goodwill away to ride on the controversy wave. At this point, no one gives a shit about it on PC and we should all be fine with that.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
A million dollars (number chosen at random I don't know the real deal) may seem a lot, but making games cost money, living costs money, wages costs money, and most of all making games takes time and more time means more money needed. It's why real success requires a constant influx of money (through WoM, sales, dlcs, new platform releases) not just a day one paycheck or day one big sales followed by an eternal slump
It's even worse with the EGS guaranteed since until Epic recoups the investment you will literally never see another cent unless you also have a console release. Don't let marketing or buzzword distract you from this reality: there is a reason IOI tried selling Hitman 3 at full price on Steam despite getting money from Epic, Sony and Apple too followed by a "great" console launch, and that reason is the Bond game requires a lot of money and 2025 is still very far away
If you need the money feel free to take the deal, but think about these words and never forget: money is never enough in this world

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Their game wouldn't have set the world on fire if it released on Steam too. They probably survived another year that they wouldn't have otherwise by taking the Epic deal. I really have no beef with small devs taking deals any more, especially since the EGS releases are usually nothing but glorified beta tests.

Also the most played list was updated and appears to actually be correct now. You can tell it's accurate since Fortnite is the most popular game. :smart-thinking-blob: What's most interesting is that Rocket League is #2 and we can kind of get the CCUs for that game via a website that tracks the population with the API. Rocket League had a new season launch today and peaked at about 400k CCUs across all platforms combined (consoles, Steam and EGS). The EGS version is typically between 21% and 23% of the total playerbase which means the #2 game on EGS should be between 84k and 92k CCUs. So everything below Rocket League is at or below that number. Just as an example: Fall Guys went from about 350k CCUs at EGS F2P launch to sub 92k.

There's also a new list for the most wishlisted games and top reviewed games which doesn't appear to exactly match the Github page.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I have 11 Steam reviews out of the 2k+ titles I own on Steam. I know I am far from alone on that low of reviews to game ratio.

If all I had to do was give a thumbs up or down with no text, and let alone anonymously, my number of reviews would skyrocket, though I also think the quality of my reviews would plummet (granted, they are bad already :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:)

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Thats so stupid, their game is already at a low player base, why would they want to go even lower with this move?
It seems they needed to drop EA's tech as EA is no longer the publisher. Afaik, Epic is the only one providing a multiplatform login system and online play backend for free.

While I don't like Epic gaining more accounts and more control of (PC) gaming, this move actually makes sense for this game. I still wonder why so many singleplayer games on Steam started using EOS as well. There's something fishy about this...

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It seems they needed to drop EA's tech as EA is no longer the publisher. Afaik, Epic is the only one providing a multiplatform login system and online play backend for free.

While I don't like Epic gaining more accounts and more control of (PC) gaming, this move actually makes sense for this game. I still wonder why so many singleplayer games on Steam started using EOS as well. There's something fishy about this...
For EOS in single player games, I think it's because it's simpler for devs to maintain one build across all stores. Just using Disco Elysium as an example, SteamDB shows it has Steamworks, EOS and GOG Galaxy files in the Steam version. I'm not really knowledgeable on that topic though so I could be wrong.

Reactions: Ge0force

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Will be interesting to see which publishers make their games non-refundable. Instant shit list for me because who knows what other shit they might pull.

Also, EGS continues to prove it’s a curse.

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
Probably is a feature in the roadmap, they are working on it
There isn't really a nice way to give the news, so I'll just say it:

I've been informed today on another italian forum we both followed for years that Meschio passed away after years of struggling against a terminal illness.

Rest in peace, Meschio.
And condolences to his family.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

I've been informed today on another italian forum we both followed for years that Meschio passed away after years of struggling against a terminal illness.

Rest in peace, Meschio.
WHAAAAAAAT? oh jeez, horrible news.

My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace :_(

It's always hard to read something like this.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020

Rest in peace, Meschio.
That is absolutely horrible news...

I am wishing his family the best. Let us know if you hear anymore news, but thank you for this update.
___
We should probably get pinged over in the Steam thread just so others see it, some folks may have this thread on ignore.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
To put it simply, going all those years without proper marketing and then going all out at TGS sure is something for Valve.

So far it seems that people have a positive outlook on the device (how ever you do have the issue of price, other wise it would be a lot easier of a sell)

Yesterday and "today" will both be busy but Saturday and Sunday will be even busier when it open to the public.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Rest in peace, Meschio.
Rest in peace Meschio :(

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I have 11 Steam reviews out of the 2k+ titles I own on Steam. I know I am far from alone on that low of reviews to game ratio.

If all I had to do was give a thumbs up or down with no text, and let alone anonymously, my number of reviews would skyrocket, though I also think the quality of my reviews would plummet (granted, they are bad already :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:)
You don't really have to enter any text. Some of my steam reviews just contain my rating (like "7/10").

Isn't "Do your own research" the classic alt-right, anti-vax saying?
That's a dumb statement/question

Reactions: ExistentialThought