News Epic Games Store

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
If you want some news, EGS updated their best sellers list for the first time in over a month. There's nothing especially noteworthy, but Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 is in 11th place and Kingdom Hearts 3 is in 13th place, so I guess some people are buying them.
WOAH, THEY UPDATED IT? AT FUCKING LAST, it has been static since Hitman 3 release, although still irrelevant because data that has been static for almos 1 month and a half, well, it's not even worth it.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So Crayta is releasing/released today on EGS going from 1 exclusive store (Stadia) to another exclusive store (EGS) and nobody seems to care, lol.

I tried it on Stadia (it's free on Stadia and EGS, but has some premium stuff) long time ago. Don't ask me how it is. I don't know, I played for about 30 min and then stopped caring.

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: prudis and lashman

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
If you want some news, EGS updated their best sellers list for the first time in over a month. There's nothing especially noteworthy, but Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 is in 11th place and Kingdom Hearts 3 is in 13th place, so I guess some people are buying them.
Wow that's some pretty low spots for such a major series that's never been on the PC before. Seeing as how it's the EGS its probably not a lot of copies. Maybe below 10k each?

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Wow that's some pretty low spots for such a major series that's never been on the PC before. Seeing as how it's the EGS its probably not a lot of copies. Maybe below 10k each?
to be fair, commodore, while it is most likely low number, there's no real way of telling, not even in terms of internal scale, some of us tried and nothing :(

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
to be fair, commodore, while it is most likely low number, there's no real way of telling, not even in terms of internal scale, some of us tried and nothing :(
Oh I know, I was just sort of thinking aloud that based on the amount of revenue we know the EGS has made over the past few years and how low on the charts those games are that can't be a very high number of copies sold.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Oh I know, I was just sort of thinking aloud that based on the amount of revenue we know the EGS has made over the past few years and how low on the charts those games are that can't be a very high number of copies sold.
Well, the other thing is that they are also sorted manually so, there's also no real indication of anything belonging to any position of the chart, if you pay attention, it doesn't follow any other top chart of any other platform, you know?

We will see but I don't think KH will be an stellar release but I don't think it will bomb THAT hard, probably 100-200k within the first year.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The huge succes of Forza Horizon 4 also shows that lots of people are willing to buy overpriced games. I'm starting to worry what this will mean for future releases. Every dev and publisher that used to charge reasonable prices for their games must be scratching their head right now.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The huge succes of Forza Horizon 4 also shows that lots of people are willing to buy overpriced games. I'm starting to worry what this will mean for future releases. Every dev and publisher that used to charge reasonable prices for their games must be scratching their head right now.
eh, Valheim, Among Us, Phasmophobia, and loop hero devs don't scratch their heads. Likely all of them sold more than Forza, and most of them probably made more money than forza.

But the trend is worrying, yes. I posted a comment in the steam thread about console peeps celebrating the biggest console sales ever, while 2020 was the worst year in unit sales in 3 decades, a steady decline since 2008. This means that a single customer is getting milked more and more, instead of trying to expand the userbase.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
eh, Valheim, Among Us, Phasmophobia, and loop hero devs don't scratch their heads. Likely all of them sold more than Forza, and most of them probably made more money than forza.
Agreed, but these are small indie games. Dirt 5 and Dirt Rally 2 released at €54.99 on Steam for example, and you could buy them even cheaper in 3rd party keystores. That's a lot more generous than Microsofts €70 for a 3 years old racing game.

I really wish that Microsoft brings game pass to Steam, or start releasing Windows Store games as classic win32 programs instead of using the terrible and bugged eappx container. The success of game pass in it's current state and overpriced games on Steam makes this unlikely to happen sadly.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The success of game pass in it's current state and overpriced games on Steam makes this unlikely to happen sadly.
This doesn't make much sense to me.

The game is priced the same on Windows Store and Windows Store has game pass.

MS main goal is to sell game pass subs, letting people buy games on Steam and Windows Store is just another option.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This doesn't make much sense to me.

The game is priced the same on Windows Store and Windows Store has game pass.

MS main goal is to sell game pass subs, letting people buy games on Steam and Windows Store is just another option.
Agreed. What I meant is that Microsoft probably won't bother to move away from using eappx containers for their game pass games, because the majority of pc gamers seems to accept it "because game pass is such a great deal".

The €70 pricetag is probably a direct consequence of Play Anywhere, which forces Microsoft to charge the same price on the Windows Store and console. Digital AAA games are €70 on console since the x360/Ps3 generation for some reason. Retail console games on disc are €59.99 in many stores, which makes it even more ridiculous. And the Steam version doesn't have Play Anywhere at all.

Reactions: Swenhir

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I was browsing through the 100 top selling games on Humble, when I noticed that only 1 (one!) game was for EGS (Godfall). Everything else was Steam, GoG or Battle.net. Nice to see how EGS is becoming another Origin that people only use for exclusives and free games. :)

Reactions: Alexandros

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I decided to ignore various publishers and developers on Steam that'd pissed customers about with Epic store shenanigans. My Steam top sellers chart now looks like this...
Outer Worlds was also EGS exclusive (plus gamepass where I played it, but still - they took Epic's money)

Though personally I am over the EGS boycott. It will never be my primary platform, but I did buy couple games there - with the EGS coupon so Epic actually lost money on the purchase.

• Sad
Reactions: Ge0force

Mudface

Apr 18, 2019
Outer Worlds was also EGS exclusive (plus gamepass where I played it, but still - they took Epic's money)

Though personally I am over the EGS boycott. It will never be my primary platform, but I did buy couple games there - with the EGS coupon so Epic actually lost money on the purchase.
Yeah, it was more the publishers/ devs that'd drummed up interest on Steam first, then dodged over to EGS- I don't think Obsidian did that.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
I decided to ignore various publishers and developers on Steam that'd pissed customers about with Epic store shenanigans. My Steam top sellers chart now looks like this...
For me it's Devolver Digital that had the most effect on my ignore list; this is surprisingly a good way to keep my library compact.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
For me it's Devolver Digital that had the most effect on my ignore list; this is surprisingly a good way to keep my library compact.
I don't exactly remember what game it was, but didn't Devolver claim that it was the decision of the developer to go EGS exclusive and not theirs? I've blacklisted a few devs and publishers like Deep Silver, Snapshot, Private Division and Saber for doing scummy EGS deals, but not Devolver for a reason I forgot. ;)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I don't exactly remember what game it was, but didn't Devolver claim that it was the decision of the developer to go EGS exclusive and not theirs? I've blacklisted a few devs and publishers like Deep Silver, Snapshot, Private Division and Saber for doing scummy EGS deals, but not Devolver for a reason I forgot. ;)
Observation or Sludge Life ... they only did those 2 (if you don't count Good Shepherd stuff)

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Devolver Digital also did some very dismissive PR during their initial announcement of Epic exclusive years ago, which is clear no go for me. I won't always fault developers over going Epic exclusive but not when the manner they do so clearly reveals that they're unwilling to address (and instead mocks) legitimate concerns from consumer.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Devolver Digital also did some very dismissive PR during their initial announcement of Epic exclusive years ago, which is clear no go for me. I won't always fault developers over going Epic exclusive but not when the manner they do so clearly reveals that they're unwilling to address (and instead mocks) legitimate concerns from consumer.
I wasn't happy with Devolver either, despite being a big fan of them for a long time. I still buy their games on Steam and justify it by telling myself that it's helping show that games make a lot of sales on Steam. We just can't win, really.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This. They were flippant about it and tried to do the usual gaslighting about exclusivity. I can live without their games without much issues and I find no small amount of shadenfreude to their "return", probably one year later.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This has happened a few times. I wonder if they just forget about the EGS, or if Epic realises the game is a big deal after the reveal, and a "simship" deal is hashed out quickly and their logo slapped in a few days later (like what obviously happened with Jedi: Fallen Order after Sweeney's salty tweets about the Steam version).

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
  • Toucan
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
It has also happened many times with games releasing on Steam and EGS the same time where the devs or pub don't even bother to advertise the EGS version on their social media accounts.
Maybe they are trying to get Epic to pay them for promotion?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Maybe they are trying to get Epic to pay them for promotion?
Maybe or the devs/pubs don't really care about the EGS version they just put out it there "just because". I think the amount of promotion Steam does itself for games is much more important than EGS revenue cut or whatever EGS does for games.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Maybe or the devs/pubs don't really care about the EGS version they just out it there "just because". I think the amount of promotion Steam does itself for games is much more important than EGS revenue cut or whatever EGS does for games.
I get that, but it seems trivial to mention in a tweet that your game is also available on EGS. It would be deliciously funny if the mere mention of EGS is considered bad publicity by devs :evilblob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Still gone for me. The fact that playtime could suddenly vanish like that and who knows how long it takes to get it back is terrifying. It's a small feature, but I love it. There's a reason people loved the 3DS activity log, but hate the system on Switch. PS5 bas playtime, but it's apparently quite unreliable and buggy.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
We all knew the client was a resource hog. No surprises here.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Enhance acts like EGS doesn't exist too (there's a buy button on the site, possibly because it was only available there for PC earlier on). It's still not on Steam...

• Toucan