News Epic Games Store

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It's just business. Make money now, keep shareholders happy, get bonus, rinse and repeat and then in a few years when you leave or are pushed out for not making enough money for the shareholders/investors then you get a big cash bonus.

I've said it before and for all their problems i'm glad Valve haven't gone public. I think it'd carry along for a few years under it's own momentum and then die on it's arse as it became just another shareholder placation scheme.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
It's just business. Make money now, keep shareholders happy, get bonus, rinse and repeat and then in a few years when you leave or are pushed out for not making enough money for the shareholders/investors then you get a big cash bonus.

I've said it before and for all their problems i'm glad Valve haven't gone public. I think it'd carry along for a few years under it's own momentum and then die on it's arse as it became just another shareholder placation scheme.
It would likely have Steam split off into its own separate corporation or sister corp under a 'valve umbrella'. with one company working on steam, one working on game dev (and hardware likely a third branch)

I feel like they prioritized the wrong things since there are a lot of blue circles next to security related issues

• This!
Reactions: sk2k and lashman

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
It seems like next week freebies will include
"Plague Tale: Innocence"
I wonder if this means it will be part of next Choice as well.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
lashman Ge0force why the negativity emojis to the EOS crossplay thing?
Cannot speak for them, but personally I am still leery they will flip the switch and require Epic accounts for EOS features. I am also leery as I recall there were slides from the Apple trial indicating player data was kept from devs on Steam with Epic looking into options.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Cannot speak for them, but personally I am still leery they will flip the switch and require Epic accounts for EOS features. I am also leery as I recall there were slides from the Apple trial indicating player data was kept from devs on Steam with Epic looking into options.
I would also like to add that tying a game to Fortnite is not a good idea, we saw time and time again, everytime Fortnite hosts an event, EOS and EGS craps the bed.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Epic is run by Tim Sweeney who consistently shows his hypocritical ass on Twitter.
I have zero trust in their long term reliabilty and their business strategy goes against my personal interests as a customer (exclusives, buying up all the engine Middleware, stupid lawsuits, weaponizing children, "the Metaverse",...), so every service they're peddling immediately gets the side-eye from me because I can not be sure about it's long-term reliability or whether they're intending to use it as a Trojan horse for peddling some of their other interests (that I don't agree with).

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Epic is run by Tim Sweeney who consistently shows his hypocritical ass on Twitter.
I have zero trust in their long term reliabilty and their business strategy goes against my personal interests as a customer (exclusives, buying up all the engine Middleware, stupid lawsuits, weaponizing children, "the Metaverse",...), so every service they're peddling immediately gets the side-eye from me because I can not be sure about it's long-term reliability or whether they're intending to use it as a Trojan horse for peddling some of their other interests (that I don't agree with).
Yep. When someone asks about "competition" I always raise the issue of trust. I trust Valve because it's a company that has a multi-year history of providing good service to customers and a vested interest to improve and push PC gaming. I trust Epic, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take Two and other publishers about as far as I can throw them.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
All of the above. Plus it's unclear what Epic's long term goal is with this "free" service. EOS is already sending huge amounts of data to Epic's servers, and it's not unthinkable that Epic will abuse it to enforce EGS. I don't trust Epic so I rather see them as far away from my favorite gaming platform as possible.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
I respect Valve for being there from the beginning and never leaving. Most companies either ignored or ditched PCs in favor of consoles. Now that there's been a resurgence in PC gaming (thanks to Valve and others who stayed behind), a lot companies have come crawling back with their own storefronts to profit off something they never gave a shit about.

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yep. When someone asks about "competition" I always raise the issue of trust. I trust Valve because it's a company that has a multi-year history of providing good service to customers and a vested interest to improve and push PC gaming. I trust Epic, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take Two and other publishers about as far as I can throw them.
On the PC side anyway. Their support outside of it, is lessthan stellar.

Reactions: lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
When it comes to any other store than Steam (EGS, Game Pass, etc.), devs are like: "you would have to pay me to update the game to the latest version, or to support your store features".

For instance:

wait, the GP version of ascent doesnt have dlss but steam does?

Or:
Maybe these devs are really perfectionist about it. If true, props to them, but that was not the case of some of the devs whom I quoted the other day.

It tells a lot about what Valve has managed to achieve with their automated tools to publish builds, post news, support cloud saves, achievements, trading cards, etc. Some devs consider that it is additional work which is not worth their time, but they accept to do it for Steam free of charge, because of the large audience (maybe) and because the process has been made easy (most likely).

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
He's had a case of foot in mouth ever since that thing in Thailand. I'm sad that he's lost the plot so much.

• This!
Reactions: ISee

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

Apparently you need a certain number of Twitter (or social media in general?) followers to be able to publish on EGS? I'm not sure if I'm reading this wrong, but that's pretty weird.
If you don't have any Twitter followers you must've made a crappy game, didn't you know?

I'm sure they've found some bizarre correlation in their data that tells them something about Twitter followers and a game's quality or something, but they're not smart enough to draw a proper conclusion from it.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Well, given the quality of several of their exclusive games, it's clear no one there ever actually played any of the games that pass their "high quality curation" so judging the worth of a developer by the number of twitter followers is par with the course.... plus it gives the Steamspy guy something to do.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Seriously? That is one aspect of their curation is social media followers?

Folks acted like there would be some secret sauce for determing what games should be or should not be on the store.

I hope no one frames this as good thing since it means smaller devs, particularly first time devs, are arbitrarily denied out the gate. I suppose they could grind followers regardless of how engaged those followers are with whatever game they are putting out.

Granted, I am 100 percent certain there are other criteria to being put onto the store, it just seems like this one of those criteria that really does not tell you much and only serves to exclude on some arbitrary basis (e.g. why 1000, why not 500, 10000, etc.).

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Seriously? That is one aspect of their curation is social media followers?

Folks acted like there would be some secret sauce for determing what games should be or should not be on the store.

I hope no one frames this as good thing since it means smaller devs, particularly first time devs, are arbitrarily denied out the gate. I suppose they could grind followers regardless of how engaged those followers are with whatever game they are putting out.

Granted, I am 100 percent certain there are other criteria to being put onto the store, it just seems like this one of those criteria that really does not tell you much and only serves to exclude on some arbitrary basis (e.g. why 1000, why not 500, 10000, etc.).
well that's what some devs want, apparently .... for curation to come back

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018

Apparently you need a certain number of Twitter (or social media in general?) followers to be able to publish on EGS? I'm not sure if I'm reading this wrong, but that's pretty weird.
So one of two things must have happened, either these devs misunderstood Epic's creator program as creator meaning developer instead of influencer, or Epic just copied the requirements of their creator program for devs getting onto the store.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

I'm glad that an artist's quality is, as always, judged by its popularity. Social media is the best curation method and-

Sorry, I can't even say this with a straight face. The EGS really is something.
no, he didn't ... his workers did

he didn't even found Tesla ... he bought it and retroactively made himself the founder
Of course, that's capitalism and any organized endaevor for you. Still think it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped up.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
He would know, he's an expert tax dodger.

no, he didn't ... his workers did

he didn't even found Tesla ... he bought it and retroactively made himself the founder
Yep. And even if you think he contributed to humanity (which I don't), there's still the tiny fact that he accused a Thailand rescuer of being a pedophile because the latter refused to stroke his fragile ego. So no, Elon Musk is not an asshole. He's the entire excretory system.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So, Fortnite has a new event from the 6th to the 8th featuring Ariana Grande, curious to see how EGS and EOS will handle it.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So, Fortnite has a new event from the 6th to the 8th featuring Ariana Grande, curious to see how EGS and EOS will handle it.
Having never played Fortnite, how does the game host live events with actual living people -is it literally just a video stream inside the game or is there going it a 3d modelled Grande dancing and singing on 3d stage etc?

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Having never played Fortnite, how does the game host live events with actual living people -is it literally just a video stream inside the game or is there going it a 3d modelled Grande dancing and singing on 3d stage etc?
The latter.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
First game on that list is Metro Exodus, that 2.5x better launch tho'. :blobyikes:

Second is World War Z third is Division 2, so looks like Ubi games are 2 years "co-exclusive", Anno is in there too with the 24 months label.

Last edited: