News Epic Games Store

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
In regards to Darkest Dungeon 2, it has completely died on Twitch. The game sold quickly 100k copies in some days as the devs reported, but nothing reported since those numbers. The game also did huge numbers on Twitch during launch week, but every since launch month, the game has done worse on Twitch than the first game, the first game has done better on Twitch ever since after the first month of release for DD2.

I hugely expect the sales did well for 100k because it relased during a time when Epic had coupons and the sales quckly died afterwards.

It has been many times it Epics front page carousel, but that doesn't have worked well according to Twitch viewers.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
After months of being missing from the top sellers list, Rocket League and Final Fantasy 7 Remake finally showed up again. I guess the person in charge of the top sellers API eventually realized something was up.
No way in hell this is a real thing xd

It has been absent since... January? all the sudden at top 10'? yeah, no, that's not how it works, if it was on deep sale, I could see a spike, but 80€? nope

meschio94

Aug 21, 2021
It seemes the free vanilla xcom2 on egs is rotten:

Based on many of the recent posts here, it seems that the epic game store version of XCOM is riddled with bugs, most notably one that spawns mission objectives outside the playable zone. Alongside this, the EGS version appears to be incompatible with the community launcher and most mods. Please consider this before making a post. Don't know if this has been said already but evidently it must be repeated. If you want to play XCOM 2, get the steam version, it's constantly going on sale and lacks these issues.
Probably it will push the steam sales of the game, which is in salre rigth now for 12€ with all the dlc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I know we've had this discussion in the past, but I really have no reason to believe that the top sellers are worked. If I were fixing the numbers, I would at least make something like Mythforce, which has a spot in the top carousel, make the top 25 list (speaking of which that game is still using Steam for updates). I don't think there's any grand conspiracy, just general incompetence, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

I bet 1 or 2 sales would probably hit their top 10 list ;)
You're exaggerating, but it probably doesn't take more than a few hundred daily sales to make the list, outside of new major exclusives and Genshin/RL.

Reactions: Morten88

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I bet 1 or 2 sales would probably hit their top 10 list ;)
Not really, as mentioned multiple times some spots do no make any sense, as Arc I don't think there's a conspiracy but clearly that Top 25 doesn't work properly most of the time or do display results that do not correspond with what the market is doing, there are boost and downs that can't be explained all the sudden.

Reactions: Arc

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Warhammer 3 added Steam Workshop support in a recent patch. As far as I can tell, there is no workshop support for the EGS version which is ironic considering Troy Total War was the very first game to launch with EGS mod support. After nearly two years there are only two games that have EGS workshop support with the other being Mechwarrior 5. I assume developers won't bother with EGS workshop and just rely on Steam Workshop or mod.io.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Warhammer 3 added Steam Workshop support in a recent patch. As far as I can tell, there is no workshop support for the EGS version which is ironic considering Troy Total War was the very first game to launch with EGS mod support. After nearly two years there are only two games that have EGS workshop support with the other being Mechwarrior 5. I assume developers won't bother with EGS workshop and just rely on Steam Workshop or mod.io.
Epic half-asses a lot of features just to be able to show it checked off on the list.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
"Epic also claims music artists might have to wait longer for their money, too, saying that its current payment system allows artists to be paid within 24 to 48 hours of a sale, but that Google doesn’t pay developers until “15 to 45 days after a sale.”"

Imagine complaining about 15-45 days when certain game store (hint: not Steam), will take 75 to 105 days after a sale.

1st January sale -> end of February + 45 days -> April 15st ish.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This gives us some insight into why Bandcamp's owners sold, as this has been on the horizon for quite a while. This would obviously be an issue regardless of whether Bandcamp was independent or owned by Epic.

In general I actually think Epic has a stronger case against Google than Apple. Apple has never pretend iOS was an open platform (their platform, their rules), but Google likes to say Android is an open platform as a feature until it comes to bundling other stores with their devices, at which point they start getting funny.

Things like this don't make Google look good.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Yeah, Google is in much worse position than Apple.

Especially if blocking OnePlus (?) and Samsung from including non google-play version of Fortnite is true.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
While epic are in a much better position against google and I would even go as far to say they are in the right in this instance (shudder). I still dislike the fact that musicians are collateral damage in this. If the judge does rule in Google’s favour and epic don’t back down, the artists lose a revenue stream that was previously open to them.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I for one am shocked that the billionaire software developer has a dim view of unions when his employees have to crunch all the time for the metaverse. Could not have seen it coming
Don't forget about all the cheap (and underage) labor when the Fortniteverse goes online. Epic wants a piece of that Roblox pie.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Tiny Tina is on sale for the next six weeks. It must have sold wonderfully. The Mega Sale probably starts next Thursday and ends the 16th so 2K just deiced to have it run throughout the entire thing.

While 30% is probably a bit high I don't understand how he thinks they could run on 3%.
He's likely equating Apple's service with something along the lines of a card processor. At best he's intentionally being obtuse and at worst he's an idiot.

At some point Apple probably will have to relent and allow alternate stores, especially when the Digital Markets Act in the EU passes so Tim will eventually get what he wants. What the aftermath will be like is anyone's guess.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
While 30% is probably a bit high I don't understand how he thinks they could run on 3%.
He doesn't. He's continuing his "disruptive techbro" persona by wading into this argument.

It's the same shit Tim does: out of touch billionaire portraying themselves as hero for the downtrodden and poor, except for all his public stances and actions as an employer and public figure that actually keep those same people downtrodden and poor.

...or he has money in a system that would profit off apple being forced to open up

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I wonder if it will matter for their Apple case. I could see Apple as spinning it around to say they have not meaningfully blocked Epic as Epic, and any other claiming Apples monopoly, have more paths to letting folks play on Apple devices.

• This!
Reactions: thekeats1999

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Billionaire found a way to avoid paying royalties to platform owners in order to earn even more money. What a great world we live in. 🥰

• Sad
Reactions: Recrees

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

He really is a poor man's Elon Musk.
Hi Tim! Repressed any attempts at worker collectivism lately in the pursuit of the marketing and data collection-focused Metaverse? Or just tweets that willfully ignore the fact you're a billionaire boss crunching hundreds of people forced to sell their labour, throwing Objectivism around like a valid philosophy in 2022? Here's a response from reality:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Looking at some recent multistore releases, Warhammer 40k Daemonhunters was #9 this week on Steam. The same game peaked at #10 on EGS its first day and is currently at #24. Rogue Legacy 2 was #3 on Steam this week and isn't even in the top 25 on EGS, although it was in the 20s earlier this week.