News Epic Games Store

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, there are plenty games with crossplay on Steam. I'm not sure of the given implementation. When I play Onward which I bought on Steam I often play with people who have that from Oculus store. Space Junkies works the same and also allows PSVR players in iirc. Maybe it's not full integration, I don't think one can add friends from other systems, but that's up to each of those services having their own friends list stuff (and I suppose the available apis can always be used to import friends from Steam elsewhere like you can import them to EGS, no?). Can Epic convince them to bypass say, PSN friends list and use their own system on top? Or to utilize both at once with basically auto-import/export to EGS account? I'd rather not have to sign up/in to EGS to play games elsewhere. That's just offering a trojan horse, kind of how Ubisoft required Uplay to play their games no matter where you bought them. That's no pro-crossplay initiative, it's just a way to get people to sign up for EGS even if they don't actually use their platform. I'd rather avoid that if I can help it. I hope games that utilize that have the option to just work with whatever platform's system you got by default instead. Like some mobile games have their own crap but work with google play.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Everything started with this:

and until this moment he has not adressed the fact that Shenmue 3 will be a lesser product on EGS, his response was to say that they offer crossplay for free, with by the way, has nothing to do with a single player game like Shenmue 3.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Exclusives could be "good" for gaming if Epic was actually assuming risk, buying these studios and establishing them as healthy parts of their brand, like Valve did with Campo Santo.

Handing out checks to publishers, built on the crunch-broken backs of their own devs, is not that though.
Quoted because the distinction that you have made is so SIGNIFICANT!

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I think I have to stop listening to beastcast, used to be one of my favourites but it feels like they are always shilling egs. I know they aren't but somewhere they lost me and it's hard to let go.

Egs has destroyed so much for me, much more than just what games I can have on steam.

Fuck them forever for making me associate negative shit with Shenmue.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Huh, I haven't been browsing GOG for a while, and apparently they have regional pricing now. I'm not really sure since when. Cyberpunk has the same price as Steam, so I might consider getting the game on GOG instead. :thinking-blob:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

B-but epic told me Steam was a monopoly!!!!

The multi-store future is here. People are already using other launchers, willingly.
It's important for EGS to buy exclusives though. People are unwilling to use other launchers, after all.
Congratulations to GOG for implementing new, interesting features that nobody else has.
EGS doesn't need features. It's impossible to catch up to steam, so exclusives are the only way to go.

~Tim 2019

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

B-but epic told me Steam was a monopoly!!!!
It is an impressive stat when you think about it: the GOG launcher is not too crappy, it is their own game on their own store, yet they only manage to get 1/3 of the players to buy the game from their store (and support the company developing the game with more revenue share). It is the best case scenario for CDPR. What about all the other games? The sales must be so skewed towards Steam.

Reactions: m_dorian and ISee

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It is an impressive stat when you think about it: the GOG launcher is not too crappy, it is their own game on their own store, yet they only manage to get 1/3 of the players to buy the game from their store (and support the company developing the game with more revenue share). It is the best case scenario for CDPR. What about all the other games? The sales must be so skewed towards Steam.
i'm pretty sure it'll end up much higher than 1/3rd ... they probably aren't counting boxed sales yet ... or pre-orders from other stores (gmg etc.) .... 1/3rd is probably JUST directly from gog (vs steam and the 5 copies they sold on egs)

Reactions: ISee and Arsene

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

The multi-store future is here. People are already using other launchers, willingly.
It's important for EGS to buy exclusives though. People are unwilling to use other launchers, after all.
Congratulations to GOG for implementing new, interesting features that nobody else has.
EGS doesn't need features. It's impossible to catch up to steam, so exclusives are the only way to go.

~Tim 2019
Every time I read one of his tweets it makes my blood boil. All he does with his endless bullshit about Steam is create division. Also, the multi-store "future" existed long before your hobbled, useless piece of shit launched, asshole. Stop pretending like you are the messiah of PC gaming.

FUUUUUCK. I need a drink and it's 7am here lol

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It's funny and sad how we are all shocked that an article on Epic finally managed to call a spade a spade. Games journalism keeps digging its own grave.
i'm not shocked ... Casey has been talking about this stuff for a loooooong time on twitter :) i'm just glad she finally got the chance to actually write it all down as an article :)

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018

~Tim 2019
hey tim sweeney, fuck off you tool

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Why would you even assume the other 2/3rds are Steam? They obviously are on EGS. Obviously.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Personal feelings on Epic and Sweeney aside, it legitimately feels like Valve could have a strong case for a defamation suit if they cared at all. He's a public figure at the head of a competitor and has said outright lies about Valve, repeatedly, to the public, to further his own agenda. Isn't that practically the definition?

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I still think that Tim's tweeting anything that comes to his mind in order to get some kind of answer from Gabe or even from CDPR / GOG people now. Can't deny that EGS sales probably aren't looking great right now though. Their most recent releases is what, The Sinking City? Maybe Satisfactory is getting some sales since it apparently got a major update recently but yeah, August shouldn't be much better either.