Discussion Essential Worker/Employee Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
So, if you're still heading into work everyone, in a LOT of places in the world that means you're 'Essential'. Congrats! : )

Any one time perks?

Any proctective equipment provided by your job?

Any close calls?

Still in an office or are you in harms way?

Is what you're doing in jeopardy of getting the axe?

Do you feel like your job is more difficult to 'escape' from than before?

Myself:

1- No perks except that the rules on approval for sick time/vacation time were slackened a bit. Hey, at least I GET those things.
2-A couple of masks and some (in my case, USELESS) gloves were sent over by head office overseas.
3-No close calls that I know of.....
4-In the office, by myself for at least two hours each day and one other person for the remaining time. I count myself lucky.
5-Since I work for an Industrial computer manufacturer, I'd say yes. Satilite office can always close, everyone/anyone can be replaced and some of our customers are furloughing their rank and file employees.
6-Since the other person in my Dept has been WFH and one of us needs to be here actually touching computers, I'm here M-F. I haven't even entertained the thought of taking a day to do all of the 'Projects' that WFH people are indulging in or what if I need to help out a family member? Will the other person come in? And god forbid I search for another job..... Yeah this shit is inescapable atm, which I'm annoyed about but I'm thankful that I'm drawing a check and time to walk outside during lunch.

Maniac

As the name suggests. The OG Maniac.
Sep 19, 2018
Under your bed, creepin
metacouncil.com
No perks. Lots of hand sanitizer, some acrylic plastic shields put up by the cash register, lots of signage to keep distance etc... Retail; tons of people. That's about it. Close calls? Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say. lol

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
No perks
Gloves, hand sanitizer, a face shield I can't use in my position and one single disposable facemask :rolleyes: so I just use a handmade one I can wash wish beats the insanity of having to resuse disposables.
Close contact with many people outside although with a bunch of measures to minimize said contact as much as possible.

Reactions: Trisolarian
OP

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
No perks. Lots of hand sanitizer, some acrylic plastic shields put up by the cash register, lots of signage to keep distance etc... Retail; tons of people. That's about it. Close calls? Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say. lol
No exta $$?

In a perfect world, everyone could sit out until they paid up...

No perks
Gloves, hand sanitizer, a face shield I can't use in my position and one single disposable facemask :rolleyes: so I just use a handmade one I can wash wish beats the insanity of having to resuse disposables.
Close contact with many people outside although with a bunch of measures to minimize said contact as much as possible.
No extra $$?

Cheap fucks. A lot of them are making a KILLING off this shit

Last edited:

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
I work at an Amazon warehouse (EWR8 in New Jersey) for a part-time job and we get an extra $2 an hour and double wages for overtime. I wish they gave over $5 extra per hour.

They provide masks, gloves, sanitizer, and alcohol solutions to wipe equipment.

Every two days, HR contacts as to tell us that we have additional confirmed cases, but won't tell us how many people. The last time that they gave us a number was last month and that was 3-4. It must be between 10-20 now.

Reactions: Trisolarian
OP

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I work at an Amazon warehouse (EWR8 in New Jersey) for a part-time job and we get an extra $2 an hour and double wages for overtime. I wish they gave over $5 extra per hour.

They provide masks, gloves, sanitizer, and alcohol solutions to wipe equipment.

Every two days, HR contacts as to tell us that we have additional confirmed cases, but won't tell us how many people. The last time that they gave us a number was last month and that was 3-4. It must be between 10-20 now.
You should get an extra $5 hour easy, considering its NJ (I live here too lol) and its fucking amazon, recession proof and more vital than ever with nearly a trillion dollar market cap AMAZON.

Good on them for giving protection. Shitty on them for not telling you how many but from other people I know in NJ, when someone is positive at work, HR is cagey about saying who it is or giving any useful details. Must rub up against medical leave confidentiality laws.

Yesterday I had to go to the local post office and actually wait inside the lobby to speak to the post office workers. My office didn't get mail for 4 days and of course because I'm the last person standing at the actual office, keeping track of what mail is coming in is my job. So of course, off to brave mingling with the public in the name of mail..... Got my mail but then had a brief moment when I was locked in as the doors between the office and lobby loced electronically at 5pm :/ :/ Nothing like jamming your shoulder against some steel and glass......

Reactions: lashman
OP

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I hope essential META is doing ok today.

I'm good, just annoyed that the person getting paid peanuts it getting exposed to the most risk. (Me as the person being paid peanuts). Of course, now looking for another job is a pipe dream so.... giant ball of suck. Even paid off most of my student loans and got the training I needed these three years of being paid shit and living in non ideal situation. Of course, now I'm stuck.

Not really interested in reading complaints from people working from home atm. No interest. Don't care about boredom, their depression, other shit. Keep on stepping richer fucker.

Reactions: lashman
OP

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
God I'm tired.

Its the mental load at spending so much time at the office by basically myself, being in charge of all deliveries, mail, much of the packing for the move.... on top of what I normally have to do. Fuck me, I even had a week off for a death in the family and I'm fried to a crisp at 10am on Friday on my first week back. Feels like mental capacity is already under 1/2 load just trying to dodge the virus (I'm in NJ, so YEAH) and adding work its draining me far more than it should.

I've of course had to remove thoughts of raises or moving to a higher paying job out of my mind. Who could think of such things with 17% unemployment and people in my office getting hours cut and our web person getting the pink slip.

• Love
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
No perks for me because I'm in management.

Hourly employees get an additional $2/hr. That has been in effect since late March. Expires May 28.
If an employee is diagnosed with COVID-19, they get four weeks paid off.
Any employee can choose not to come in to work for fear of COVID-19 up to 30 days unpaid.

We've had only two confirmed cases in our entire complex. (a sister building recently had a massive outbreak tho)

Masks and temperature checks are required for all employees entering the building. I work primarily in an an office, but I have to administer all the PPI, so I come into contact with everyone. I'm not worried, though, because I work in the middle of nowhere and these people don't have social lives anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.