News Fallout: The Frontier mod is a new Fallout game releasing on January 15th

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
As the title suggested, even though it's just a mod, it's basically a new Fallout game. They originally planned to release this in December, but it's pushed to January. It's mostly funded by the development team and patreon. It's also going to be on Steam.

Fallout: The Frontier is a gigantic DLC/New Game . It’s a FREE mod for the PC game : Fallout new Vegas by Obsidian Entertainment, made by a group of passionate on their free time during 6 years. Story: As the “Courrier” (Your character in FNV) you start a new adventure centered around a conflict between the NCR and the Legion in the snow blasted remains of Portland Oregon. Featuring 3 major questlines, 50+ side quests, hundreds of new armours, weapons and items, and thousands of lines of voiced dialogue.

New Worldspace Design
The Frontier is an open world, similar in size to the DC wasteland, featuring a fully snowy Portland Oregon, with real life landmarks and locations.

New Gameplay
Fight against new varieties and styles of enemies! Featuring a robust new vehicle system, dozens of interesting creatures, over 150 new weapons and hundreds of new armours, there’s a whole world of exploration.

Unique FX
The Frontier brings you world class FX and experiences, with techniques that are used in modern VFX. Our FX are designed to be as performance friendly as possible, whilst blowing the gates open in terms of quality and “awesome-ness”

Voice Acting
The Frontier is a fully voiced experience, with over 24,000 lines of voiced dialogue, all provided by our talented voice acting cast and a few celebrity guests! We’ve aimed for as high a quality experience as we can in terms of voice acting. Voice Acting done with the help of Creators Network and Casting Call Club

Questing
Featuring 3 major questlines following the NCR, the Legion and the Crusaders of Steel. Dozens of new side quests of varying length and complexity, with an incredible amount of worldbuilding to help bring the experience together. Skill and S.P.E.C.I.A.L checks abound. Level yourself up to sweet talk your way out of trouble.

DLC content
Fallout: The Frontier requires the base game and the four official DLCs.

Here's a couple of videos of the mod in action from early 2020 build.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
First I heard of this! But I know what this smoothskin will be playing come January :dmcblob:

Reactions: ISee
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Just 3 more days, hype!

I joined the Discord and found some more updated FAQ:
Q) When is the Frontier coming out?
A) January 15th, 2021!

Q) Where does the Frontier take place?
A) Portland, Oregon

Q) Is the Frontier a continuation of the New Vegas story?
A) NO, the Frontier takes place before the Battle of Hoover Dam.

Q) Are any of the DLC required?
A) All four main DLC are required (Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road).

Q) Are there any required mods?
A) 4GB Patcher, NVSE, JIP LN NVSE Plugin, and UIO. NVAC and MCM are recommended.

Q) Will X appear in the Mojave after or during Y?
A) No, we DO NOT touch the base game or its respective DLC in any capacity besides the initial location designated to get you to The Frontier.

Q) How will faction main quests play out?
A) NCR will be a more linear combat oriented playthrough, while Legion will be more dialogue and skill oriented, and the Crusaders will be a balanced blend of the two

Q) Can I use an old character?
A) We strongly suggest you create a new save for playing the Frontier, to minimize potential errors.

Q) Can we take companions with us to the Frontier?
A) No. Q) What's the recommended level? A) The recommended level is 20+.

Q) How big is the map?
A) 64x64, as big as we can get it in heightmap editor. Complete map dimensions: 383x383 cells (Data from -64,-64 to 191,191). Playable area: 64x64 cells (Data from -32.-32 to 32.32). This is the same playable area as New Vegas AND Fallout 3.

Q) Will this game be free?
A) As mentioned above, this is not a game, but a mod for Fallout New Vegas. As such, yes, it will be free. And no, it won't be released on console as this is simply not possible.

Q) Can we take vehicles to the Mojave from the Frontier?
A) No, the Mojave wasn't designed for it.

Q) Will it be compatible with [mod name here]?
A) A spreadsheet cataloguing recommended/vital mods along with known incompatibilities and their severity is being worked on and will be published in due course.
Also, it seems like the game will be 27GB in size. Base game is 6GB only, in comparison.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
How many lines of dialogue did New Vegas have, compared to the 24k in this mod?

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
How many lines of dialogue did New Vegas have, compared to the 24k in this mod?
New Vegas has 52K+ voiced lines of dialogue, compared to 24k in this mod. But there might be more non-voiced dialogue in Frontier compared to New Vegas.

Reactions: d00d3n
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Here's the release trailer that'll go live at launch time.

The devs have also shared the installation guide, as the Nexus version is not as streamlined as the delayed Steam version.
- FOR NEW INSTALLATIONS

ALL OF THESE REQUIRE SOME LEVEL OF READING COMPREHENSION, PLEASE READ ALL DESCRIPTIONS AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THESE MODS

1) Install New Vegas
2) Patch the EXE via the 4gb patcher from FNV 4GB Patcher. Ensure you have the correct VC++ redis from the page linked
3) Install xNVSE from Release xNVSE 6.0.0 · xNVSE/NVSE. You require the latest 6.0+ version
4) Install JIPLN from JIP LN NVSE Plugin
5) Install Johnny Guitar from JohnnyGuitar NVSE
6) Install UIO from UIO - User Interface Organizer
7) Install NVAC from NVAC - New Vegas Anti Crash
8) Install The Frontier by placing all the files from the 7z file into your Fallout New Vegas/Data folder.
8) Run the game once to see if you have any missing dependencies. If you do, download and install the correct versions.
9) Enjoy the Frontier!
Lastly, a Nexus article:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I'm playing a bit more Enderal in the wait for the steam version.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
I know i said I was excited as hell to play this, BUT my SSD with my game library just went kaput so waiting for replacement so I could install everything.

• Hug
Reactions: texhnolyze
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I love the jokes a lot, very Fallout-esque. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

From stupid characters with totally wrong ideas about the old world to references to other Fallout games and good ol' sarcams.

I think I'll wait for the steam version, did they provided any ETA?
Last time I heard, they're only waiting for Valve's approval right after this weekend.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte