|OT| FMV (full motion video) games

Deleted member 113

Root Letter Last Answer, the updated version of the Visual Novel game Root Letter, that allows players to select either a drawn/animation, or a live action presentation, is currently at its lowest price, with a 70% discount:

Reactions: fokkusu and lashman

Deleted member 113

Anyone have any good new about ?

(Sorry, I'm blaming the poster above for reminding me FMV games are a thing...)
Sadly, no. :(

The last update I read was in mid-last year. I believe they were trying to get it done for late 2019, but that came and went, and they haven't updated anything in some time.
Hopefully, it's just to avoid further delays.

Their twitter page (which is the platform that they more frequently updated) is:

And, the websites:

Reactions: knch

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Wales Interactive have a trailer for an interesting take on an FMV game.

At first i thought oh dear where is this going but by the end i could see how it could go places. I'm curious to hear more.

edit: looks like they put it up too early and have now pulled it down. It'll surface again soon, i'm sure.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
The Dark Side of the Moon released on the 12th March and has positive reviews, seems a bit short at 2-3 hours but that's fine for an FMV game. Low budget but with some good acting, worth keeping an eye on i think.

Giant Bomb did a Quick Look the other day.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Bumpage! Erica ( listed above ) is out and has a 10% discount at the moment on it's already cheap price.

I Saw Black Clouds is looking a bit disappointing for an FMV. It's a really well made film apparently but the choices are a bit flimsy and there's no mid-saves or chapter select so you have to replay for the different endings. Those that do like it have said the negative reviews are a bit harsh so I might still pick it up next month anyway.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Just logged in to Steam after a few weeks an i'd missed this. It has mixed reviews but that seems to be because it,s short and people aren't finding it that scary. I'll probably get it anyway because Wales Interactive are really helping to keep the genre alive and i like to support them.

Produced during all the lockdowns too which is great effort for a small and improving dev/publisher.

Reactions: lashman and fokkusu

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
American Hero is coming to GOG on 11th November with Timothy Bottoms rerecording voice work for the game.
Aww yiss, if i remember this is cheesy as heck! Yup, it's a cancelled Atari Jaguar CD Game.

Deleted member 113

American Hero is coming to GOG on 11th November with Timothy Bottoms rerecording voice work for the game.
Aww yiss, if i remember this is cheesy as heck! Yup, it's a cancelled Atari Jaguar CD Game.

It believe it's also coming to Steam. ;)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
i had a half-arsed search through a couple of posts in the steam thread and couldn't see it so i posted it here. I would have posted it here anyway :p

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

American Hero is out now on GOG, and apparently it will not launch on Steam, because according to the publisher Valve considered it "too mature for Steam":

Deleted member 113

This problem came up for Super Seducer 3, which ended up being denied a release because it featured girls in thongs/g-strings or similar "skimpy" outfits, and at least one other game (a free domain "b movie" adapted to a game, that featured a bit of nudity, which had to be cut).

It seems Valve now has very strict policies regarding games with full motion video/live action footage, in terms of what it perceives as sexual content.
As can be seen everywhere on the shop, they are fine with games featuring explicit content/sexual content, but anything live action is a big "no no".

I haven't played American Hero yet, but I believe there's a scene at a strip club (so, at least you get women in skimpy outfits), and that's probably what caused problems for Valve.

This policy from Valve is a bit weird. Games with graphic rape, incest, and similar stuff are OK for release, but if the game has live action footage, and anything they perceive as sexual content (even if it isn't nudity), there's a big chance it won't release on Steam.

As a fan of FMV games, this naturally is quite a disappointing policy from Valve.

So, we reach this weird case of the game launching on Switch, PS4, Xbox, and GOG, but not Steam.
I mean, even Sony didn't have a problem with it, but Valve did.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I haven't played American Hero yet, but I believe there's a scene at a strip club (so, at least you get women in skimpy outfits), and that's probably what caused problems for Valve.
oh, yeah ... that might've been it ... damn it :(

Deleted member 113

oh, yeah ... that might've been it ... damn it :(
Scratch that, I watched a small video, and the character has plenty of scenes with ladies in underwear on top of him, so it's not a single scene. ;)

Still, this is all a bit ridiculous. All of these "make out" scenes I saw never feature any actual nudity, just women showing their bras, so it's nothing you wouldn't catch on TV.

Again, it's too bad Valve had a problem with it, since from the clips I saw the game features plenty of actors that fans of "b movies" will recognize.

Oh well, GOG it is.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Super Seducer also has issues in that it seems like one of those "Pick Up Artist" games and i think it started out like that but newer versions have the character painted as more of a sad, clueless, cringe type than a mysogenist/incel. At least that's how i remember the controversy when the series first appeared. I honestly didn't look into it much as it doesn't appeal to me at all.