Opinion Game of the Year & Game of the Decade

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I'm just going to vote things I have played for GOTY and the most influential and important games I played for the GOTD.
I will use little banners as I did last year once we open the thread (same as last year)

And yes, why your list should be limited to Steam if you have played things from other ecosystems and consoles? choose what you consider it's worthy of being in your list.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
i don't know ... maybe Wok wants to do it again this year? :)
That is a possibility, but I am not 100% certain yet:
  • reminding people to vote was a hassle, it is the worst part of managing the vote. Maybe a reminder could be automated, like once a week?
  • I used to rely on Steam to match game names and check their release dates (with a script to automate the process, and hard-coded entries only if game names were not properly matched), and my script could have a harder time due to exclusivities. That is a minor inconvenience though, people might mostly vote for Steam games anyway. Otherwise, I can solve that with more hard-coded entries. Ideally, I would rely on IGDB instead of Steam.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Maybe a reminder could be automated, like once a week?
that should be possible, i think .... i believe it's possible to do a notification that will always be visible (until the voting ends) and can't be dismissed

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
that should be possible, i think .... i believe it's possible to do a notification that will always be visible (until the voting ends) and can't be dismissed
That would be annoying. Instead, it could be a reminder which could be dismissed, but would come back every week.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That would be annoying. Instead, it could be a reminder which could be dismissed, but would come back every week.
i'm checking the documentation for xenforo right now, and i don't think something like that can be done

the closest thing i'm seeing is someone manually setting up multiple notices to go live at certain times ... so, like, every Monday at 7pm etc. etc. ... but i can't see anything about recurring alerts

Reactions: Wok
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
i'm checking the documentation for xenforo right now, and i don't think something like that can be done

the closest thing i'm seeing is someone manually setting up multiple notices to go live at certain times ... so, like, every Monday at 7pm etc. etc. ... but i can't see anything about recurring alerts
But the end result would be pretty much the same right?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Well my list would include at least 1 console only game, but however you go with it, I will adapt.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
So this would be games released this year on Steam, including early access games that hit their full 1.0 release this year?

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So this would be games released this year on Steam, including early access games that hit their full 1.0 release this year?
Precisely, EA games that left EA during the year. Can't remember fully how episodic games worked, if it was the last episode or the first episode that had to release during the year.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
Precisely, EA games that left EA during the year. Can't remember fully how episodic games worked, if it was the last episode or the first episode that had to release during the year.
It would definitely make sense for Life is Strange 2 to be included now since a lot more people would be playing it since Episode 5's release, and technically it is now fully complete (much like an EA game hitting 1.0).

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It would definitely make sense for Life is Strange 2 to be included now since a lot more people would be playing it since Episode 5's release, and technically it is now fully complete (much like an EA game hitting 1.0).
Yeah I agree, a season that concluded during the year should be eligible.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Categories would be:
  • Game of the Year Award (up to 5 votes)
    • Any game released on PC in 2019 is eligible, including:
      • remakes,
      • remasters,
      • episodic content if the last episode was released in 2019.
      • games released after their Early Access period ended in 2019,
      • VR games.
    • Games released in "Early Access" in 2019 have a separate category. Should we allow an overlap between these categories?
  • Ongoing Game of the Year / DLC of the Year (optional)
    • Any game released on PC prior to 2019 and which has received a content update of any kind in 2019.
  • Early Access of the Year (optional)
    • Any game released on PC in 2019 in "Early Access".
  • Turd of the Year (optional)
    • Any game released on PC in 2019 and which has been a huge disappointment.
  • VR Game of the Year (optional)
    • Any game released on PC in 2019 and which requires a VR headset.
  • Game of the Decade (up to 5 votes, optional)
    • Any game released on PC in 201X.

Last edited:
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Looks good Wok ! Would it be a hassle if the game of the decade was separate? Or one could make several votes for it the same way as for goty? I'm thinking that if every one just votes one game for gotd it, then I'm sure we would just get hundred games all tied to the first place.XD

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Or one could make several votes for it the same way as for goty?
Right. I had not thought about this. It would be better to allow people to cast several ballots for the GotD.

Also, what needs to be figured out is whether EA/VR are allowed in the GotY category.

Last year, we had these rules regarding the main category:
  • Do not choose DLC or Early Access as part of the GOTY section.
  • Do not submit the same game more than once.
It makes sense to say that people should not cast 5 times the same ballot for the GOTY.

It also makes sense to prevent DLC for games released prior to 2019 from appearing in the GOTY section.

However, it does not make sense to prevent people from voting for the same VR game in the GOTY and in the optional VR GOTY section (new this year).

As for EA, we had a complaint last year. Would it make sense to allow people to vote for an EA game in the GOTY section, as long as the EA period started in 2019? I don't think it would be a big issue, but this way, games released in EA would have two shots at the GOTY section: the year during which the EA starts, and the year during which the EA ends. If a game is in EA one year, and released the year after, it is a bit unfair to have two shots at GOTY in consecutive years.

We could keep last year's rules (regarding DLC and EA), but make an exception for VR games. Or should we drop the rule for EA?

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Pertti

Mondy

Don't confuse a single failure with a final defeat
Jan 3, 2020
Australia
Game of 2019 is Jedi Fallen Order: My PC is powerful enough that I pretty much brute forced it and didn't experience many bugs or glitches at all. Amazing game, and a far better use of Star Wars than TROS.

Game of the Decade? This one is a lot tougher. I guess the only way I can answer is two separate categories for Single and Multi player. Singleplayer GOTD is Witcher 3, without a doubt. Multiplayer GOTD is easily Rocket League.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Why only games on Steam?
The poll won't be limited to Steam games, but it will be limited to PC games (at least, if I manage the poll):
  1. I don't want to manually check every vote, it is tedious and mistakes happen,
  2. last year, there was only one vote for a game which was not available on PC, so it is safe to assume that a console game won't make it to the top.
I can use SteamSpy to merge the votes for people who used slightly different game titles. It also allows me to automatically check the release dates of the games to make sure that they were released in the correct time window. All I do is check that games are correctly grouped and manually tackle the exceptions (mostly Epic exclusive games this year), for which I manually write down a few entries. It is fine with me as long as most games are Steam games.

If I manage to use the much more comprehensive IGDB database instead of SteamSpy, then all the data will be available and these constraints will vanish.

Last edited: