News GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon (Konami) - Early Access out on May 13th

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon combines intense roguelite hack-and-slash action with a stunning dark fantasy world, brought to life through the stroke of traditional Japanese art.

As the chosen leader and guardian of the land of the living, wield the otherworldy arsenal and powers of the Getsu clan as you descend deeper into the depths of Hell to eradicate the source of the cataclysm.

Distinct Ukiyo-e Inspired Visuals
Inspired by the Japanese ukiyo-e art style, the world of GetsuFumaDen is as beautiful as it is deadly.
Vibrant, dynamic 2D animations bring the artistic world to life.

Brutal, Larger than Life Boss Battles
A reanimated demon lord, a colossal centipede, and a five-headed hydra are only some of the myriad massive and fearsome monsters and yokai standing in your way.
Defend yourself against their relentless onslaught and emerge victorious to descend deeper into the depths of Hell.

Dynamic, Weapon-Based Combat.
Master the rythmn of intense sword fighting action: pacing and timings of movements are inspired by Japanese martial arts.
Utilize the unique special moves of a wide range of weapon types including katanas, battle umbrellas and spears to outsmart your enemies.

Authentic Roguelite Action
While death is not the end, the world of Hell lives and breathes, presenting new map layouts and challenges to overcome with each attempt.
Permanent upgrades, customizable weapons, and variable level progression provide new opportunities and challenges for every run.

Immersive Weapon Enhancement System
The crafting process gives you complete control over the ability to collect, enhance and unlock abilities of main and sub weapons.
Unlock enhancements to your favorite weapons at each run, and get back in the action!

Soul Devour Power-Up System
Collect souls during each descent to power up in real time.
Utilize the unique power-up system to dynamically and strategically select enhancements.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I know there's no official translation or localization but is there an EN fan translation of Famicom GetsuFumaDen we could apply to the ROM?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks, you beat me to it. I'd just picked up the EN Translations and was about to post the link.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Some highlights:
WHY DID KONAMI DECIDE TO RETURN TO THE GETSUFUMADEN FRANCHISE?

We began planning for this title in 2018. During this time, we noticed that indie titles and relatively small game projects with high artistic elements and game systems (many times with Japanese themes) really stood out. Because of this, we wanted to try and pursue a title that matched these criteria.

One such title in the Konami archives was the original GestuFumaDen, which we felt was a masterpiece, but never had a sequel and was not available globally. As a result, we thought this could be a fun IP to revisit, introducing gameplay functionality and visuals that the newest systems could truly deliver.

Another big factor is that there are many fans of the original GetsuFumaDen on our team now who were excited to work on this project.
DO YOU SEE GETSUFUMADEN: UNDYING MOON AS A SEQUEL OR REIMAGINING OF THE ORIGINAL FAMICOM TITLE?

The setting for this new title is approximately 1,000 years after the original GetsuFumaDen. The new story is about the Getsu descendants whose founder was the main character of the original game.
WHAT WILL KEEP GETSUFUMADEN: UNDYING MOON RUNS INTERESTING IN THE LONG TERM? WHICH ITEMS OR ENHANCEMENTS CARRY OVER?

In this game, exploring your own play style and finding the right approach that fits each player is one of the really fun elements. This includes the way in which players collect main weapons or sub-weapons of several systems and change equipment as they progress.

There are several types of main and sub-weapons that players can choose within the same system, and those weapons will demonstrate their true value after unlocking the game’s skill tree. The condition of unlocking skill trees is carried over to support player engagement down the line as well.

Additionally, it’s not just about main weapons or sub-weapons. Players can also enhance a variety of character abilities that will be carried over as well, so players must consider and carefully choose their own playstyle as they progress.
WHICH AREAS OF THE GAME ARE YOU MOST KEEN ON GETTING EARLY ACCESS FEEDBACK FOR?

Integrating the community’s voice into our development process is extremely important. We want to build and evolve this game alongside our players, not just for them. Our goal is to get continuous feedback from users regarding their overall experience playing the game, particularly when engaging with the general level design.

We want to be able to tune the game appropriately so we can make it a title that fans will be able to play and enjoy for a very long time. Also, we do plan to add DLC in the future, so we will definitely take user feedback to heart when we are thinking about what is working best and what isn’t, and how we can use that feedback to help us create new content and expand the game down the line.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Wow, this game looks stunning. Reviews on Steam are good so far -- $24 USD seems like a lot for early access, but I might jump on this one. Thanks for posting this!!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Wow, this game looks stunning. Reviews on Steam are good so far -- $24 USD seems like a lot for early access, but I might jump on this one. Thanks for posting this!!
They imply the EA version is a form of the Deluxe Version in the EA notice. They say that there will be Standard and Deluxe when it launches and EA purchasers get the Deluxe extras.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“For the full launch version, we will add several stages, weapons and playable characters. Also, there will be adjustments made to the game balance as well as other optimizations patches. [UWSL]Users who participate in the Early Access will get a digital art book, original mini soundtrack and Famicom version of “GetsuFumaDen” as bonuses.[/UWSL] [UWSL]These won’t be included in the standard edition, but are planned to be included in the digital deluxe edition of the game after launch.[/UWSL]”

Reactions: xinek and Cacher

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I bought it, not only because it looks good and it's an old IP coming back but also because I want to keep supporting Konami when it comes to release more stuff (big or small) on Steam. :blobmorning:

• Hug
  • This!
Reactions: xinek and Cacher

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I've only beaten the first boss so far, but this game definitely has the Dead Cells vibe that I love. It's hard to put it down -- just one more run! Not all the systems are explained very well, and progression seems way too slow, but it's still early access. The actual gameplay is fantastic.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'll just leave this here for those of us looking to apply the Fan Translations to the NES ROM...

257kb "getsufuu_maden.nes" was in one of the extracted folders.
Nestopia would not play it or the IPS patch ENG translation but the FCEUMM Core in RetroArch was fine.
I patched the original rom with Lunar IPS.
I suspect you need to add the game to the Nestopia xml database for it to be recognised and work.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: xinek and Tizoc