News Getting the most out of your Steam Release (+ new Steamworks homepage)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Today we're releasing a couple of new informational resources for developers and publishers to help them get the most out of each Steam release. We've launched a new Steamworks homepage that details all the major features available to game developers via Steam and some new documentation specifically pointing out the features that can be used to help build an audience and communicate with players via Steam.

New Steamworks Homepage
We've heard from quite a few game developers that aren't aware of many of the tools and features available for free via Steamworks as part of releasing a game on Steam. So we thought it would be useful to put together a better overview page that provides a summary of all the ways that developers can make use of the Steam platform. Among these tools are ways to help build an audience, manage business, communicate with players, and solve common development challenges.

You can check out the full new information site on the homepage of Steamworks here: Steamworks - Build & Distribute Your Games on Steam

Marketing Tools & Features Documentation
We've also gotten a lot of questions from game developers about how to reach the right audience for their game and build up to a successful launch. So, we've put together a set of documentation to draw attention to the tools and features that Steam provides for game developers to reach customers and stay connects throughout the lifespan of a game. Many of these are tools that Steam has had for a long time, but who's value we haven't been good at communicating over time.

You can find this new resource here: Features And Tools, Marketing (Steamworks Documentation)

As always, please let us know what you think, or if you have any feedback.

Sincerely,
-The Steam Team
👀👀👀

and some choice stuff from the new Steamworks page:

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just had a look at the new Steamworks page, it's basically a better frontend for finding all the features that were already there.

IMHO, if you manage to develop a game you should also have managed to understand the previous documentation, but it doesn't hurt to give people a better access point.

It's certainly impressive to see all those consumer- and developer-facing features gathered in one page.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I just had a look at the new Steamworks page, it's basically a better frontend for finding all the features that were already there.

IMHO, if you manage to develop a game you should also have managed to understand the previous documentation, but it doesn't hurt to give people a better access point.

It's certainly impressive to see all those consumer- and developer-facing features gathered in one page.
yeah, that's EXACTLY what i've been saying .... there's FINALLY a place to show everyone who asks "what are they even doing for that 30%? just sitting on their asses, not doing anything"

... speaking of which - i just added all the "spicy bits" to the OP :)

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Yet it wasn't that long ago 'devs' were complaining about steam automatically setting local market appropriate regional pricing as though they were sneakily being robbed of income ¯\(ツ)/¯

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yet it wasn't that long ago 'devs' were complaining about steam automatically setting local market appropriate regional pricing as though they were sneakily being robbed of income ¯\(ツ)/¯
which is really weird because (as a dev) you don't set the price and regional prices in a different place in the backend ... it's LITERALLY the same place ... all the regional prices are just below the US price ... not even "scroll down to see them" kind of below ... they're literally 5px below the US price (which you HAVE TO set - there is no default value there which you can just miss by accident by clicking "next" too many times or something)

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Well this current situation has shown that it doesn't actually matter what you offer, it only matters what you say you offer - whether that's true or wrong.

Reactions: lashman

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
which is really weird because (as a dev) you don't set the price and regional prices in a different place in the backend ... it's LITERALLY the same place ... all the regional prices are just below the US price ... not even "scroll down to see them" kind of below ... they're literally 5px below the US price (which you HAVE TO set - there is no default value there which you can just miss by accident by clicking "next" too many times or something)
yeah but didn't read lol

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Looks good. One of these days (in the next 5 years) I'll get my app and start poking around there.
i already have mine ;)

looks like they're changing some stuff in the backend as well:

Last edited:
Reactions: JMTHEFOX

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Amazing changes and stats, I like that they have reworked the site to make it more useful and improving their service for the devs, that Marketing guide for beginners is something else, hopefully a lot of people will improve their way to sell games, anyway, glad their are updating their services.

that new traffic reports page is really cool.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Amazing changes and stats, I like that they have reworked the site to make it more useful and improving their service for the devs, that Marketing guide for beginners is something else, hopefully a lot of people will improve their way to sell games, anyway, glad their are updating their services.

that new traffic reports page is really cool.
yeah, all really great stuff ... let's hope people actually read it :)

Reactions: Rogue Agent

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Always interesting to see the details on the developer side. So there is where all the "greedy" 30% goes :p

For all the talk "for the developers" Epic does.... what exactly does the EGS offers in terms of tools? Or is all "please email the tech guy" (or tweet Sergey) to change something?

Reactions: lashman

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Always interesting to see the details on the developer side. So there is where all the "greedy" 30% goes :p

For all the talk "for the developers" Epic does.... what exactly does the EGS offers in terms of tools? Or is all "please email the tech guy" (or tweet Sergey) to change something?
The only public tool we know they provide is an open API to enable and make simpler cross-play and cross-platform. But I'm kinda sure that they provide some more things in the private scene, maybe assistance but who knows, not that they are that open about this things.

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Looks like a massive improvement from the original page. My only personal nitpick is that the site really LOVES using the color white.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
This is yet another great resource detailing what Steam offers. Unofficially, we had great posts, lash's twitter thread and a comprehensive document detailing Steam's benefits vs. EGS. Now it's nice to see official resources mentioning all these benefits.

Can't wait to dig into this one day.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is yet another great resource detailing what Steam offers. Unofficially, we had great posts, lash's twitter thread and a comprehensive document detailing Steam's benefits vs. EGS. Now it's nice to see official resources mentioning all these benefits.

i already have :) lots of good stuff in there

Reactions: Rogue Agent

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

And this is why Valve should totally consider the "Steam 101" for new users, resources for the devs + resources for the players about how to get the best of the platform and improve the tools for better recommendations and better self-curation.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
i already have :) lots of good stuff in there
That's nice to hear. Can't wait!
And this is why Valve should totally consider the "Steam 101" for new users, resources for the devs + resources for the players about how to get the best of the platform and improve the tools for better recommendations and better self-curation.
I agree. This would be extremely helpful for anyone. If everything like this is in one place, it's so much better.

Reactions: Mor and lashman