|OT| GOG - Old Games, New Games, Good Games!

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

I saw some people talking about the GOG sale and asking about suggestions for older games and I sort of realized we didn't actually have a GOG thread, I'm not really an expert on stuff but I really love some older games and most of are only available on GOG! So with my bad photoshop skills and like of old games I figured why not.

So what is GOG if you literally have no idea what the hell it is and you clicked on this because my awesome photoshop skills intrigued you?

GOG Website
GOG is a curated storefront similar to Steam but it sells DRM copies of games, it used to only specialize in older games (GOG stands for Good Old Games) but they've moved towards accepting modern games as well although it's a fairly strict curation storefront in that regard compared to Steams wildwest sort of situation.

GOG also has GOG Galaxy, I'm sure a few of you have heard about the 2.0 version being touted around (Unified client for all games you own from all store fronts Steam, Ubisoft, EA, Origin, ETC. ) but its current iteration doesn't actually suck.

GOG Galaxy has a friends list, game downloads (Which will keep them up to date), cloud saves (Yes even the ancient games), Back up downloads (Simple download of your DRM Free copy of a game you've purchased), Im sure i'm forgetting stuff, etc, etc,
GOG GALAXY 2.0 - All your games and friends in one place.
(That link also has information on their future 2.0 plans)

Another interesting thing that GOG has is community wishlist page

Conveniently located at GOG Wishlist

GOG also sometimes has the amazing team up with Steam called:

Located at
GOG.com

It's very few and far between for when they do it anymore but it's pretty neat when they do it regardless!

Alright, game suggestions!
Say you have absolutely nothing on GOG and you want to try games old people played! Alright cool!

All of these games are completely free to get on GOG (Some of them are even good!)

I'm a huge fan of the Ultima Series so I suggest grabbing those simply because I'm biased and I took the time to write all of this shit. Beneath a Steel sky is also good for a Point and click game if you're interested in Cyberpunk setting for that genre. It's at this point in time I will also mention that GOG also has user written reviews! So you can get other peoples thoughts too! (A forum as well!)

For the time being I'll keep it simpler and suggest 5 games that I'm very fond of:

Stonekeep! (RPG, Dungeon Crawler)
It's one of (if not) my favorite dungeon crawlers. For me it has lots of things going right for it with a good story for the most part simple enough combat but challenging enough to not put you to sleep for boss fights to regular fights, plus spooky skeletons.

Quest for Glory! (RPG, Point & Clicker)
Everyone else seemingly played Kings Quest but apparently I played this instead. If I had to think of a point and click adventure game that summed up what I legitmately think of wanting out of the "Ideal" for story, puzzle, light combat mechanics, humor etc than the Quest for Glory series (Sold as one package deal!) is my ideal.

Crusader No Remorse! (Isometric Shooter thing Rpg?
Crusader is another one of my favorite games because it's basically an isometric shooter that has gear and upgrades that you're trying to get through tougher and tougher levels. The story is really amazing for it. Not to mention it has a sequel that's basically the same but better!

Betrayal at Krondor! (RPG)
It's a grandiose role playing game that was basically the skyrim of its time in the sense that it was that great. I mean I can try to describe stuff better but I'm going to end up just doing like batman sound effects.

Arcanum! (RPG)
Everyone always talks about Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Planescape, etc. Theirs nothing wrong with those fantastic games. Just they aren't Arcanum. If you've never played this or haven't heard of it well you're in luck! It's a steam punk fantasy world setting so magic and technology exist together and it's great! There's not a whole lot of old school games that did it let alone ones that did it well so give it a chance!

If you want to get an idea if my general interests etc here's my GOG profile:

It's me!
It should be linked properly to take you to my games list to get a good idea of suggestions if you don't want to read through this but anyways!
Here's my Wishlist:
Wishlist
With newer games and older games for suggestions

I'll I guess try to update this when GOG adds new stuff to their store or when something exciting happens, I hope this wasn't a huge waste of time. If people would like suggestions on older games I have more!

Website that lets you search by year, genre, etc on GOG specifically

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I second anyone looking for an awesome iso shooter need look no further than Crusader. The FMV is dripping with cheese and it only adds to the game.
Loves me so gog. I'm doing my best not to buy half my wishlist in the sake as we speak

Here's my wishlist as another example of good new games, good old games, and Daikatana.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I'm sure it got mentioned in the other places but I figured i'd give a mention before its too late for people to give it a grab if they want this game is still free as well for the time being because of GOG's Summer sale!
Obduction

It will only remain free for the next 7 hours from this post ( 1 PM UTC, 6 am PST, 9 am EST )
It's from the studio/company that made Myst by the way so that's kind of cool

Deleted member 113

For fans of classic RPGs, GOG has a few Dungeons & Dragons games in which they are listed as publishers themselves, so these probably won't make it to Steam.
They are frequently cheap as hell in most sales, and are well worth it, particularly the 3 Archives Collections, and their 3 other listings that compile games from the Krynn, Dark Sun and Ravenloft Series:

Forgotten Realms - The Archives - Collection One:
-Eye of the Beholder
-Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon
-Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor

Forgotten Realms - The Archives - Collection One on GOG.com

Forgotten Realms - The Archives - Collection Two:
-Pool of Radiance
-Curse of the Azure Bonds
-Hillsfar
-Secret of the Silver Blades
-Pools of Darkness
-Gateway to the Savage Frontier
-Treasures of the Savage Frontier
-Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures

Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Two on GOG.com

Forgotten Realms - The Archives - Collection Three:
-Dungeon Hack
-Menzoberranzan

Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three on GOG.com

Dungeons & Dragons: Krynn Series:
-Champions of Krynn
-Death Knights of Krynn
-The Dark Queen of Krynn

Dungeons & Dragons: Krynn Series on GOG.com

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Series:
-Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
-Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Series on GOG.com

Dungeons & Dragons: Ravenloft Series:
-Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
-Ravenloft: Stone Prophet

Dungeons & Dragons: Ravenloft Series on GOG.com

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse:
Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse on GOG.com

D&D Stronghold: Kingdom Simulator:
D&D Stronghold: Kingdom Simulator on GOG.com

They also have the Lands of Lore series from Westwood Studios, and since Electronic Arts are the current rights owners, it's doubtful they will ever make it to Steam. The first game is a personal favourite:

Lands of Lore 1 + 2:
Lands of Lore™ 1+2 on GOG.com

Lands of Lore 3:
Lands of Lore 3 on GOG.com

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Ah, fantastic! Just the thread I was looking for. I'll be going over all these recommendations with great interest. Right now, I'm going through Broken Sword (1). I've also started a game of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis to play together with my partner. It's been really fun so far. Definitely holds up. Earlier today I got Arcanum all patched up and running in high res. Looking forward to that!

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Is there a reason the Jazz games don't go on sale? I've wanted to grab them but $15 CAD is just a bit too high to dive in

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Is there a reason the Jazz games don't go on sale? I've wanted to grab them but $15 CAD is just a bit too high to dive in
Maybe they will be on blitz-sale (but don't keep your hopes up, GoG sucks with old games deals for some reason - no bundles or game packs anymore :mad:)

Reactions: Madventure

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'll have a look through my GOG Library and see if there's anything worth a mention that hasn't been already.
Currently i'm trying to fight my inner Grognard by not buying "Gary Grigsby's War in the ..." which is mad complicated and well out of my comfort zone but i'm fascinated by it. The same with "Rule The Waves" and "Pike and Shot" but GG's games are big, mysterious and shiny to my magpie mind.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
I'm really tempted to get that Soldier of Fortune bundle, but I've also been looking at a cheap Xbox One S... decisions, decions.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'd love to see some mods recommendation for these old games. Or proper MIDI emulation setup. I recently setup my ScummVM games to be run out of RetroArch. It works quite well. Although I'm picking up some frame drops if I run RA via BPM for some unknown reason.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I think I'm gonna call it on Broken Sword (original version, not DC). Played up to the part when you return to Paris, and I wasn't really feeling it anymore. It's really stunning to look at even today, and the voice acting is quite entertaining, but the glacial pace of all the animations kinda got to me. Some of the puzzles I was beginning to encounter were getting too convoluted for my taste, so I looked ahead in a guide and it seems like there'd only be more of that (ah, adventure games). I've been enjoying Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis a lot more in comparison. Some really fun puzzles to be found there.

Edit: reflecting back on this, I think I may have also lost a lot of patience with games. My no. 1 complaint with games I've disliked the past year has been related to pacing or (animation) speed. Fate of Atlantis is generally pretty snappy but also there I looked up if it's possible to make the character move quicker or skip animations like in Thimbleweed :p

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Here are a couple of useful links for running old games:

GOG Forums - Often has advice for a game.
Vogons - Very Old Games On New Systems - I inevitably end up here at some point, can be a fantastic resource.
PC Gaming wiki
Vogons Wiki

Mod DB - Sometimes has mods for old games.
Sierra Help

When i get home i'll dig out links to the Weeds GM Soundbank, NGlide, and whatever else i have bookmarked that may be useful. Mods for DOS games tend to be all over the place i.e sites for game series or publishers etc. Vogons is the most centralised mod/patch/help site i know of.

If anyone knows any others i'll gladly update this post.

Last edited:

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
I'd love to see some mods recommendation for these old games.
Mostly you good with default setup, but make sure to run Dosbox Configurator (if there any) and check Keep Aspect Ratio box, i also love OpenGLnb graphic mode (nb - no bilinear filtering).
For deeper tuning you need to tinker .conf file and maybe replace dosbox with ece build (improved emulation of OPL3, emulation of the Roland MT-32 midi synthesizer, pixel-perfect output mode for undistorted scaling of the picture).
Roland SC-VA emulator is also very good for dos oldies!

:steam_pigblanket:

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Thanks for the suggestions, KainXVIII , EdwardTivrusky . I bought Diablo from the current sale, so I'm looking forward to modding it. I heard they have widescreen mod and patch for the Hellfire expansion. I think I still have my Hellfire disc somewhere too.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I've been really sick lately so I haven't been able to keep up with stuff unfortunately
I'll have to do another looky-loo at potential stuff that might get overlooked that is really cool (Well that at least I think is cool)
:steam_pigblanket:
Release: Combat Mission series
Nice!

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
When does the current sale end? I've been holding out on buying anything and the itch is just too great

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
When does the current sale end? I've been holding out on buying anything and the itch is just too great
The GOG Summer sale lasts until June 17, 10 PM UTC. (3:00 PM PST, 6 PM EST)

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Just figured I'd throw this in here as well since people might overlook it in other spots! The page for it came up recently

I've also not forgot about the other game suggestions just hard to keep up with everything on top of feeling unwell!

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Figured I would mention this upcoming game for GOG and that the sale is still going on!

Also this deal that ends soon (Summer Sale Festival lasts until June 17, 10 PM UTC)

Lets you buy a bundle of all of the CDPR games in a giant bundle on GOG + a Pre Order for CyberPunk 2077 for 87.77 USD (At least that's what it is the the USA)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings - Enhanced Edition
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
The Witcher Adventure Game
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
Cyberpunk 2077

If you already own any of the games you're given a giftable code for the game(s) that lasts for a yea after the purchase date and you also get all of the pre-order bonuses associated with 2077

CDPR also gets all of the money for the game if you buy it from GOG instead if you buy it from other places too so that's a bonus too

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I was looking at that bundle yesterday, it's pretty tempting.

Edit:
Quick Question.
I bought the Van Helsing bundle last week for £6, and now i'm looking at Grim Dawn which i played for free during the Spring Clean.
What Grim Dawn DLC is worth getting while the sale lasts?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Proud to say I'm now an owner of Bloodlines 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG. When buying games I always look for the best deal for me as a customer, and GOG usually comes out on top in that regard.

Can't wait to get me some DRM-free brand new AAA game goodness next year.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I was looking at that bundle yesterday, it's pretty tempting.

Edit:
Quick Question.
I bought the Van Helsing bundle last week for £6, and now i'm looking at Grim Dawn which i played for free during the Spring Clean.
What Grim Dawn DLC is worth getting while the sale lasts?
Hurray a question I can answer!

The DLC for Grim Dawn is pretty much summed up as followed:

Crucible = Endless Horde mode

Ashes of Malmouth = Direct continuation of the Main Storyline + Raises lvl cap + Adds Necromancers Class (It's a necromancer) + Inquisitor Classes (Inquisitors are really fun for ranged with lots of flashy special effect abilities

Forgotten Gods = Adds in an endless Dungeon system + Oathkeeper (Think of a paladin, they have an ability that is basically captain america shield throw) + Sort of whatever storyline

As far as what one to get?
If you can't get all of them I would honestly just get Ashes of Malmouth. Crucible is literally just a room that changes every time you go into it and is waves. I like Forgotten Gods a lot but I didn't like it nearly as much as Ashes of Malmouth. It felt a lot shorter and not nearly as challenging (All of my guys were max level and decked out) and the storyline was kind of "Oh thats near I guess, oh I remember him" It felt kind of like they just threw in people to go "Hey this guy is from here remember!

That's my suggestion at least

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Madventure Cheers, i ended up getting Grim Dawn and the two DLCs but skipped Crucible. You confirmed what i expected from the blurb and it didn't appeal to me. Going to clear up a couple of games first then start Grim Dawn. I might be bugging you for some build tips in a few weeks especially any fun OP builds, i love those.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
For those that bought and played The Witcher 3 at release on GOG, I'm assuming the game was patched at the same times as the Steam version, right?

Deleted member 113

I still have that, one of the few things that stayed in my collection.
I still have some of them myself. ;)
As I type this I'm seeing copies of Lands of Lore, several Ultima games (I forgot to mention, they are on GOG!), and more, on the right side of my desk.

Reactions: ISee

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I don't have much PC physical stuff left. Unreal Tournament 2004 CD version in small hard box, kinda nice, Icewind Dale in big box (this is probably the nicest looking one), Diablo 2 and expansion in big boxes, Dragon Age 1 somehow, Throne of Darkness somehow, Planescape Torment, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Ultima Online, TES Oblivion (I mean, we were coming off the Morrowind hype...), and most recently Wasteland 2 with the cloth map and stuff (I do regret that one, I should have backed one of the other games I kickstarted in the physical tier). And some other good stuff as promos from magazines, like Deus Ex and StarCraft II. But they're DVD style boxes, not their original boxes and marked as promos I believe. From consoles I've only kept Shenmue 1 & 2 DC.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I still have some of them myself. ;)
As I type this I'm seeing copies of Lands of Lore, several Ultima games (I forgot to mention, they are on GOG!), and more, on the right side of my desk.
I wish kid me would have paid more attention to the couple of original floppy drive games I had. I also have to admit, Schoolyard piracy was pretty normal back than, so it wasn't a huge collection in the first place, but some titles were lost over the years like monkey Island 1 and 2 :(

My old school, original CD collection is way bigger. Not huge but I have some treasures, like the original Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 releases, Fallout 1 and 2, the C&C1 and Red Alert, the Mechwarrior 2 and Mercenaries etc.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I wish kid me would have paid more attention to the couple of original floppy drive games I had. I also have to admit, Schoolyard piracy was pretty normal back than, so it wasn't a huge collection in the first place, but some titles were lost over the years like monkey Island 1 and 2 :(

My old school, original CD collection is way bigger. Not huge but I have some treasures, like the original Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 releases, Fallout 1 and 2, the C&C1 and Red Alert, the Mechwarrior 2 and Mercenaries etc.
God damn. I am jealous.
Do you have a machine or drive to actually use any of that?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
God damn. I am jealous.
Do you have a machine or drive to actually use any of that?
Don't be, it's not a great or big collection and everything is in terrible condition!

I bought a 3.5" USB drive some time ago, and tried some of the games in Dos Box, with Roland MT-32 emulation. They were working.
The 5.25" games... there are no USB solutions and no easy ways to connect an old drive.
But I'm playing with the idea of putting together my first PC with original drives and MT-32 emulation for some time now,
The CD games work fine with Dos Box and my "modern" Blu Ray drive.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Don't be, it's not a great or big collection and everything is in terrible condition!

I bought a 3.5" USB drive some time ago, and tried some of the games in Dos Box, with Roland MT-32 emulation. They were working.
The 5.25" games... there are no USB solutions and no easy ways to connect an old drive.
But I'm playing with the idea of putting together my first PC with original drives and MT-32 emulation for some time now,
The CD games work fine with Dos Box and my "modern" Blu Ray drive.
As i dont have anything from my 5.25/3.5 days, any collection that still works is enough to inspire jealousy in me. Would love to build a true retro machine, but dont have anything to actually play on it

For now i was just happy to open Jazz Jackrabbit and play that 1080p res

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Oh man. Reading this makes me kind of want to install something on floppy again just for the fun of it. I don't have a working drive, but I still have a shoebox of stuff. I have Dune 2 on floppy and it was good times in the day. (complete mess to play now)

Also a few years ago I realized that I still had Windows 95 on like 40 3.5" disks. It was in one of the boxes that I keep bringing with me through cross country moves without even looking at what's inside. I trashed that so hard it caught fire.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So I'm sort of copying this verbatim (I know sue me) but according to this guy GOG Galaxy 2.0 will be able to...

according to the German games magazine Gamestar, Microsoft allows an official integration into Galaxy 2.0. This means, that for example PC Game pass games can be installed, started and deleted with the GOG client. And we will probably see coss-platform chat with Xbox. GOG Galaxy 2.0: Die größte Innovation der E3 2019 ein Launcher

Which would be kind of cool I think

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So I'm sort of copying this verbatim (I know sue me) but according to this guy GOG Galaxy 2.0 will be able to...

If that's true, that is basically what they said they'd have in their trailer/post

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

Quick and dirty translation, with most of the important stuff

The idea behind GOG's new Launcher is to bring all our games and friends together in one app. This way we can manage our entire game collection , no matter if we own the titles on GOG, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Xbox or PS4.

With GOG Galaxy 2.0 there will be official integrations and community integrations. The former is a mutually supported collaboration to get the most out of the link.
Karwowski :"We showed our app to Phil Spencer, and he was excited about it. Platform merging is exactly what Microsoft wants to do as well. Integrating Game Pass games into Galaxy 2.0 is possible. However, we are also talking to all other platform holders and have received very positive feedback".

And if there is no official cooperation? GOG Galaxy 2.0 uses an open source system for its platform connection. Users can become active themselves that way. GOG Galaxy 2.0 is currently in the "Friends & Family Alpha". We have already seen almost every relevant platform in this alpha state, because of the community integrations (Steam, Battle.net, Uplay, EA Origin, PSN and the Epic Launcher).

Piotr Karwowski demonstrates this to us with his Battle.net account. He clicks on connect and the login window for Battle.net appears, even the Authenticator app is being used. After logging in to Blizzard, it only took a few seconds, for Piotr's Blizzard library and his Friends list to appear.

From this point on, we can act the same way as in the other launchers - we can play, install or delete our games. Piotr Karwowski demonstrates this with Firewatch, which he bought on Steam. One click on the »Play« icon, a Steam window appears briefly and one second later we're in the Firewatch main menu.

Faster than we remember it. Karwowski confirms our impression: "That's because we just omit all the Steam components that have nothing to do with starting the program." Once linked, the Galaxy library automatically updates itself as we buy a game on another platform,

But we can only buy GoG games with the new app. According to Karwowski, the buy integration to other shops is technically possible, but not planned for the time being. It requires complex negotiations with the other providers.

The rest is about how awesome it is going to be to merge trophies and statistics.