|OT| GOG - Old Games, New Games, Good Games!

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have faith in GOG. If they can polish GOG 2.0 before the release of Cyberpunk 2077, I believe players who bought the game on GOG will be seduced by the new design and come more often in their ecosystem to buy a game.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm really liking to have GOG2 as just a cataloguer of all the games I've played and owned. I won't mind buying more from GOG as a result of that.

Putting all consoles there.:D

But man those EGS games always being in the "recently played by others" is triggering me so much.XD

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Great thread. Love that GOG exists. Here's my GOG profile. I welcome every friend request :cat-heart-blob:

And my contribution for WL sharing. It's a bit thin tho.

Registered just a few days ago for GOG Galaxy beta. Very much like the idea of a unified launcher that automatically scrubs infos & images and creates visually pleasing client pages. Even emulated console games!
Didn't get any invite mail tho yet, oh well.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
What is the latest version number for the closed beta? I kept getting it wanting to update but it failed always. Tried to find any info on version number anywhere what everything I found was old, even on gogs own support pages.XD

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I know, I know I haven't been good at keeping up with stuff for GOG (I'll try and do a compilation post soon)

Heads up if you're on the fence on where to buy this gem, you can buy it and get two gems! (Until October 22nd)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Anyone else have problems with the integrations? I have to log in to everyone of those everytime I restart my computer and I've kind of stopped using GOG2 because of it.
Yeah, I've had issues with it. Decided to just wait until it's a little better before I carry on using it as my main client.

I think Playnite has the multiple launcher integration down much better than GOG's system, which is too complicated for its own good. Plus Playnite has a big picture mode too.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

GOG Halloween Sale has started!

Is a good highlight (Also it's 80% off, super cheap) really great game!

I'll try to peruse some other titles but that's one that instantly caught my eye (It was on my wishlist)

Deleted member 113

So, there's a few nice deals on GOG's current sale, especially the Jazz Jackrabbit collections, which are both 90% off:

Both games in the The Suffering series are 74% off:

I ended up buying a few games:

-Jazz Jackrabbit Collection
-Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Collection
-The Suffering
-The Suffering: Ties That Bind
-Albion
-Throne of Darkness

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
In huge news the best related content for Blade Runner in videogame form is available again legitimately after literal decades

Also the GOG Wintersale is currently going on!
It runs through December 11th to January 2nd (I know the post is a little bit late)

As of this post you're also able to get Postal 2 for free for the next 19 hours

There's also some GOG Connect Games available too!
So if you own any of the following titles on Steam you should be able to claim them to your GOG Account

(In case the image doesn't work they're: Age of Wonders: Planetfall, DUSK, Galazy Trucker: Extended Edition, Through the Ages)

If you would like suggestions on older games or if you want to offer suggestions feel free to hop in here! Just because I'm bad at updating doesn't mean you can't post in here
Woohoo GOG!

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
My need for the actual hard copies of some games that I bought because gog didn't yet exist, and these weren't available is coming back to haunt me nearly every time.

Reactions: ISee and Madventure
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Is also completely free

My need for the actual hard copies of some games that I bought because gog didn't yet exist, and these weren't available is coming back to haunt me nearly every time.
In the early 2000's I threw away big box copies of "old games" and now I desperately wish I had them back because they literally don't do stuff like that anymore

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Is also completely free

In the early 2000's I threw away big box copies of "old games" and now I desperately wish I had them back because they literally don't do stuff like that anymore
I try to stick with games that are unlikely to see digital releases where I can - activision/licensed titles are nearly a sure fire bet, even gog can't rescue those.

Reactions: ISee

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I've been wondering, in the friends leaderboard you can see how many achievements and how many hours your friends have, but there is also a third thing it counts but what is it?

Reactions: ISee
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I've been wondering, in the friends leaderboard you can see how many achievements and how many hours your friends have, but there is also a third thing it counts but what is it?
Pretty sure it's Games total, Achievements, Hours
In other news:

New games to GOG connect

Chasm, Bad North: Jotunn Edition, Hedon, & the others which were sort of already there

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Apparently these have now been made free:

And its sequel

On another note it looks like Throne Breaker Witcher Tales also had its price reduced permanently to 19.99 on GOG as well, I had noticed people mention that the price got reduced on steam to 19.99 so it looks like it's similarly happened after its most recently sale

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Woow pretty big news for GOG Today, they got the complete Dishonored Series and two Wolfensteins:

Along with more classic games:

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
They've basically revamped entirely their returns/refund system to be a full 30 days no time limit download do whatever for GOG, pretty amazing.
starting now, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it. That's it.
Explained in more detail at thier FAQ page: Update to our voluntary Refund Policy

Reactions: Kvik and lashman

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I fell though it still going to be like the old one, with only change is days. Meaning you can't just refund if yea don't like it. That is my experience. I got denied even though I was having technical issues and actually enjoyed the game.

Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I fell though it still going to be like the old one, with only change is days. Meaning you can't just refund if yea don't like it. That is my experience. I got denied even though I was having technical issues and actually enjoyed the game.
I mean the quoted part pretty much says the exact opposite of you're feeling so you'd have to buy a game to find out

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Developers didn't like 2 hour Steam refunds but had to adapt. I'm not being funny here, but GOG has realised that success is tied to service, so they are trying to provide a better service than Steam.

Customers keep being told they have to get used to new things that are making their lives worse (EGS, Stadia, and so on), with their concerns routinely dismissed by most. But as soon as the tables turn the developers bawl and cry, kicking and screaming on Twitter. Literally, the second anything pro-consumer is done they start moaning.

My sympathy for them was already threadbare. Meanwhile, GOG has justified me buying even more games on there.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I mean I can fully understand that but I always sort of revert back to:

I know it's essentially super niche in that sense but that dude can make it for longer than I've been alive I don't really know what they can't do.

One of the points he makes is that he thinks that the refund policies are too strict

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Devs don't have to like it for it to be a good policy. Coming out publicly against your audience doesn't help your cause.
Will continue to buy my games on GOG
How can one remove the number of refunds from the percentage you get per sale on a service, what's wrong with that guy? Maybe make games people don't wanna refund? He also counts discounts and shit as a full price sale that gives less %? Wtf? I don't get it. Plus, if his game takes less than 2 hours to complete then once again the change to 30 days does nothing, it's the same for all services in that scenario. And on gog if you want to pirate you can whether there is 30 days or 1 (buy game, download back up/offline/drm-free installer, refund before even installing it, never mind launching it for any amount of time, you're set), but this at least lets people who don't pirate use it on the occasion they genuinely need it, instead he wants the evil gamer to remain screwed over so he gets his, nice! It's like some indies are going the way big publishers were going in the days bullshit like starforce became the norm, but back then they were gamers and they were with us, now it's all about making the money you apparently preemptively deserve for your hard work at the expense of others or something.

Last edited:
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I mean another thing with a game that's literally 2 hours to beat, just watch it on youtube lol
Saved myself a refund and all that hassle or just google the ending

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
How can one remove the number of refunds from the percentage you get per sale on a service, what's wrong with that guy? Maybe make games people don't wanna refund? He also counts discounts and shit as a full price sale that gives less %? Wtf? I don't get it. Plus, if his game takes less than 2 hours to complete then once again the change to 30 days does nothing, it's the same for all services in that scenario. And on gog if you want to pirate you can whether there is 30 days or 1 (buy game, download back up/offline/drm-free installer, refund before even installing it, never mind launching it for any amount of time, you're set), but this at least lets people who don't pirate use it on the occasion they genuinely need it, instead he wants the evil gamer to remain screwed over so he gets his, nice! It's like some indies are going the way big publishers were going in the days bullshit like starforce became the norm, but back then they were gamers and they were with us, now it's all about making the money you apparently preemptively deserve for your hard work at the expense of others or something.
I mean, i'm not going to shit on devs for wanting to get paid for their work. I always want to be paid for the work I do, but his idea that somehow regional pricing et al effect his percentage the way he describes them in that tweet, I feel is incorrect. His percentage will still be 70%, just that the amount you're getting 70% of might be smaller.

I'm going to mangle this, but oh well: instead of getting 70% of a pie, they're getting 70% of a cupcake. Just because a cupcake is smaller than a pie doesn't change what 70% of of a pie and cupcake represents. Math doesn't change because you don't like it, 70% is still 70%.

That again isn't a reason to blame gamers for i)not being american and ii)wanting the best deal they can find, it's a reason to blame capitalism for how it works

FunnyJay