Support How do I be a part of the community?

Frecklestein

Tender, Violent and Queer.
Oct 23, 2018
I mean, I get I need to post more. But due to my mental health, I've always had issues keeping friends, it's been really hard. I always see communities, be it here or on Era, and I'm just envious. I've always been low income, so it's hard for me to keep up with the hottest new things on the market. I'm not knowledgeable enough about things to bring anything new to the table in discussions, really. Not that it's the driving force, but just seeing folks give each other games for example is crazy to me, especially with how nonchalant you all are.

I've just been going through a lot lately and my mental health has been rough, it always seems to rear it's ugly head, it makes me become reclusive, and then I lose touch rinse and repeat. I want to get to know you guys better and try. I want to be apart of something. It's genuinely heartwarming to see people just have one another's backs.

I'm just going through a lot right now, and I just really need a community, some friends if I'm lucky.

:wd_comfy:

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
You don't have to be playing the latest games to feel welcome.

Everyone's backlogs are growing bigger n bigger and so many hidden gems even from years ago go under radar.

If your playing a game just open a thread or join the steam thread n chat bout it people will willingly chat n discuss bout it.

This can apply for any other entertainment too.

Thats one thing i think a forum has over places like discord

doogles

Oct 6, 2018
I'm not as active around here as I'd like to be, either. Just know that the hype treadmill is massively overrated. Save your money and play the games you want to play.

If you want a friend, you can always DM me or, more usefully, follow me on Twitter! I'm talking about Tetris 99 a lot these days. I think my Twitter is in my bio.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I mean, I get I need to post more.
yes, that's definitely a good place to start :) particularly in the Steam thread, since that's where most people are active :)

I've always been low income, so it's hard for me to keep up with the hottest new things on the market.
believe it or not - so am i ... i can barely afford food most of the time (and sometimes not even that) ... also my PC is like 7 years old at this point and falling apart ;)

I'm not knowledgeable enough about things to bring anything new to the table in discussions, really.
do you play games? at all? yes? in that case - you are DEFINITELY knowledgable enough :) and then some!

Not that it's the driving force, but just seeing folks give each other games for example is crazy to me, especially with how nonchalant you all are.
most of the time people are just getting rid of bundle spares anyway :) also - doing giveaways is not a requirement ... i don't do any (because i can't afford it) and i don't take part in any either ... and yet - i'm still here, posting :)

I've just been going through a lot lately and my mental health has been rough, it always seems to rear it's ugly head, it makes me become reclusive, and then I lose touch rinse and repeat. I want to get to know you guys better and try. I want to be apart of something. It's genuinely heartwarming to see people just have one another's backs.
that's what we're all here for ... to talk about games and stuff ... and to support each other :) never be afraid to talk to anyone in here ... or ask for help, remember!

:wd_heart:

and all of the above goes to everyone in here, by the way! :)

OP
Frecklestein

Frecklestein

Oct 23, 2018
You don't have to be playing the latest games to feel welcome.

Everyone's backlogs are growing bigger n bigger and so many hidden gems even from years ago go under radar.

If your playing a game just open a thread or join the steam thread n chat bout it people will willingly chat n discuss bout it.

This can apply for any other entertainment too.

Thats one thing i think a forum has over places like discord
Of course. My income issues have been great for chipping away at the backlog, so you're right when it comes to that.

As for the discord issue, I agree. I've tried to get into it, but it sometimes just feels like rapid and it's hard to find a point to jump in, in any meaningful way.

I'm not as active around here as I'd like to be, either. Just know that the hype treadmill is massively overrated. Save your money and play the games you want to play.

If you want a friend, you can always DM me or, more usefully, follow me on Twitter! I'm talking about Tetris 99 a lot these days. I think my Twitter is in my bio.
I've been trying Tetris 99, but my membership literally runs out tomorrow. It's really fun, actually. I'm terrible at it though, I get the concept, but I'm just not as fast with it as I'd like to be. I've placed top five a handful of times, but that's about it.
Post automatically merged:

yes, that's definitely a good place to start :) particularly in the Steam thread, since that's where most people are active :)

believe it or not - so am i ... i can barely afford food most of the time (and sometimes not even that) ... also my PC is like 7 years old at this point and falling apart ;)

do you play games? at all? yes? in that case - you are DEFINITELY knowledgable enough :) and then some!

most of the time people are just getting rid of bundle spares anyway :) also - doing giveaways is not a requirement ... i don't do any (because i can't afford it) and i don't take part in any either ... and yet - i'm still here, posting :)

that's what we're all here for ... to talk about games and stuff ... and to support each other :) never be afraid to talk to anyone in here ... or ask for help, remember!

and all of the above goes to everyone in here, by the way! :)
Thank you, Lash. This all means a lot. I'll try to be around more and play more. God knows I have the time for it these days.

Emojis wont load
.-.

So just imagine me hugging you back.

Last edited:
OP
Frecklestein

Frecklestein

Oct 23, 2018
Yea please don't try thinking your giveaways have to be like mine :D

And anyone here is welcome to join them
I think I'd be afraid if I'd manage to win anything, risking what little luck I have on it. Thank you, I will try to give back when and where I can, even if it's just bundle extras.

:giggle:

and here's your hug lashman

Casper

Jan 20, 2019
I can understand the feeling that Discord is a bit fast sometimes, and can be overwhelming. I have a small group of friends that enjoy games, we play some, we talk about others, and so on. I always seemed to be the one that was watching trailers, hearing news, just generally... keeping up with things. So they'd always ask me questions, often the same questions, often at the same time... via text.

It just made more sense to me to get us all on a small Discord server, where they could come and go, grab the information they usually missed and I could answer all of their questions in one place.

I was not prepared with how alien simply using Discord instead of MMS would be for them all. It's been a struggle and this is with just a few people. The PC Discord gets nuts at times, and watch out in some of the massively populated more 'hype' games' Discords. It's headspinning at times trying to keep up.

All I can suggest, at least in the PC Discord if you are there, is just pop in when you want. Chime in when you want with what you want, and with what you are thinking. Sometimes it can feel like you aren't getting a response, like you are talking to a strange 'internet room of people' and no one is talking back.

Go in with no expectations. Just speak your mind. If it doesn't spark more conversation or anything, maybe next time. Don't let it intimidate you, just be you and the conversations and interactions will come.

We're all here because of a shared interest at the very least!

Oh... and no one does giveaways like Queen. No one.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Just talk about whatever you want to talk and let the rest naturally come to play.

Unless you're a piece of shit (which you aren't, to my knowledge) you'll have no issues fitting in somewhere, be it era or here, just try to become a bit more talkative, since talking Is the only thing you can really do on a forum.

Happy welcome 🤗

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
You know what Frecklestein, even with a good income doesn't mean that people will play the latest games. I have a good job with quite good salary. But it doesn't matter that I am play the latest games. I don't even play last year games unless it's something I really want to play. It's because I don't have time to play because of life.

There are some people with different kind of illness uses gaming as rehabilitation. So if you have a game that you really like, maybe it can help you with your health

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
All I can suggest, at least in the PC Discord if you are there, is just pop in when you want. Chime in when you want with what you want, and with what you are thinking. Sometimes it can feel like you aren't getting a response, like you are talking to a strange 'internet room of people' and no one is talking back.

Go in with no expectations. Just speak your mind. If it doesn't spark more conversation or anything, maybe next time. Don't let it intimidate you, just be you and the conversations and interactions will come.
This is great advice. Don't take it personal if nobody replies to you (I know, easier said than done), and don't feel forced to post yourself if you're not feeling like it. If you see an interesting conversation going on, feel free to participate! It doesn't matter whether you play the latest games or haven't gotten past the Sega Genesis, all that matters is that you enjoy talking about it.

OP
Frecklestein

Frecklestein

Oct 23, 2018
Just talk about whatever you want to talk and let the rest naturally come to play.

Unless you're a piece of shit (which you aren't, to my knowledge) you'll have no issues fitting in somewhere, be it era or here, just try to become a bit more talkative, since talking Is the only thing you can really do on a forum.

Happy welcome 🤗
Yeah, you don't have to worry about me being a piece of shit :p I'm pretty vocal about shit like Kingdom Come, Sugiyama and the like

You know what Frecklestein, even with a good income doesn't mean that people will play the latest games. I have a good job with quite good salary. But it doesn't matter that I am play the latest games. I don't even play last year games unless it's something I really want to play. It's because I don't have time to play because of life.

There are some people with different kind of illness uses gaming as rehabilitation. So if you have a game that you really like, maybe it can help you with your health
Sometimes it's just hard for me, where it kinda consumes a LOT of my time and I play an unhealthy amount. Which I guess is fine given my current situation, but I don't want to have it leak into my life in a negative manner in the future when things hopefully pick up for me again.

This is great advice. Don't take it personal if nobody replies to you (I know, easier said than done), and don't feel forced to post yourself if you're not feeling like it. If you see an interesting conversation going on, feel free to participate! It doesn't matter whether you play the latest games or haven't gotten past the Sega Genesis, all that matters is that you enjoy talking about it.
I just get into this bad habit of typing something up and then just getting discouraged and deleting it.

It's all fine my dude. You're among like-minded people here.
Don't feel pressured into living up to others.
The more you comes through, the easier you'll feel comfortable.
:hugging-face:
Thank you, Veggie. I probably need to make use of your mental health thread once I get over the fear of sharing my life on the internet.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
You only get to know people by talking to them, or listening I guess. I got like anxiety issues and take pills and shit, but even so it spills over to the internet when you don't even gotta meet people face to face. So I only end up getting comfy around people I see and talk to or listen to on the regular.

Helps to talk about interests. Everyone I met who I could call a friend at this point shares some type of common interest with me. Even though I hate or dislike or don't care for like 99% of the internet, you gotta put yourself out there a little bit here and there to meet the 1% you can actually get along with. If you can't even do that you end up in a loop like you are now. I think it's common thing actually for anxious people, I fall into the loop a lot myself and lost a lot of old friends because of it. (Lack of communication over time.)

Probably lose more in the future. Disappear from the forums for days at a time. Sometimes just need some alone time. ... but well, as long you put yourself out there sometimes, you'll usually find someone willing to listen. :whistle:

Keep tryin' is all I can say. That's how I do.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Hey,

I read your story on resetera and just thought of that feeling where you feel like you are at the bottom of a pit, it's dark and can be lonely and all it feels like is that all you are doing is clawing at loose sand all around you, and not getting anywhere. You frantically scrapping the sides feeling like no progress is being made, maybe even the weight of giving up is bearing down on you. I'm telling you now though, that you will look down in time and see that it wasn't for nothing, that loose sand has become harder and and raised until eventually you are out and free.

Reactions: fsdood and lashman
OP
Frecklestein

Frecklestein

Oct 23, 2018
I just want to thank everyone. And I guess bump this to show all of our new posters. I've come a long way since I made this, and I've felt very welcomed and supported here. I feel like I typically get lost on other forums, or there's just long standing "groups" and I couldn't really make my way into them. But here it's been effortless.

I hope others find it the same. c: And if anyone needs friends or someone to talk to, I'm here for ya. Don't be a stranger!

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
This is a wonderful thread, thank you for sharing Frecklestein. I've been through much of the same over the years. It's why I haven't really posted on any boards since the mid 2000's.

I deal with severe depression, suicidal thoughts and low self esteem on an almost daily basis and it's a constant struggle. I'm not particularly interesting and I'm pretty poor money wise as well.

But I have to agree with everyone that says to just be you. I try my best to stay optimistic and be as friendly and helpful as possible. While it hasn't turned into me making a bunch of friends, it's just who I am. I'd rather spread good where I can instead of pulling others into the darkness I'm always fighting.

At least as much as I can help it. We all have that moment where it slips through. Hopefully there's folks around that can help you through it or at least tell you it will be okay.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I just want to thank everyone. And I guess bump this to show all of our new posters. I've come a long way since I made this, and I've felt very welcomed and supported here. I feel like I typically get lost on other forums, or there's just long standing "groups" and I couldn't really make my way into them. But here it's been effortless.

I hope others find it the same. c: And if anyone needs friends or someone to talk to, I'm here for ya. Don't be a stranger!
glad it all turned out well for you! :)

I'm not particularly interesting
nonsense ... everyone is interesting in their own way! :)