News Humble Monthly is dead, welcome Humble Choice

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019

Previous monthly subscribers are grandfathered in with a secret loyalthy plan where you get everything in the Premium+ Tier, but you're also only paying $12/month, and you get 10 games per month instead of 9.

The first wave of titles only has 10 games, so you get the whole lot.

Opening titles are:

I have Phantom Doctrine wishlisted anyway, so this months a get rather than a pause, and I personally prefer a more interesting / indie / under the radar selection than a couple of 'tentpole' slightly aged AAAs in that awkward period between that first month when people who care bought it, and that 9 months later big banner sale discount.

Last edited:

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
definitely weak. Some decent indie games but if you already have 1 or 2 of them it doesnt seem like much of a deal. Blasphemous is on my wish list so I will probably keep this month.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I'm surprised to see Blasphemous on yard sale already. I wonder if a paid DLC is imminent. I was under the impression that the game was selling well.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

It wasn't a bad month.
I'm missing 5 of the games, and Horizon Chase Turbo, Dark Future: Blood Red States and Desert Child were all high on my wishlist (Dead In Vinland and X-Morph were on my wishlist as well).

It ended up being far better for me that past monthly bundles, with which I was lucky if there were one or two games I was missing.

I wouldn't purchase this new bundle for the new price, but for $12, I'm happy.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman
OP
Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
I mean... from the perspective of someone grandfathered in, its an okay-to-good Monthly.
From the perspective of someone who's never heard of Humble before and thinking about signing up and seeing what you get for those prices...

Reactions: C-Dub

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
When I initially saw the look my first reaction was "that's it?", but honestly after reflecting a bit and looking at the games a bit more I came to the conclusion that for me this bundle is, on a whole, better than the last couple Monthlies. I had none of the games, and Blasphemious, Dead in Vinland, Phantom Doctrine and Aegis Defenders wishlisted.

I very much appreciate that there's no mystery element any more, for one because you can better decide if you want to buy it, and for two because let's face it, for quite a while the mystery unlocks have mostly have been whatever. While the early unlocks of some previous months have been more of a "whoa" than this, I feel the average quality of all the games included here is better. I prefer more "mid-tier" indies instead of "1 or 2 AAA/high-tier indies, maybe 1 mid-tier and fill the rest with whatever /shrug".

Of course I'm speaking as a Humble Grandfather, I don't think I would have bought it with the new pricing tiers.
Part of the appeal for those bundles for me is also that get some games I have not heard about but look interesting and be able to try them out, and the grandfather plan is very nice for this if this if the average bundle quality stays at least like this.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It's pretty meh to start, but I'm subscribed until March so I'm going to take each month from them and see how I feel when it's time to pay $12 per month again.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
It's an ok bundles with Blasphemous, but I'm still internally debating whether to pause or not.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Even if there are some games that are not my types of games I still find the first Choice bundle quite good. I hope that Humble keep up the quality of games in the future bundles

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
The only one I had is Tomb Raider and I still feel pretty meh.

But I'll stay on this for at least a few months and see if it picks up.

Erekiddo

Dec 31, 2018
I definitely think people give Humble Bundle too much grief for their selections as of late. Sure, we got some stinkers - but we also got some higher quality games that came out pretty recently.

Add the fact that we get to keep the games if/when our subscription lapses, I consider this a steal.

Reactions: Kvik

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
It's been 4 months, I thought it would be interesting to revisit this topic now. What does everyone think about Choice now? Did your opinion change?

For me personally it's been very good. I've bought 3 out of 4 of the bundles. That's a much higher purchase rate that I had with Monthlies.
Even the 1 bundle I didn't buy (Graveyard Keeper, Street Fighter, 2Point, etc) I thought was pretty good value, but just didn't have my type of games.

Reactions: Kvik and Pommes

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It's been 4 months, I thought it would be interesting to revisit this topic now. What does everyone think about Choice now? Did your opinion change?

For me personally it's been very good. I've bought 3 out of 4 of the bundles. That's a much higher purchase rate that I had with Monthlies.
Even the 1 bundle I didn't buy (Graveyard Keeper, Street Fighter, 2Point, etc) I thought was pretty good value, but just didn't have my type of games.
Yeah I quite like it, mostly because having to choose games means one can not choose games one already owns. So while I often have to choose games I have no interest in, at least it's a +1.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I keep pausing it. As I explained here I am on the old classic plan, but with yearly payment, meaning whenever I decide to unpause, it will be expensive (at first), and so far no game seemed offered in Choice seemed worth that initial investment. But generally I like the idea.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I've bought 3 of the 4 so far which is a pretty good considering I'd only bought 4 monthlies in total before the change. Previously the highlighted games usually just weren't for me so i skipped only to see I missed out on some good unrevealed titles. Now I can actually see those in the package I'm jumping in a lot more.

I am on the classic plan though, might not see the value on the other plans.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I've bought them all, all have been amazing if you don't own the games already though owning frostpunk, pathfinder and book of demons last month was decent, maybe not great for me. This month was awesome, 5 on my wish-list, 3 that should have been (F1 2019, coaster and turok) and two other games that look OK.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I've bought 3 of the 4 so far which is a pretty good considering I'd only bought 4 monthlies in total before the change. Previously the highlighted games usually just weren't for me so i skipped only to see I missed out on some good unrevealed titles. Now I can actually see those in the package I'm jumping in a lot more.

I am on the classic plan though, might not see the value on the other plans.
Yeah, seeing all games up front is a huge improvement.
Like, this months headliner (Planet Coaster, F1, Pedro) didn't really interest me, but there were many games I wanted among the others.
(And I still think having to show all games upfront has lead to higher "average quality" of the games in the bundle.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I've paused for the current month as nothing in there interests me, but I have been reasonably happy with the other Choice months. Basically, if I get one game in each Choice bundle that, if purchased at full price, eats away at most or all of the cost of the bundle, then I'm happy. As for the other games, I either play them down the line or farm them for cards next time I fancy setting up ASF.