Discussion I finally want to finish BoTW but I'm having a dilemma with CEMU vs Switch

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
To make a very long story short I got BotW with my Switch on launch day and absolutely adore the game. I went in basically blind, played without fast travel, the map and most of the HUD disabled and had the most immersive gaming experience I've had in a very long time. I took my time with the game since I didn't want to rush through through it and rather enjoy every moment but unfortunately the following summer a negative life-changing event happened for me that made me completely lose my bearings and I haven't really touched the game since. Now three years later I feel mostly fine again and especially with the news of Hyrule Warriors 2 coming this year I want to finally tackle BotW again.

I'm just having a dilemma on how to play the game now. A while ago I purchased a used Wii U copy, dumped the game and messed around with it in CEMU. I didn't play the game really but just wanted to see how the game runs and how much it's improved compared to running it on the Switch. Turns out I can run the game at 1440p 60fps with most extra bells and whistles but it also somehow feels wrong to just abandon my Switch save and start over here.

I'm aware that by now I could dump my Switch save and convert it for CEMU I think but I really don't want to hack my current Switch even temporary since I'm afraid of making a mistake and getting banned from online play. I'm not the only person using my Switch, it gets used online alot and also with regards to Animal Crossing I don't want to risk losing my island. With the new consoles releasing soon among new GPUs and CPUs and a potential 4k Switch in 2021 I also really don't want to buy a second Switch if get it banned, that would sting financially.

Now I don't want anyone to make any decisions for me or anything like that although I am curious if someone else was in a similar situation and what they decided to do.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I don't know much about emulation and hacking, but I do want to suggest two more factors for you to consider.

1. Can you access to the DLC through emulation? The DLC (especially second one) is worth playing. It would be a big loss if you are not able to access it.

2. Can you accept playing the sequel in original performance (ie. 1080p / 720p 30fps) after finishing the game at 1440p 60fps? I doubt the sequel will be ready for emulation on day 1 so you will need to play it on switch.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
If the Wii-u version is working well in emulation then I would stick with that, although I am not sure of the differences between switch and Wii-u versions besides resolution and framerate which would naturally be solved and improved with emulation. Personally I am playing the game on my switch as my cpu is not up to scratch for emulation.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
FWIW, I played the entire game in CEMU at 3440x1440 with 60 FPS and it was glorious, but I also hate abandoning a save in game like tnis so I understand your dilemma!

2. Can you accept playing the sequel in original performance (ie. 1080p / 720p 30fps) after finishing the game at 1440p 60fps? I doubt the sequel will be ready for emulation on day 1 so you will need to play it on switch.
I thought so too a year ago, but given current progress on Yuzu and Ryujinx I'm not sure anymore. Maybe not day 1 but it could well be possible month 1.

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I played through the game on Switch when it came out. It's a great way to play the game.

Finished the game again using CEMU last year with 2160p and 60fps, it was a better way to play the game. Went through the DLC using CEMU as well.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
FWIW, I played the entire game in CEMU at 3440x1440 with 60 FPS and it was glorious, but I also hate abandoning a save in game like tnis so I understand your dilemma!

I thought so too a year ago, but given current progress on Yuzu and Ryujinx I'm not sure anymore. Maybe not day 1 but it could well be possible month 1.
That's great for people who are into emulation. :cat-heart-blob:

Reactions: SkyStarblaze
OP
SkyStarblaze

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
Thanks for the plenty replies!

I don't know much about emulation and hacking, but I do want to suggest two more factors for you to consider.

1. Can you access to the DLC through emulation? The DLC (especially second one) is worth playing. It would be a big loss if you are not able to access it.

Yes the DLC should be no problem provided I buy them on the Wii U eShop. I don't have the DLC on Switch yet so I wouldn't buy it twice. And your second point is definitely something I haven't thought about but thankfully it's quite easy for me to go back to worse performance. I mean I'm used to gaming beyond 60fps on my PC and I can still play Drakengard 3 just fine :p

Yeah if it would be a linear game I would just start over and be done with it but BotW is so "create your own adventure" that each playthrough will be quite unique, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

In your case, I'd say just restart on CEMU. It's been three years since you played it and you most probably have forgotten most of the stuff anyway.
You aren't wrong!

After thinking a bit more about things and reading the replies here I came to the conclusion I'll likely just do both ways in a way!

I'll pick up my Switch save again and see how I feel about it, if I don't feel lost and am fine with everything I'll keep playing it. If I do feel lost I'll just restart on CEMU. And should I go with the Switch and finish it there I can still play the DLC mode on CEMU too. The Master Trials don't require any sort of previous save right?

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I see you have come up with a plan but for what its worth....

I played it through Once on the Wiiu and then later did a whle new playthrough using Cemu and hands down it was much better overall through Cemu. There were a few little issues when i played it, One of the boss fights would softlock due to it running at 60fps so i had to drop it down just for that and some of the temples weren't completable due to the motion giro control (which i think now you can set up a DS4 to handle).

Still would recommend a Cemu playthrough though. It looked amazing.

Reactions: SkyStarblaze
OP
SkyStarblaze

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
I see you have come up with a plan but for what its worth....

I played it through Once on the Wiiu and then later did a whle new playthrough using Cemu and hands down it was much better overall through Cemu. There were a few little issues when i played it, One of the boss fights would softlock due to it running at 60fps so i had to drop it down just for that and some of the temples weren't completable due to the motion giro control (which i think now you can set up a DS4 to handle).

Still would recommend a Cemu playthrough though. It looked amazing.
That's good to know! I'll definitely do a CEMU playthough eventually either way thanks to all the mods! And yeah I have gyro-controls working with my DS4 just fine, even with a matching DS4 texture mod.

Reactions: Joe Spangle