Opinion If Microsoft removed MP from Gold, how could they restructure it to make it worthwhile?

Shpeshal Nick

I see you on televishaaaan!
Sep 20, 2018
Melbourne
Hypothetically, if Microsoft decided that GamePass was doing well enough to justify removing multiplayer from behind the paywall, what do you think they could do to Gold to still keep subscribers?

The only thing that comes to mind for me is if they completely restructure it into a discount program and an aggressive one.

- Keep the 4 free games but maybe make the Xbox One games permanent as well as the 360/OG Games
- Drop the price by $10
- Give a fixed 10% Discount on all digital items
- Like now, have sales where Gold subscribers get an extra percentage on top of the sale price
- Gold exclusive flash sales

I feel like all of the above combined would be enough for a decent amount of retention.

Any other ideas? O is there just no hope?

Reactions: lashman

Maxi

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I don't think there is any hope just due to how well the service is doing with paid subscriptions for multiplayer and for the majority that is probably the major pulling point.

I could only see it change if they did a full restructure which may well happen for the new gen or further down the line during the new gen. Where there is a cheap package that would get limited service to Gamepass or games a month after release along with games with gold and some of the additional services with basic game streaming package (more cloud space etc) and then the full package which give the below but an even more expanded Gamepass library and their game streaming service.

But I doubt it will as the subscriptions numbers are still very high with MP being the majority reason why people have their subscriptions.

OP
Shpeshal Nick

Shpeshal Nick

I see you on televishaaaan!
Sep 20, 2018
Melbourne
Which is why I was outlining a hypothetical.

LEt's work under the hypothetical that they DO drop the MP from the paywall.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Which is why I was outlining a hypothetical.

LEt's work under the hypothetical that they DO drop the MP from the paywall.
if they did that - they'd probably just transform whatever's left of it into "Game Pass Premium" or something

you'd have standard gamepass the way it is now and a "premium" one with all the other stuff you mentioned added on top of it