Discussion JRPG folks, what are you getting in 2024 and beyond?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Is your wallet (and life) ready for the 2024 onslaught?

2022 thread
2023 thread

Three Kingdoms Zhao Yun - January 18
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth - January 26

Granblue Fantasy: Relink - February 1
Persona 3 Reload - February 2
Dragon Quest Builders - February 13
Yohane the Parhelion - NUMAZU in the MIRAGE - February 22
Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island (Switch) - February 27
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5) - February 29

Unicorn Overlord (Consoles) - March 8
The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered - March 23

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - April 23
SaGa: Emerald Beyond - April 25
Sand Land - April 26

C.A.R.D.S. RPG: The Misty Battlefield - May 23

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - June 21
Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance - June 21

Monster Hunter Stories - Summer 2024
The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak - Summer 2024
Metaphor: ReFantazio - Fall 2024
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2024
Suikoken I&II HD Remaster - 2024
Ys X: Nordics - 2024

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I'll probably grab Infinite Wealth one of these days, but I want to play the rest of the series that I haven't yet (Yakuza 0 through 6, and the Kiryu game that released last year) before I get started on the latest one, so I probably won't be grabbing it for some time.

I also just finished Persona 3 Reload, which was worth the time and money, so I'm actually pretty happy as far as JRPGs go for 2024. But I'll probably grab a few more:
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (when it releases on Steam - I'm hoping that's this year)
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (I'm interested in this, so I'll see how reviews and player impressions play out)
  • Monster Hunter Stories (I have this on iOS via Apple Arcade, but I'm not planning to renew my subscription once my free trial expires so I'll probably pick this up if I don't get around to it on my iDevices)
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio (I'll pre-order this the second it's available - this will almost certainly be my late-'24 game)
I've been thinking about SMTV: Vengeance, but it just doesn't interest me. I think in terms of art direction/visuals it looks horrible, and I've heard the game is pretty mid anyway. Not sure what a re-release with Atlus girl is going to do to make it worth my time.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Elden Ring is not a JRPG, fight me :p. Obviously playing Shadow of the Erdtree though.

That aside, I'm primarily excited for Eiyuden Chronicle (I backed it).
I'm also looking forward to playing Daybreak, but I doubt I'll get to it this year (even though I'm currently making good progress in Azure). I'll be happy if I manage to get to Reverie this year.

Towards the end of the year I'm really looking forward to Ys X, though that's another one where I'm not sure if I'll get to actually playing it this year.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Forgot to write what I consider getting on day 1.

1. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. Judging from the trailers and content available, it is obvious that the development team put a lot of heart and effort into this game, so I have a pretty good feeling about it. Also sad to see how the head of the team was not able to make it to see his work coming to fruition. Rest in peace, Maruyama-san.

2. Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance. Have been waiting for the PC version for a long time, so I am ready to pick this up at launch. So excited!

Apart from these two day 1 games, I plan to pick up a lot of others on the list in the future. Also need to do some catch-ups on some releases from previous year.

Reactions: C-Dub

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I already finished Persona 3 Reload. I bought Granblue Relink and am buying the new Shiren, but I don't know when I'll get around to them.

Must plays are FF7 Rebirth, Unicorn Overlord, Erdtree and Metaphor. Probably plays are SaGa, Ys X, Eiyuden Chronicle, and Suikoden 1/2 (if it actually comes out this year)

Yakuza 8 is on the "I want to, but I don't know if I ever will" list. I kind of have a hateboner for SMT V, but I might grab Vengeance for cheap at some point.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Persona 3 Reload
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)
Unicorn Overlord (Consoles)
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree
Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance
Metaphor: ReFantazio

Not buying anything on release or probably even 2024, just when I have time, they're cheaper or there is a PC release.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth - already been playing this one, think i'm probably like ~75% or so into it at the moment

Unicorn Overlord - i'm interested in this one and would maybe get it day 1 if there wasn't so much other stuff I was interested in, will probably get it at some point later on when I have more time and it gets a sale

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - getting this one, i've actually never gotten around to playing any of the Suikoden games but between general tastes and playing and enjoying what was essentially a Suikoden fangame a decade or so ago(Exit Fate) i'm pretty confident i'll be into this

SaGa: Emerald Beyond - Scarlet Grace is the only SaGa game i've ever played but I liked it and this appears to build off of that which is exactly what I wanted out of the series

The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak - I liked Reverie but it'll be nice to finally get a full game in this series with a new cast

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - I have a ton of nostalgia for this game, interested to see if they end up adding any new content to it, we do know they're adding some new NPCs

Suikoken I&II HD Remaster - see Eiyuden

that's a lot of games, probably the most JRPGs i've ever been interested in in a year and it's not even counting some other possible unannounced stuff like the long rumored Fire Emblem 4 remake which would also be a day 1 buy for me

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm almost envious of not having played any Suikoden games. It's been a very long time, but at least in my memory Suikoden II is a 10/10 game, and the others are 9/10s or 8/10s.

• Gib