|OT| Le Pertti does YouTube

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So this is a complex chain reaction of many things that lead me to this place. I have wanted to do video form on the internet for something like 10 years now but always chickened out, always having the excuses, "not having clear niche yet" , "my productions values aren't good" etc.

Biggest change to my thinking was when I have been trying to see what it takes to get anywhere in the artworld and what they look for, it is artists with an online presence and I realised I just can't keep hiding in isolation. I live on the internet and should actually make it my home already.

While the artworld was a catalyst, it isn't the reason why I want to do online video in various forms. It isn't about fame nor money but to learn to be a better me. Yes! It is true that biggest drive is self-improvement. If I can manage to learn and get in the practise to be social and outgoing then that is a huge win for me as a person.

So! The point of this thread, for you all to tell me all the secrets and tips on how to be a good 'tuber and twitcher!:D

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You are braver than me :anguished-face:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I just arrived for the final stretch but kudos to you.

• Hug
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I just arrived for the final stretch but kudos to you.
This whole journey is something I will try to give a few years, so hopefully I become much more comfortable with doing stuff like this. But don't feel it was a complete disaster. It is said, that if you don't cringe at your early stuff then you havent improved.:D

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Was considering to stream on YouTube. Since I plan on doing YouTube for videos might as well do the streaming there too. Might be better to just concentrate on one platform?

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Was considering to stream on YouTube. Since I plan on doing YouTube for videos might as well do the streaming there too. Might be better to just concentrate on one platform?
Youtube is good for shorter edited content IMO, you can try streaming on both at the same time using something like restream, but I don't think you can monetize if you do tho'.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Youtube is good for shorter edited content IMO, you can try streaming on both at the same time using something like restream, but I don't think you can monetize if you do tho'.
Yeah I realised that xbox doesn't even have YouTube streaming. I'm just trying to throw things at the wall and will do for some time till I find what works for me. Thinking now for stream Ill use twitch for games and YouTube for maybe when I edit photos and such.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I don't watch much Twitch at all as most of the streamers i watch stream on Youtube now but a decent amount of Twitch Streamers put a lot of their VODs up on Youtube as a backup and develop a decent following there too. It's where i catch most of the Twitch content i end up watching.

Nothing stopping you having a gaming channel for your streamed content/VODs and a main channel for your photography and editing content. It's a bit of extra work but might be worth considering.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I don't watch much Twitch at all as most of the streamers i watch stream on Youtube now but a decent amount of Twitch Streamers put a lot of their VODs up on Youtube as a backup and develop a decent following there too. It's where i catch most of the Twitch content i end up watching.

Nothing stopping you having a gaming channel for your streamed content/VODs and a main channel for your photography and editing content. It's a bit of extra work but might be worth considering.
Yeah that is something I have to consider. But I think I will start putting everything on the same channel, gaming and photography and everything, to see how it works.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah that is something I have to consider. But I think I will start putting everything on the same channel, gaming and photography and everything, to see how it works.
Make tags for the different content types and also keep playlists to keep the content separated so people who want the gaming vids don't end up watching an editing video halfway through watching a bunch of content and vice versa. It's annoying to pick out technical content from a channel that does other stuff too if they haven't tagged or created playlists.

• This!
Reactions: DriftedPlanet
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Make tags for the different content types and also keep playlists to keep the content separated so people who want the gaming vids don't end up watching an editing video halfway through watching a bunch of content and vice versa. It's annoying to pick out technical content from a channel that does other stuff too if they haven't tagged or created playlists.
Yeah, I'm also going to colour code the videos also, not sure exactly how, but like a frame of colour on the thumbnail that corresponds to video type. Sure it can be confusing first but should be easy to pick up on. I'll put the types and colours in the header too just to be clear.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Try to choose from a colour-blind friendly palette from the start. It'll be good design challenge as well as accessible for people.
Damn, that sounded preachy, lol. I don't mean it like that it's just a nice consideration if you're starting with no definitive design in your mind at all.

Reactions: Li Kao
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I kept messing up my recordings and had to redo them and in the end I forgot to say lots of stuff in the video haha, but I fucking finally did it! Its not good but I rather just start and get better than not do it. I can make better intros later that go more into stuff I do but I wanted to at least do a first.

Here it is!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Yup, practise, practise, practise will obviously help sharpen your skills but also get used to being on the other side of a camera so eventually it becomes natural. Many people just sit there with a camera in place while they do mundane things. It's not on or even recording but just so they can get used to it's presence and loosen up so they act more naturally.

You've got a good start as you will have an eye for composition and a working knowledge of many of the techniques and technologies from your photography experience already.

You're a braver man than me that's for sure! Go for it!

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So frustrating! I was going to buy a webcam for my streaming the next time I get money, but they increased the price with 40€! They are probably bumping up prices in time for Christmas.T_T

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

Did a video with just my iPhone and thought it came out quite good! Sounds wasn't as bad as I fared. So might stick with just using my iPhone instead of using my Sony A7 with microphone.

Reactions: Li Kao

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finally back! Didn't do videos when I was sick but all good now. Also I think I have a talent for clickbaty thumbnails haha

You are incredibly brave to do these videos. I wouldn't have the guts to do them. I am sure that you will improve if you keep pumping these videos out regularly. Practice makes perfect!

BTW, my advice would be write down the thoughts of yours. What are the things (ie. ultimate goal) you want to improve on? Is there a roadmap that try to split the ultimate goal into stages? Any possible pros, and more importantly, cons? Things to sacrifice? Many clever people can do this in their heads, but as a commoner, I prefer writing them down so they can be easily referred to.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
You are incredibly brave to do these videos. I wouldn't have the guts to do them. I am sure that you will improve if you keep pumping these videos out regularly. Practice makes perfect!

BTW, my advice would be write down the thoughts of yours. What are the things (ie. ultimate goal) you want to improve on? Is there a roadmap that try to split the ultimate goal into stages? Any possible pros, and more importantly, cons? Things to sacrifice? Many clever people can do this in their heads, but as a commoner, I prefer writing them down so they can be easily referred to.
Yeah once I have started to get the hang of making videos I want to plan them more. Right now the biggest hurdle is actually making a video.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Did edit the video fully in Davinci Resolve this time! Took way longer than expected for very little results haha, hopefully it will go faster as I learn and can start to make better edits.

Also positive vibes for Christmas!

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I recommend you lower the bg.music volume somewhat, your voice should be clearer/louder in comparison :)

I liked your top games video! otherwise Im not really your audience, unfortunately, I rarely watch yt videos anymore. (my kind of content was Totalbiscuits "WTF is..." series – just showcasing new games, basically).

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I recommend you lower the bg.music volume somewhat, your voice should be clearer/louder in comparison :)

I liked your top games video! otherwise Im not really your audience, unfortunately, I rarely watch yt videos anymore. (my kind of content was Totalbiscuits "WTF is..." series – just showcasing new games, basically).
Ah yeah I should have checked the sound more, in editing it sounded ok.

Also I have no idea who’s my target audience haha! That’s something I will find as I experiment to find my own voice on YouTube

Reactions: LEANIJA
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

New video! And I'm now done with celebrating 2021. :)

Interesting about "my target audience", like I like gaming the most and want to do a bigger push for that, BUT gaming videos do the worst, my biggest video is where I talk about my regrets.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I've been watching a couple of your videos and they're pretty cool :D

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

I got a new microphone! The sound is better, BUT it picks up a lot more though! So now I have slight echo and stuff.

But now I have finally a set up that put zero obstacles in making video, at least when I sit by my computer. So now I can't use that as an excuse for not making video.:D

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

Things get spicy!

Think I have the sound figured out now. I put in a setting and it seems to record pretty good! Bad thing is that it still picks up so much and can hear the work that is done in the building, but not too much thankfully.

• Eyes